• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

As someone who voted for Trump the first time around--Sorry my bad y'all--, I would be an example of an individual who represents a much larger group of white dudes who is voting against him this time.

In my family alone, which has historically voted for Pubs, I have 3 other white males who voted for him 2016 but definitely aren't now. In speaking with many other friends and extended family members, he has lost probably 30% of the CreamyGoodness family tree of voters. I'm pretty sure unless the "silent majority" is extra, extra silent this go-around, that he won't be able to make up for the voters like me and my family.

I know this is somewhat anecdotal, but I do actually believe it is a common theme among independently thinking white dudes across the country.

He will have to clean house with the black and Hispanic voters to stand a chance, which it sounds like he's doing better with.

What has caused his increased popularity with Latino and Black voters? I legit don’t understand that at all based off the last 4 years.

I think Trump is going to pick up some Black and Hispanic men who didn’t vote last time.

The “silent” group this cycle is people who voted for Trump in areas that were like 70-80% Trump who are voting against him this time but don’t want to alienate family and friends. Winning states like FL, NC, and GA are going to come from Biden getting 5-10% more of the vote in rural counties.

Nah. Men overall like the Trump bit. White men far more than other men.

“There’s good machismo,” Soto said, and there is “caudillo machismo,” referring to henchman-style leaders, whose style sometimes appeals to Latino men. For fans of caudillo machismo, he said, Trump’s aggressiveness appeals.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/18/biden-black-latino-voters-417473

I grew up enduring this shit. My hand got slapped if its wrist ever showed tendencies to think for itself, like that. In “The Macho Appeal of Donald Trump”, we learn nearly 30 percent of Hispanic voters who say they support him do so in part because he projects masculine energy, the New York Times reports. These voters want the bluster.

Other attendees at the event with Mr. Cejudo and Eric Trump spoke of watching Mr. Trump on “The Apprentice,” saying they liked his strong style, his apparent confidence in his own opinions. In interviews, they said they viewed his actions as president much in the same way: Even those they do not wholeheartedly agree with, they see as further evidence of his strength.

They said they saw his defiance of widely accepted medical guidance in the face of his own illness not as a sign of poor leadership, but one of a man who does his own research to reach his own conclusion. They see his disdain for masks as an example of his toughness, his incessant interruptions during the debate with Mr. Biden as an effective use of his power.

“We saw him being a boss,” said Edwin Gonzales, 31, who held a large American flag outside the Trump campaign office. “And for him to go down the escalator is basically the same thing — it’s like, ‘Dang, the boss has stepped down and he’s putting himself out there to be the president.’ That’s what’s exciting.”

I’ve explained — insisted on — the danger of regarding “Hispanic” or “Latino” as a bloc. But the kind of garbage I hear casually in checkout lanes and the sheer plenitude of the MAGA paraphernalia adduces the Trumpist’s grotesque gender politics. Some of those overhead comments? Women made them.

There’s a bit from an Ann Beattie story called “The Burning House” to which I’ve returned: “I’m going to tell you something about men. Men think they’re Spider-Man and Buck Rogers and Superman. You know what we all feel inside that you don’t feel? That we’re going to the stars.” The speaker? A man.

https://humanizingthevacuum.wordpress.com/2020/10/14/donald-trump-and-hispanic-machismo/

I mean, we rip on Trump and rightfully so, but what has Biden done to benefit the black and hispanic communities? Genuinely asking because I don't follow this stuff closely.

I guess Biden/Harris wanting to keep the ACA in tact could be a benefit to those communities, but I don't want to generalize.

Last edited:
There’s gotta be some irony in being able to blame black men and Latinos for a Trump re-election, right?

You are displaying your age, and not in a good way. There are these things called "phone books". They used to be free and super thick and delivered right to your door. You'd open it up and could find the name, address and home phone number of every person in your area code who did not "opt out" - which was a rare thing for someone to do. Now they are online and for a small fee you can still use them.

Thanks for that history lesson. We don’t have a home phone and I very seriously considered setting up a trust to own our house to bypass the property appraiser website disclosing our names.

This was very clearly somebody who had pulled the voter registration records.

In 2016, my wife and I both voted in the GOP primary for candidates that did not win.

After leaving my house, the woman got in and drove off clearly skipping my neighbors with the BLM sign and the Biden flag.

She left pretty quickly after I said we were voting for Biden. I thought it was interesting there was no follow up on either of the Senate races.

Thanks for that history lesson. We don’t have a home phone and I very seriously considered setting up a trust to own our house to bypass the property appraiser website disclosing our names.

In 2016, my wife and I both voted in the GOP primary for candidates that did not win.

After leaving my house, the woman got in and drove off clearly skipping my neighbors with the BLM sign and the Biden flag.

She left pretty quickly after I said we were voting for Biden. I thought it was interesting there was no follow up on either of the Senate races.

You're displaying Swansonesque tendencies.

"That's an invasion of my privacy."

"You think that's bad, go to Google Earth and type in your address."

It would have been funny if you ran after her yelling "Tell me if I should vote for Loeffler or Collins!!"

What has caused his increased popularity with Latino and Black voters? I legit don’t understand that at all based off the last 4 years.

1 - In Minneapolis alone a poll about whether people support abolishing the police showed it was the Limo Liberal crowd who was most supportive of that concept. A majority of those in the African American community were against it. So the whole "law and order" schtick actually has real appeal among those who are impacted by violent crime.

2 - Whether you like it or not, Trump has removed regulations that have made more jobs available to the African American and Hispanic communities. So there's that appeal.

3 - Hispanics are not in favor of abortion generally. So there's that appeal.

4 - Hispanics and African Americans are less tolerant of homosexuality per polls. Want to know why Mayor Pete garnered almost no African American support, this was at least part of the reason. I doubt that is driving many to vote for Trump. But he aligns better in this regard than does Biden.

5 - There are those in the Hispanic community who view Biden as unsupportive on matters of immigration.

6 - There are those in both communities who blame Biden for the 1994 crime bill - a bill who's history is not very well understood (even by many on this very board who either weren't alive at the time or weren't adults at the time).

Does any of the above mean fuck all overall, not really. African Americans will still vote over 85% for Biden. Biden will still win Hispanics by big margins. And if the turnout is sky high in those groups it just serves to dig a deeper hole for Trump so long as that turnout is higher relative to 2016 vs. white non-college educated voters.

2 is just wrong.

Are you going to vote for the party that promotes civil rights or the party that panders to white supremacist?

Had the same thing happen to me yesterday. Definitely used voter registration to target houses since the first question was whether I, my wife and my just-turned-18 son lived there. That was a little odd, since it was the first thing out of her mouth. After I asked her who she was with, and her answer, she asked three questions: if I would be voting for Biden, Cooper and Cunningham. Yes to all three and she was on her way. Not sure if it was a reason for visiting our house in particular, but during Trump's term both my wife and I have gone from registered Republican to registered Independent.

2 is just wrong.

Are you going to vote for the party that promotes civil rights or the party that panders to white supremacist?

2 is not wrong. It is factual. He's systematically done away with all sorts of regulations and is continuing to take steps to do so as we speak. And it is a fact that pre-covid unemployment was at low levels.

I'm not defending the choices people are making, but it is one of the reasons people are making those choices.

Back