• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 NFL Draft - Wake Prospects Discussion

My concern about replacing Sage next season (if he leaves) is that we're already replacing Washington, Hinton, and Claude. If 4 of the two-deep need to be replaced, we're expecting basically all of Perry, Greene, Groulx, Jones, and Isaac to be ready, which I think is a risk. We'd be a lot better off with a proven starter returning.

We'll be losing Freudenthal, too. But we should return Roberson. Very valid point (and concern) of having an inexperienced WR-core.

Probably a good problem to have, because continued strong play from Sage will likely mean continued strong results from Wake (rather than Sage falling off a cliff, which could result in the team also falling off a cliff).

Last edited:
My concern about replacing Sage next season (if he leaves) is that we're already replacing Washington, Hinton, and Claude. If 4 of the two-deep need to be replaced, we're expecting basically all of Perry, Greene, Groulx, Jones, and Isaac to be ready, which I think is a risk. We'd be a lot better off with a proven starter returning.

But on that note, I could see Jamie and Sage looking at the turnover this year and deciding it's their best shot to leave. The offense could take a step back next season with many positions changing over. If they get draft projections, can't fault them for taking it.

We must also acknowledge that Higgins has NFL experience and knows how to coach up the WR corps. Brent and Dortch are both hanging around the league, and I'm pretty confident the young back up WR's will ultimately develop/produce under his tutelage regardless of whether Sage or Washington leave early.

If they're good enough, they're old enough.

In other words.... Stop worrying so damn much.

Should the title of this thread be changed to include Surratt, Boogie, Bassey, Washington, Newman and Herron?

Last edited:
And the Clemson game 2011 and the Navy game and the UVA game and...Grobe wins those and his overall performance incredible. Instead, he was like great, then not as great.

If Wake had won that damn BC game we would've gone back to the ACCCG.

We had a pretty darn good chance of going 3 out of 6 years. 2007 we were up 14-0 at BC week 1, but we collapsed after the Skinner injury. 2008 the drop by Marshall Williams at State and then the BC loss at home. 2011 the collapse in the 4th quarter in death valley. What could've been.

I still have that mag. A lot of people claimed at the time that our ranking had something to do with the entire back cover being an RJ Reynolds ad.

Having a number of guys talked about as NFL draft prospects helps with the narrative that Wake is a legitimate team, not just a team that has won some games with a "gimmick" slow RPO offense. It also reinforces Clawson's pitch to his select three star guys that you can come to Wake play and train hard, and then walk out with a real education and NFL scouts sniffing hard after you.

This year Wake may have more NFL prospects than has been the case in many years.

Those who will finish their eligibility at Wake:
Justin Herron. Left tackles don't fall off every turnip truck
Scotty Washington. Makes 50-50 balls into 90-10 his. Huge catch radius. Just don't hit him on the numbers.
Cade Carney. There is a place for a guy who can move the pile for a tough yard or two.
Essang Bassey. Every team needs good corners.
Justin Strnad. Prototypical NFL linebacker size. And speed to play sideline to sideline. Some announcer will have to figure out how to pronounce his name.
Kendall Hinton. Enough size for the NFL. Elusive. tough to tackle in space, good hands. And has the added dimension of being an ex-quarterback, could be useful in "Philly Special" style trick plays.

Guys with eligibility remaining after this year:
Sage Surratt: tall and athletic receiver. See Scott Washington note, except you can hit Sage in the numbers or just about anywhere.
Jamie Newman: He has NFL size, can make all the throws, and is a very good runner. He also reads defenses well.

Boogie Basham: Teams need to either double team him or plan on running away from him. A disruptor on defense.

Very future:
Kenneth Walker III: He has "running back vision" that allows him to "see" holes before they are actually created, and the acceleration to get through them in a hurry. He needs to improve some other aspects of his game, but he looks like an NFL prospect as a runner.

If I squinted when watching the Colts - Chiefs game last night, I saw Jamie Newman at QB for the Colts. I know people have really liked what Brissett has done for the Colts, but to me, he is Jamie Newman minus the money deep throw.

Back