• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

Yeeeeaaah! Biden campaign vetting some republicans for cabinet positions !!!

not that surprising for a centrist candidate - it's something 3 out of the last 4 presidents have done

Among the names being floated for possible Biden Cabinet posts are Meg Whitman, the CEO of Quibi and former CEO of eBay, and former Ohio Gov. John Kasich, both of whom spoke at August’s Democratic National Convention. Massachusetts GOP Gov. Charlie Baker and former Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) have also been mentioned, as has former Rep. Charlie Dent (R-Penn.), who resigned from Congress in 2018 and became a lobbyist.

Had the same thing happen to me yesterday. Definitely used voter registration to target houses since the first question was whether I, my wife and my just-turned-18 son lived there. That was a little odd, since it was the first thing out of her mouth. After I asked her who she was with, and her answer, she asked three questions: if I would be voting for Biden, Cooper and Cunningham. Yes to all three and she was on her way. Not sure if it was a reason for visiting our house in particular, but during Trump's term both my wife and I have gone from registered Republican to registered Independent.

We're still in the time period when campaigns are trying to find their supporters and win over undecided voters. They have the name, address, party affiliation, and voting history (if you voted, not who you voted for). So you're right, they likely saw you as potentially a winnable vote since you're registered as an Independent. (And the downside of being an Independent, you'll likely hear from both parties.)

which regulations affecting your life would you like or have been lifted?

Given I'm not a voter that was the subject of the conversation at hand that isn't relevant. I was told he did not cut regulations. He has, on dozens of fronts. And it is also a fact, whether we like it or not, that unemployment rates for minorities were at historic lows pre-covid. And, yes, that impacts how voters view him and is but one reason he stands to do better with these voters in 2016 than 2020. If you want to cull through the list of regulations he oversaw and the tax cuts passed on his watch and prove out how that would not have improved his standing with these voters, have at it. If you want to keep on playing Mr. Soundbite, that's fine too.

I've never met a "cut regs" guy who could cite specific regs and make a convincing argument that they should be cut.

I mean the one time that cutting regulations and red tape would have actually benefited society, ability to test for a pandemic disease, our orange supreme leader decided to shit his pants and outsource it to his dumbass son in-law and his finance bro friends.

Anecdotally, for the last 5 years I have worked in the food processing business, and Ive walked the floors of meat processing plants that are very very highly regulated. I've dealt directly with those regs as they pertain to IT and I can't think of one that im not glad is in place. We had site sin Europe and dealt with GDPR as well. Previously in NC I was in IT at a PPO and dealt with HIPAA and other regs and can't think of one that should not be in place.

quit whining

Given I'm not a voter that was the subject of the conversation at hand that isn't relevant. I was told he did not cut regulations. He has, on dozens of fronts. And it is also a fact, whether we like it or not, that unemployment rates for minorities were at historic lows pre-covid. And, yes, that impacts how voters view him and is but one reason he stands to do better with these voters in 2016 than 2020. If you want to cull through the list of regulations he oversaw and the tax cuts passed on his watch and prove out how that would not have improved his standing with these voters, have at it. If you want to keep on playing Mr. Soundbite, that's fine too.

Can’t think if one, huh. Weird.

The ultimate sound bite “we need to cut regulations that kill jobs !”

Phoney baloney

I didn't say that he didn't cut regulations. He has cut many regulations that put employees, the public, and our planet at risk.

Those regulations and tax cuts did nothing but transfer wealth upward.

Anecdotally, for the last 5 years I have worked in the food processing business, and Ive walked the floors of meat processing plants that are very very highly regulated. I've dealt directly with those regs as they pertain to IT and I can't think of one that im not glad is in place. We had site sin Europe and dealt with GDPR as well. Previously in NC I was in IT at a PPO and dealt with HIPAA and other regs and can't think of one that should not be in place.

quit whining

What state do you live in? In VA, we have a fair amount of poultry processing in the Shenandoah Valley and Eastern Shore, and we had a lot of covid outbreaks at those plants back in April-May. Our fortunately not kidnapped governor sent the health department folks around to police them closer for their covid protocols. What has your state done in the last several months to make those processing facilities safer in terms of covid protections?

What state do you live in? In VA, we have a fair amount of poultry processing in the Shenandoah Valley and Eastern Shore, and we had a lot of covid outbreaks at those plants back in April-May. Our fortunately not kidnapped governor sent the health department folks around to police them closer for their covid protocols. What has your state done in the last several months to make those processing facilities safer in terms of covid protections?

I live in IL and im not in meat processing any more, but still in food processing. We have plants in MI, MA, WA, and NC. Out of about 1500 shift workers we have only had about 50 cases of COVID, mainly the NC and MA plants, no deaths. We have temp check units and contact tracing in place. Since we are processing a finished food for consumption we already were closely regulated by the FDA and strict sanitation guidelines that undoubtedly helped in the pandemic, and none of the COVID cases were traced to the plants.

I had a woman come to my door yesterday saying she was with the RNC trying to get out the vote and asked if my wife and I were planning on voting, how we were planning to do so, and who I was voting for.

I know the information is in the public domain but it’s a bit disconcerting for a total stranger to come to my door and know my name and my wife’s name.

Most GOTV and campaign firms have a litany of information for people. For the most part voter records are public (if not always easily accessible) and this information is compiled and sold across the board. I'm not sure what the company/software is on the right but progressive organizations frequently use VAN that I'm aware of. Long story short, GOTV organizations have a LOT of information about voters including: name, address, political affiliation, how frequently they've voted in the past, etc.

I'm volunteering as a democratic poll Observer this year. Did training last night

Pubs have cut back on plenty of regulations that protect the environment, mostly through executive actions, like opening up lots of public land for oil drilling and mining, charging the way species designated as “threatened” under the endangered species act are protected and the most egregious is the decision to decline to enforce the migratory bird act. These things are bad for birds and rare wildlife, but they do free up companies to, for example, initiate construction on a long delayed wind power farm next to a wetland because there is no longer incidental take protections for the threatened bird species that lives in the wetland.

Back