• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

Well buckle up. I’m worried this enthusiastic support from the right have more influence long term than the tepid support from the left.

I think that was true a year ago. They thought they could get rid of the racist, fascist, authoritarian wing. But they’re taking aim at the whole party now because they realize that wing is the GOP.

I’m honestly very torn - I want to destroy the Republican Party forever, but I don’t want the Democratic Party to absorb the moderate wing of the Republican Party.

I’m honestly very torn - I want to destroy the Republican Party forever, but I don’t want the Democratic Party to absorb the moderate wing of the Republican Party.

Exactly. Now if this whole ordeal helps them realize that conservatism has always been a sham and they start embracing the role of government, that would be great. I haven’t seen evidence of that yet. Right now they realize the party was a sham not as much the policies.

I think we will see a split among the never Trump wing between those who become Dems, remain independent, or go back and rebuild the GOP from the inside.

I feel like we're starting to talk exactly how we were before Hillary lost. "The right is going to have to do some soul searching after this election and find some common sense if they even want to continue to be a party after this!" Turns out, we drastically underestimated their ability to double down on idiocy.

Last edited:
Well, the common refrain was that Trump was in trouble and really needed a good debate performance. And then the debate was a debacle - and then the Covid thing happened (and is still happening) - and now Wall Street is starting to say that a big Biden win would be much better for the economy - and something else is certain to blow-up in the next week or so. A month or so ago, I would have said there is 0.01% that Trump bails out before election day. However, I now wonder if it becomes clear that he is just going to get blown out of the water and is not going to have much of a "rigged election"lever to pull, if he'll "retire" for health reasons toward the end of Oct in order to avoid the embarrassment of a blow-out loss. Especially if he really does end up with some lingering Covid health problems. I'm not saying there is a great chance of it happening, but it seems like his campaign really started circling the toilet over the last week plus. And if he truly knows he is going to get beat bad and has an excuse to say "I probably would have won if I didn't get the Chinese Virus", I wouldn't put it past him to bail.

Like the theory, but at this point, feel like Trump is so delusional that he believes he can win, even if the polls say that he cannot. If Trump does lose decisively, will love watching the Republicans dive off the bandwagon and the Trump response. If Trump goes down, he's going to want to take everyone that he can with him.

Yeah never forget how stupid Americans are, just look at the coronavirus response. Barr will probably drop something the week before the election that claims Biden conspired with China to engineering the virus and take down America and dumb people will eat that shit up. Only saving grace is undecideds are almost non-existent this election in comparison to like 16 percent in 2016.

Well, the common refrain was that Trump was in trouble and really needed a good debate performance. And then the debate was a debacle - and then the Covid thing happened (and is still happening) - and now Wall Street is starting to say that a big Biden win would be much better for the economy - and something else is certain to blow-up in the next week or so. A month or so ago, I would have said there is 0.01% that Trump bails out before election day. However, I now wonder if it becomes clear that he is just going to get blown out of the water and is not going to have much of a "rigged election"lever to pull, if he'll "retire" for health reasons toward the end of Oct in order to avoid the embarrassment of a blow-out loss. Especially if he really does end up with some lingering Covid health problems. I'm not saying there is a great chance of it happening, but it seems like his campaign really started circling the toilet over the last week plus. And if he truly knows he is going to get beat bad and has an excuse to say "I probably would have won if I didn't get the Chinese Virus", I wouldn't put it past him to bail.

I don't think the President is going to get blown out of the water. I think the best Biden does is something like 293-245, which is winning back PA/MI/WI, adding AZ, and holding serve everywhere else. And that assumes he wins at all.

I feel like we're starting to talk exactly how we were before Hillary lost. "The right is going to have to do some soul searching after this election and find some common sense if they even want to continue to be a party after this!" Turns out, we drastically underestimated their ability to double down on idiocy.

That’s a good point, I slipped up and gave moderate Republicans far more faith than they deserve. I’m getting soft and naive in my old age. Best not count chickens before they hatch.

What swayed the 2016 election was the October surprise which had the legitimacy the FBI with Comey. Now, the WH and the DOJ have such credibility problems that any claim they make won't be believed by anyone except people who were going to vote for Trump anyway. 12% thought he was being truthful about his sickness.

Also, there wasn't democrat enthusiasm to vote, but if you look at the pictures you see early voting and the absentee voting, that isn't the case.

I think Trump is going to lose, and lose big.

I don't think there is any chance Trump admits defeat to coronavirus/health issues. No way. He would use the loss an an opportunity to access a ton of media attention, who is happy to provide him the coverage to go unhinged, to denounce the election and play the victim for personal gain.

Trump just tweeted no more negotiations on a stimulus until after the election. but then they'll pass it and it'll be great !

Yeah. Saw this article from Oct 23, 2016 about Hillary’s 12 point lead. It was 50-38, so 12% were also undecided.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/23/politics/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-presidential-polls/index.html

Compare that to today’s CNN Poll showing Biden up 57-41, only 2% undecided.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/06/politics/cnn-poll-biden-trump-2020-election/index.html

Trump won with 46.1% of the vote. If he gets that percentage this time, it means Biden got over 50% probably well above.

Trump just tweeted that he's instructing the GOP to hold off on any stimulus agreement until after the election, which seems crazy stupid from a political standpoint.

He probably realized they can't print and send out the letters proclaiming they are Trump bucks and to all praise dear leader before the election is held.

Trump just tweeted no more negotiations on a stimulus until after the election. but then they'll pass it and it'll be great !

Pretty wild that the Democrats want to pass a stimulus bill, which would help Trump in terms of the election, but Trump keeps blowing up talks.

Wild indeed. One party is willing to compromise and try to do shit that's needed...the other constantly says "FU".

That is the story of American politics for at least 25 years.

But it's getting worse and worse. You could sorta work with Boehner and Ryan. Ain't no working with McConnell and what's left in the house. Our country is broken.

Back