• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

the white trash losers hate happy/successful people and that’s what it’s all about: making winners as miserable as they are.

...Turns out that they're the ones who want to stick it to the business and professional upper middle class, hate and distrust college-educated experts, and deeply resent anyone who has it better than they do and just want to see them suffer...

Why are you all posting this classist bullshit? 4 years of Trump and your conclusion is that Trump voters hate "successful" "middle class" "winners"? Jesus Fucking Christ, you're both morons.

Just when I thought the Democrats here couldn't get their heads any further up their own asses, wow.

I'll be soo glad when we can finally get the Cheeto In Chief out of the Oval Office so we can end this long terrible oppression of educated suburbanites. fuckin twats

Why are you all posting this classist bullshit? 4 years of Trump and your conclusion is that Trump voters hate "successful" "middle class" "winners"? Jesus Fucking Christ, you're both morons.

I'm sure that all of those folks who hate Fauci and won't wear masks have no resentments or suspicion of educated folk. Rural resentment of more prosperous urban areas has been around in American history for a long, long time. Having grown up among working-class rural white folk, I know from personal experience all the resentments that exist there. But you do you.

I'm sure that all of those folks who hate Fauci and won't wear masks have no resentments or suspicion of educated folk. Rural resentment of more prosperous urban areas has been around in American history for a long, long time. Having grown up among working-class rural white folk, I know from personal experience all the resentments that exist there. But you do you.

The same working class rural white folk who have sworn loyalty to the man most associated with New York City who own properties along the coasts. It’s not that simple.

It’s not classist to point out: rural poor and lower middle class white people (especially the men) gave us trump; it’s all about owning the libs (a point repeatedly endorsed throughout the boards); they arbor animosities towards experts, the educated, the universities, urban areas, inclusivity, progress, etc.

I believe in policies that promote meritocratic principals and provide a solid, but limited, safety net. I want to help those people. I want to keep Obamacare in tact. I want a more progressive tax system. They want to own the libs. They want to hurt people who don’t look like them. Hillary called them deplorables, I called them white trash losers. Same difference.

It’s not classist to point out: rural poor and lower middle class white people (especially the men) gave us trump; it’s all about owning the libs (a point repeatedly endorsed throughout the boards); they arbor animosities towards experts, the educated, the universities, urban areas, inclusivity, progress, etc.

I believe in policies that promote meritocratic principals and provide a solid, but limited, safety net. I want to help those people. I want to keep Obamacare in tact. I want a more progressive tax system. They want to own the libs. They want to hurt people who don’t look like them. Hillary called them deplorables, I called them white trash losers. Same difference.

Trump voters were still by majority suburban or urban, but definitely white:

2-4.png

And generally speaking his voters weren't poor either: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-mythology-of-trumps-working-class-support/

Anyway what you're pushing for does sound a lot like a Biden presidency.

Yes. I recognize a lot of middle/upper middle class people genuinely believed Trump or any republican would be better for their bottom line. I have a harder time condemning them than voters who would have benefitted from the democratic platform but chose to follow the hate and vitriol spewing from the trump campaign instead. I vote against my short term personal economic interest because in the long run I think it’s better for the country and me.

And yes, I’m a Biden fan.

Lol that's pretty much the definition of classism or class politics then, idk what you could possibly mean otherwise to demonize poor Trump voters but give rich Trump voters a pass, just because you understand one group's motivations and not another's.

Lol that's pretty much the definition of classism or class politics then, idk what you could possibly mean otherwise to demonize poor Trump voters but give rich Trump voters a pass, just because you understand one group's motivations and not another's.

Because I understand voting for your personal economic interest and don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing. Like I said, I vote for what I think is in my own long term best interest, even if there might be some short term sacrifice. But when you’re voting against your own interest to hurt people, I have a problem with that. And that’s what the trump movement was.

I think we already live in a classist society and it’s a huge problem. It’s very difficult in this country to move from lower to upper, way more than it should be. The answer isn’t to demonize brown people. I’ve referenced policies that would help. I don’t hate or disparage anyone for the amount of money they make, and having money doesn’t get my respect.

Because I understand voting for your personal economic interest and don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing. Like I said, I vote for what I think is in my own long term best interest, even if there might be some short term sacrifice. But when you’re voting against your own interest to hurt people, I have a problem with that. And that’s what the trump movement was.

I'd argue that's what a lot of poor GOP voters think too. Sure, tax cuts don't help them now, that money isn't trickling down. But the short term austerity vote is good, they're just a few years away from being rich too, so long as taxes stay low and there's a fair playing field with low regulations and they can say what they want at work and Merry Christmas at the bank, good!

Back