• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

What happens if an incumbent presidential candidate infects his challenger at a debate and that challenger then dies?

It's very possible that the existence of America could be threatened if Trump dies, Biden wins, then cedes the presidency to Harris w/in <2 years. Even for a country as dynamic as America, that's just way too fucking much change in too short of a time. The 2024 election would be a god damned nightmare of chaos.

I could 100% see certain states saying, "fuck it, we're out" at that point.

Why would Biden cede to Harris? What conspiracy theories are you listening to?

Why would Biden cede to Harris? What conspiracy theories are you listening to?

He'll be 78 in November. After he wins the election, he'll be between 78 and 82 throughout his presidency. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that an 80 year old man has a high likelihood of encountering a health problem that causes him to step down. In fact, I think it's unreasonable to assume that Biden serves all four years without some kind of serious health scare. I mean, we are in a pandemic.

It's very possible that the existence of America could be threatened if Trump dies, Biden wins, then cedes the presidency to Harris w/in <2 years. Even for a country as dynamic as America, that's just way too fucking much change in too short of a time. The 2024 election would be a god damned nightmare of chaos.

Which states would that be? The Republican leaning ones that benefit massively from federal dollars? Ain’t no red state leaving anytime soon. Texas and Florida might be the only two that could possibly make it alone, but both are purple now, and it would be incredibly dumb for them to leave.

I do agree that some of the blue collar white dudes that Knight loves to bust his nut over would be pretty pissed off about having a black woman President.

People are saying this is all a ploy to pull a Pete Gaudet on Pence.

Which states would that be? The Republican leaning ones that benefit massively from federal dollars? Ain’t no red state leaving anytime soon. Texas and Florida might be the only two that could possibly make it alone, but both are purple now, and it would be incredibly dumb for them to leave.

States that wouldn’t have the economic or military capital for a sustained effort that trying to secede would entail. That’s for sure.

In my first two years I taught Texas history as part of the 8th American History curriculum and I spent a solid week teaching my students about how much of an abject failure the Republic of Texas was. They got bailed out hard by the U.S. in 1845. Another year and Mexico would have retaken the territory and a lot of cocky ass racist white dudes would have been slaughtered.

I think the last civil war showed us that succession isn't always perfectly rational or the "best" way to do something.

succession-s1-ka-1920-e1566168262667.jpg

I think the last civil war showed us that succession isn't always perfectly rational or the "best" way to do something.

Different times man. The world is much smaller and states have basically no power today, none of them can function without the teet of the federal government.

If a state or two left their economies wound instantly shut down. Food chains, technology, power, water, etc. are all interstate commerce. Hell all you’d have to do was cut off their WiFi and cell service for a week and the entire state would surrender.

I get that’s it a fap material for bigots and other Low T losers who can’t cope with the realities of the modern world, but that shit ain’t happening dog.

Last edited:

i'm down for the imagination but i'm having a hard time seeing state secession as an outcome under modern capitalism

the relationship/dependence between federal and state governments strikes me as too stark for chaotic elections to unravel

it'd have to be more than just chaos

He also doesn’t really have the support of the base. They love trump. They don’t give a shit about Mr. Mother.

Back