• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

As I understand it, Center & Sailor don't want to consider race as an extenuating political qualification for President(?), but Ph believes they should consider race, because Black people (women?) have to be even more qualified (than whites) to succeed in politics, therefore the baseline Black presidential candidate will be more qualified than the baseline white candidate. Ph, is that the argument? That being "race blind" in politics means ignoring the extrordinary circumstances that Black politicians overcome?

Last edited:
To be fair, I think I'm a pretty smart guy, and I'm having a difficult time figuring out what I'm supposed to consider and when and how much. I think living in a world where no ones life is harder or easier because of their race is an good goal, but totally agree it's not reality.

Today’s Opening Arguments podcast is a great analysis of Harris’ record.

center, there has been plenty written about how Secretary of State Kemp rigged the game so candidate Kemp could become Governor Kemp. Even more has been written about all the ways voting rights of Black people have been infringed upon especially in the South.

LOL - The Abrams excuse machine continues to chug right along.

The game was so rigged in Georgia back in the Jim Crow days of 2018 that black voter turnout actually exceeded white voter turnout despite the fact whites make up over a majority of state population.

Unfortunately I don't have a Facebook anecdote to share but below is a link to a study on 2018 voter turnout by the alt-right Brookings Institute:

https://www.brookings.edu/research/2018-voter-turnout-rose-dramatically-for-groups-favoring-democrats-census-confirms/

LOL - The Abrams excuse machine continues to chug right along.

The game was so rigged in Georgia back in the Jim Crow days of 2018 that black voter turnout actually exceeded white voter turnout despite the fact whites make up over a majority of state population.

Unfortunately I don't have a Facebook anecdote to share but below is a link to a study on 2018 voter turnout by the alt-right Brookings Institute:

https://www.brookings.edu/research/2018-voter-turnout-rose-dramatically-for-groups-favoring-democrats-census-confirms/

You realize they cite voter turnout as a percentage of the population, not as raw numbers?

As I understand it, Center & Sailor don't want to consider race as an extenuating political qualification for President(?), but Ph believes they should consider race, because Black people (women?) have to be even more qualified (than whites) to succeed in politics, therefore the baseline Black presidential candidate will be more qualified than the baseline white candidate. Ph, is that the argument? That being "race blind" in politics means ignoring the extrordinary circumstances that Black politicians overcome?

No. I'm saying someone shouldn't have to reduce me from a Black man to just a man to acknowledge my ability. It implies that being Black is a bad thing. It speaks volumes that when asked to believe that Black = White, some people find it easier to just ignore it.

No. I'm saying someone shouldn't have to reduce me from a Black man to just a man to acknowledge my ability. It implies that being Black is a bad thing. It speaks volumes that when asked to believe that Black = White, some people find it easier to just ignore it.

Well, you are well spoken. HUZZAH!

Cry me a river. It doesn't mean anything besides I address and interact with you regardless of race. Doesn't change my support for affirmative action or the ticket. I was taught to treat people the same and understand that I don't understand what it's like to be of a different race.

I don't see me being reduced from a White man to just a man. Is being white less? You are a tool.

Last edited:
You shouldn’t have to ignore someone’s race to respect them.

You shouldn't have to respect someone based on race. You do it as a human.

You shouldn't have to respect someone based on race. You do it as a human.

It’s not based on race. Someone’s heritage is part of who they are. Respect it. It’s not difficult. Why do you have to ignore someone’s background in order to respect them? Respect people for who they are, not for who you would prefer them to be.

Last edited:
Respect is based on actions. Politeness is good manners.

Last edited:
Hate to break it to you, I don't care that you are black. If we met and you were wearing Wake gear, I'd shake your hand and say go Deacs. Otherwise, I'd hold a door for you or if we were close give you my place in line.

I know you don’t care. That’s what we are talking about. I’m saying you should.

But it’s funny you say you’d say “Go Deacs” if I was wearing Wake gear. The closest experience I’ve had to being Black was being a Wake fan during Wake-UNC games at the Dean Dome.

Last edited:
So...seeing someone visibly marked as a Wake fan is not something you would ignore?

But you might be polite to and overlook/ignore UNC gear someone else is wearing?

Back