• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

Pence’s social conservatism is unpalatable for plenty of conservatives and he doesn’t have the Donald cult behind him. No way he fares better against Biden than Donald IMO.

I don't think Mother would allow him to step in those shoes. Too many unsupervised interactions with women.

He'll be 78 in November. After he wins the election, he'll be between 78 and 82 throughout his presidency. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that an 80 year old man has a high likelihood of encountering a health problem that causes him to step down. In fact, I think it's unreasonable to assume that Biden serves all four years without some kind of serious health scare. I mean, we are in a pandemic.

That’s a weird fever dream from the right. Plenty of Americans make it to 80 just fine. My dad is a little older than Biden and he’s barely had any health challenges. As President, Biden would get excellent care.

Not only that, there are several members of Congress older than Biden including Pelosi, Hoyer, and Clyburn, the top three ranking Democrats in the House.

Is it ageist for me to be overwhelmingly depressed about how many goddamned super old people that are more than likely going to be dead within a decade make the decisions that will shape my kids' lives? Because if it is, I'm an ageist.

Is it ageist for me to be overwhelmingly depressed about how many goddamned super old people that are more than likely going to be dead within a decade make the decisions that will shape my kids' lives? Because if it is, I'm an ageist.

No, I'm with you.

You have to be 35 to run for President. I think you shouldn't be able to practice politics after 65, regardless of level.

The term “gerontocracy” has become very popular recently

The term “gerontocracy” has become very popular recently

Yep. I understand the concerns about ageism but when a generation has hoarded opportunity and actively made it harder to be an American, we cannot describe pushing back on that as ageism.

Yep. I understand the concerns about ageism but when a generation has hoarded opportunity and actively made it harder to be an American, we cannot describe pushing back on that as ageism.

Sure, I agree with you on that, where I might differ is that I believe a lot of Democrats who make that complaint would support the exact same politics from younger politicians. It’s the same political representation dilemma repeating itself - identity vs ideology. If the voters are old and the donors are old, the politics are going to be old, no matter how young the politician is.

Last edited:
If you’re worried about a candidate dying in office - that’s a legitimate age concern.If you’re worried about a platform that benefits older voters at the expense of younger voters, that’s an ideological concern.

That’s a weird fever dream from the right. Plenty of Americans make it to 80 just fine. My dad is a little older than Biden and he’s barely had any health challenges. As President, Biden would get excellent care.

Not only that, there are several members of Congress older than Biden including Pelosi, Hoyer, and Clyburn, the top three ranking Democrats in the House.

Equivocating "plenty of Americans" with individuals serving in the office of the president is flawed. The toll that office takes on the men who have served is extreme.

That's a fair concern. I think the issue is more about awareness of how issues impact younger people along with a sense of urgency. There is also the difference in political approach. Even younger "centrists" are more on board with ending the filibuster and changing the composition of the Supreme Court. Go back to the early primary, Pete embraced both well before Bernie and Warren did. There is identity. There's ideology. And there's tactics. I'd argue that this generation of Democrats centrists and progressive have failed us more on tactics than identity or ideology. Their tactics are rooted in a fear of the Reagan revolution and a lack of understanding that Republicans have only won the popular vote once since 1988.

Younger Democrats realize Republicans are full of shit and are just a white grievance party with no real agenda aside from amassing power and wealth. If all of a sudden there was a young blue wave, and every Democrat in Congress was between 30-60 years old, there would be plenty of ideological differences. But the one thing they'd largely agree on is that Republicans are full of shit and we shouldn't be oppressed by the need to compromise with them. Sure some would want to address the debt and some would more more squishy on universal health care. But that would be more about ideology and less about appeasing Republicans.

Last edited:

same here

Wtfff I’m legit shocked to learn this also

I’m shocked you all are shocked. Remember when the young blue wave came in and forced her to say she’d step down as Speaker in a few terms and got some younger people in leadership?

Our young best and brightest don't do into politics/civil service. They don't go into engineering and science.

They go into fucking finance and write investment algorithms and gamble on fantasy football

I don’t want to get into that same argument with PH. I will say that concern about age turns into ageism when an older politician is stereotyped to be more conservative; similarly when younger people and minorities are stereotyped to be more progressive than they actually are. Identitarian representation serves its own purpose, but it’s not ideologically consistent.

What is the longest amount of time Trump has gone between tweets? Bc it's been radio silence since the tweet announcing he and his wife have tested positive for Covid. And I'm not convinced he wrote that tweet or the one just prior about Hope Hicks. Not even a retweet.

Back