• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

Kavanaugh is not qualified for the court. They way he behaved during testimony was ridiculous. Justice Roberts threw out something near 100 complaints of misconduct lodged against him because... he was seated on the court. I'd be ok if a dem controlled congress impeached him.

Was not referring to how Kavanaugh handled the circus that was his confirmation hearing. Was referring to Kavanaugh's experience as a Supreme Court clerk and twelve years as a Circuit Court Judge. It's not like Trump nominated Eric Trump to the Court.

SCOTUS will always be political, they are appointed by politicians after all, so I don't think Dems should be afraid to exercise their political power when they have it. Why would you wait for the inevitable terrible ruling, instead of preempting it from the start?

Public buy in.

Edited to add I agree with deaconson that Kavanaugh is not qualified because of his behavior in the process. Matt Damon's portrayal of him on SNL was not a stretch at all, much like Fey's portrayal of Palin in 2008.

Last edited:
Fair point about those qualifications, however, you can't separate that from his temperament and actions while performing his previous job. That doesn't even include potentially lying under oath during both confirmation hearings.

If the public no longer has faith that the Supreme Court is a legitimate institution, then the institution needs to change to restore that faith. I don't think just waiting out some deaths/retirements will solve the problem.

Likely have too much faith in the system, but I'm generally against changing the rules of the way the Supreme Court has operated since 1869. There have been times when the Court has been considered too liberal or too conservative, but everything runs in cycles. Also, while I detest the hypocrisy of the way the nomination process operated in 2016 versus 2020, it's not like Trump's two nominees Gorsuch and Kavanaugh are in lock step during their brief time on the Court; the fact is that both those guys are qualified for the Court, and don't think they will follow a strict conservative line. They have already disagreed on opinions. Even with Amy Coney Barrett and her weird People of Praise background, I'm not convinced that the Supreme Court will be as much of a problem if Biden is elected and Dems control the Senate (which is an assumption that may not be realized).

Finally, if the Dems take the step of changing the structure of the Court, that further opens pandora's box for future changes when control shifts back.

All of that said, I'm not concerned about packing the court or changing the rules for the Judge's tenures right now, and agree with Biden's position to not address the issue for now. Let's get Trump out; take as many seats as we can in Senate, and then assess.

This is the same shit of expecting the Dems to play by the old rules and allowing the Pubs to play by the new rules that they are making up as they go along to abuse the system.

Public buy in.

Edited to add I agree with deaconson that Kavanaugh is not qualified because of his behavior in the process. Matt Damon's portrayal of him on SNL was not a stretch at all, much like Fey's portrayal of Palin in 2008.

He also lied while under oath.

Regardless of the overall way it plays out in this election and moving forward, Antifa is not an organization and the disdain that the right feels about it is more about their contempt for the anti-conservative ideals they express than “violence.” Fox News knows this and preys on highlighting the latter to scare their voters into submission which is the conservative playbook in 2020.

Sad that these are the "swing voters" tilting our elections.

Trump's latest nominee is 48 years old. I'm sure we can just wait this thing out for another 35-40 years.

Or, as soon as Biden is elected, I'm sure some of the older conservative justices will retire to allow Biden to nominate some liberal justices.

Pandora's box was opened when McConnell allowed filibustering of Obama's judges and then refused a vote on Garland.

That's one of the issues I had with that article - it kept going back to FDR's attempt to pack the court, but that was a totally different situation than today. The justices who kept voting against FDR's New Deal programs were old men who were soon replaced by FDR with more liberal justices. The GOP is now deliberately picking much younger justices who will sit on the Court for decades, so it's very unlikely that the Democrats will get a chance to really change the balance of the Court anytime soon. That's one of the ways that the GOP has changed the game with choosing nominees. Also, as someone else pointed out, the article admits that McConnell and the GOP have already "shredded the norms of the democratic process" but then says that the Democrats shouldn't respond in kind or reform the Court in some way because it just works itself out. That's not a realistic response to the current situation.

Sad that these are the "swing voters" tilting our elections.

I have a difficult time, to be honest, seeing how any of those people voted for Obama. They sound like dedicated Trumpites who would never support a liberal Democrat, their claims to be independent voters aside.

And Hope Hicks tests positive for COVID. She flew with Trump, unmasked, to the debate and has been in close proximity with him since. Trump just confirmed it on Hannity and said he's been tested and is waiting on the results.

I think the young hot brunette woman explained it when she said something like “millennials want something different than old white men and decorum” or something like that. Some people are just want whatever isn’t the establishment.

I don’t think that’s particularly unusual. McCain, Romney, Hillary, and Biden are all very establishment. Even starting early, I’d say HW was the last establishment candidate to win a Presidential election.

Last edited:
So...what�s the procedure for picking a replacement candidate if the presidential candidate dies before the election?

Does the VP candidate automatically step in or what?

Same for both parties?

What happens if an incumbent presidential candidate infects his challenger at a debate and that challenger then dies?

“I told you he was Sleepy Joe. He was too weak to beat the Chinese virus.”

What happens if an incumbent presidential candidate infects his challenger at a debate and that challenger then dies?

I believe the party can decide, and I'd imagine it would be a 99% chance the VP nominee would take over.

Back