• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

Right. Somehow "tax and spend" or spending money we have is not seeing as fiscal responsibility but cutting taxes for the rich and spending money we don't have is fiscal responsibility.

I'm actually of the mind that apart from the moderately regressive tax structure in America, our taxes are probably too high generally. Corporate taxes certainly so. Where I'm 100% with conservatives is in simplifying the tax code; of course it is lobbyists for corporate and ultra-wealthy concerns who intentionally write tax law to make it extremely complicated and create loopholes. Were we to essentially eliminate all deductions entirely and make an extremely simple progressive tax structure starting at 0 for people at 1.25x poverty line and capping at something like 25% > $1MM but making it impossible to do any kind of tax avoidance, not only would it be easier to collect revenues (and avoid tax cheating), it'd lower the administrative overhead too. Just funding the IRS would accomplish some of these aims too. Simple shit!

And before we pat ourselves on the back as Democrats, let's be clear that IN TODAY'S PARTY, the Dem House gave trump 3/4 of a $TN for the Pentagon without any oversight and Biden thinks we should boost military and police spending.

I am sorta curious where she gets this notion she keeps repeating about her taking on the big banks. Presumably it was the 2012 mortgage settlement, but like....banks got a much, much bigger bailout than penalty and no criminal prosecution was brought in light of rampant fraud. 10 million people lost their homes. If we'd actually followed the laws on the loans themselves, we'd essentially have wiped out the banking industry full-stop.

Not saying any GOP leader would have done better, but I think it's pretty brazen and dishonest that she keeps touting this as an accomplishment. She wasn't even seated when the negotiations with banks started in 2010, and when Obama did eventually pressure AGs into a deal, of the $25BN they got from banks, only $1.5BN actually got allotted to people who lost homes fraudulently, to the tune of $1480 per homeowner. The settlement Harris and other AGs negotiated said states (who got most of the money) could do whatever with they wanted with it, so in California, for example, the governor at the time just used his $400MM to balance the budget.

For a keystone part of what's supposed to make her a great "for the people" candidate, it's really brazenly horseshit.

lol. Harris embellishing her role in fighting the big banks, is not at all and equivalent lie to Pence completely making up that swine flu could have killed 7 million Americans.

I'm actually of the mind that apart from the moderately regressive tax structure in America, our taxes are probably too high generally. Corporate taxes certainly so. Where I'm 100% with conservatives is in simplifying the tax code; of course it is lobbyists for corporate and ultra-wealthy concerns who intentionally write tax law to make it extremely complicated and create loopholes. Were we to essentially eliminate all deductions entirely and make an extremely simple progressive tax structure starting at 0 for people at 1.25x poverty line and capping at something like 25% > $1MM but making it impossible to do any kind of tax avoidance, not only would it be easier to collect revenues (and avoid tax cheating), it'd lower the administrative overhead too. Just funding the IRS would accomplish some of these aims too. Simple shit!

I’m for that. Fund the IRS and empower them to get the tax cheats. Create a super simple tax code. And I would be fine getting rid of corporate taxes if people weren’t allowed to treat corporations like piggy banks.

The Dem party candidate's tax proposal calls for an increase to the corporate tax rate from 21% to 28% in addition to raising individual income, capital gains, and payroll taxes.

In what universe is this considered 'economically conservative'?

In the Universe of the 1960's America, when tax rates were much higher because we didn't want to make our kids and grand kids pay for our war toys, spaceships, interstate highways.

The Dem party candidate's tax proposal calls for an increase to the corporate tax rate from 21% to 28% in addition to raising individual income, capital gains, and payroll taxes.

In what universe is this considered 'economically conservative'?

Joe Biden's proposed tax rates are lower than St. Reagan's.

lol. Harris embellishing her role in fighting the big banks, is not at all and equivalent lie to Pence completely making up that swine flu could have killed 7 million Americans.

nothing in this life is equivalent to what the trump/pence administration is doing

nothing in this life is equivalent to what the trump/pence administration is doing

this is one example among many where dems and pubs play by entirely different rules

pence may well be sourcing the fodder for his stump speeches and debate lines from something trump read on the fox news facebook comment section, and if called on it could simply say he's relying on the voice of the people, that they don't need to listen to the swamp

and biden and harris are naturally held to higher standards (as obama was before them) because they're trying to fit narrowly into the norms defined by the media and dc political classes

We really do love complicated practices and then when it comes to changing them its a, too complicated why try attitude we will just stick with this crazy shit. Medical billing and insurance, and then taxes are another. Will somebody think of the accountants and the administrators!!!!

this is probably a wildly unpopular opinion on here but i'm finding these unhinged trump videos insanely entertaining

If you vote a straight Dem ticket (presumably because Orange Man Baddddd) you are not right of center.

That means you support center left to progressive policies regardless of the party affiliation listed on your voter registration.

Or it could mean that the GOP has been so complacent and complicit in allowing and enabling Trump to destroy our country and they have been clearly outed as putting their own power and influence ahead of the good of the country that voting a straight Democrat ticket is one way of saying "Enough!"

But that was the premise of DeacPops' bothsides post and you were responding to a response to him. Maybe I misunderstood the sequence though.

Look I completely agree re: the bozos here defending the Trump white house.

But for a moment let's not let the GOP's actions be the bar to clear. You'd asked for something brazenly dishonest Kamala said, and this is it for me. It's like Biden changing his line about Iraq or the crime bill over time, really very dishonest.

The settlement banks got away with in 2012 wasn't "standing up to banks" or even meaningfully regulating them. You couple it with the bailout and not pursuing any criminal prosecution and it's more akin to enabling their activities than it is standing up to them. If Kamala were on a committee or were in Congress getting testimony out of bank executives a la Warren or Katie Porter, even that would be standing up to banks. But her job was negotiating with them something that wouldn't be too punitive to stop the financial recovery of Wall St. It was the equivalent of a one week revenue penalty for banks who intentionally defrauded Americans and cratered the economy for half a decade; she shouldn't really be taking credit for standing up to them. Mnuchin was one of her biggest donors!

What I was asking for, which I guess I wasn’t clear on, was something she said last night in the debate that was on that level, in response to folks like deacspop and bkf bosiding the debate. Maybe she did say it and I missed it, but if so it was far outweighed in my mind by the total bullshit coming out of that ventriloquist dummy.

I do want to bold that one line though. In this case it’s the exact bar to clear IMO.

this is probably a wildly unpopular opinion on here but i'm finding these unhinged trump videos insanely entertaining

How much more paint does motherfucker have to slather on before it's considered blackface?

you think he walked all the way out that far on the lawn or he was carted out?

Green screen fasho

Also Mayor Pete has donk tendencies but he’s been tremendous as a surrogate on Fox News. Just so clearly lays his points out.

Back