• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

Pubs have cut back on plenty of regulations that protect the environment, mostly through executive actions, like opening up lots of public land for oil drilling and mining, charging the way species designated as “threatened” under the endangered species act are protected and the most egregious is the decision to decline to enforce the migratory bird act. These things are bad for birds and rare wildlife, but they do free up companies to, for example, initiate construction on a long delayed wind power farm next to a wetland because there is no longer incidental take protections for the threatened bird species that lives in the wetland.

Honest question.

How many companies would begin a major project with the possibility that the next potus would change those executive orders? Obviously there are unscrupulous actors out there but if an exec order reverses do they get to keep going because they broke ground? Need to stop?

Biggest con of the last decades...Republican politicians are better for the economy.

What's really hilarious about this is that I heard so many Republicans in 2016 and after talking about how they were supporting Trump in part because he was such a great businessman. LOL. Everything he touches seems to lose money and go bankrupt eventually.

Honest question.

How many companies would begin a major project with the possibility that the next potus would change those executive orders? Obviously there are unscrupulous actors out there but if an exec order reverses do they get to keep going because they broke ground? Need to stop?

I’m not certain, but I imagine you could argue in court that when you started the project your actions were legal and so you should be allowed to continue the project. For example, there is currently a mad rush to get the drilling rights to ANWR auctioned so that when the next president recloses the refuge to drilling it will be really hard to revoke the leases already granted.

Last edited:
Lol at the notion of Trump the great businessman.

He’s a great charlatan and conman. Hopefully, we hold great business people to a higher standard.

My girlfriend is from NC and her friend sent us this. I'd love to see the shacks that are getting these. I wonder if their Trump flags will be at half staff on 11/4?

vN6UL7U

Playing with fivethirtyeights, mock electoral map,https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-biden-election-map/ , I am nervously projecting a narrow 278 to 260 win by Biden. The key states in my projection are Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Minnesota, where if Biden loses any of those then Trump wins. This exercise did not make me feel better about anything.

Playing with fivethirtyeights, mock electoral map,https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-biden-election-map/ , I am nervously projecting a narrow 278 to 260 win by Biden. The key states in my projection are Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Minnesota, where if Biden loses any of those then Trump wins. This exercise did not make me feel better about anything.

I don't think Ohio is all that important. I think it comes down to PA. If Biden wins PA, he can lose Ohio, WI, NC, and Florida and still reach 270. I don't think MN or MI will go for Trump.

are people as brain diseased by Facebook and stuff elsewhere? like are the Boris Johnson supporters in the UK all in on some British version of Q?

I could riff on this question for a long time, but yes Brits are every bit as brain damaged as Americans when it comes to conservatism, but even though theirs is a lot more xenophobic, the Tories since Cameron have still been very socially moderate compared to American wackos. It is funny how similar the playbooks are across the West to stop the left though (accuse of anti-semitism [even when the candidate is Jewish], use 1950s anti-communism propaganda, attack online supporters). The complicating factor in the UK is that people across their spectrum politically thought Brexit was a good idea or wanted some form of it.

I don't think Ohio is all that important. I think it comes down to PA. If Biden wins PA, he can lose Ohio, WI, NC, and Florida and still reach 270. I don't think MN or MI will go for Trump.

I feel like there may still be some good will built up in PA for Biden, at least the eastern half of the state. I lived in NJ until 95, and Biden was always seen in a pretty positive light in the Philly media (so far as I remember). I know Philly is going to vote blue anyway, but if he can pull more of the vote from those north and west suburbs, that will be a big help in carrying the state. But those people should have known better than to vote for Trump for similar reasons.

Honest question.

From what I have seen in the media most astute businesses have factored in the likelihood that these regulations will return and are planning accordingly

Back