• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

Just anecdotal but interesting (to me anyway)...

We drove from W-S out 421 to the Blue Ridge Parkway today, getting on at Deep Gap going north to nc 21 then back via 21 to 77 to 421. [it was a gorgeous day!] We explored several areas off the parkway... all very rural.

In our neighborhood I’ve only seen one Trump yard sign. Lots for Biden have popping up over the last few weeks.

Along every rural road we explored...nothing but Trump signs. Not one Biden sign.

*sigh*

Come on rural people.

No surprise. I grew up in that area and it's been overwhelmingly Republican for as long as I can remember. The last Democratic presidential candidate who might have had a decent number of yard signs up there was probably Jimmy Carter in 1976. I remember hearing people talk about how they liked him because he was a born-again Southerner and they saw him at the time as being more conservative than a typical Democrat. Of course by 1980 they had soured on him and voted for Reagan. Most of those rural counties up there gave Trump over 70% of their vote in 2016, and I'm sure it will be just as one-sided this year.

I should add that Alleghany County (Sparta) used to have lots of Democrats, but starting in the Reagan years it turned increasingly Republican, and now it's about as heavily Republican as most of NC's rural counties.

So can someone provide good context about registration numbers? Wife was showing me a Facebook post from a conservative acquaintance gloating about how Republican registrations are far outpacing Dems in swing states.

I know turnout’s been quite high across the board, but didn’t know how all this balances out.

So can someone provide good context about registration numbers? Wife was showing me a Facebook post from a conservative acquaintance gloating about how Republican registrations are far outpacing Dems in swing states.

I know turnout’s been quite high across the board, but didn’t know how all this balances out.

I did some cursory twitter searching and similarly found right wingers gloating.

I did some cursory twitter searching and similarly found right wingers gloating.

The links I've seen have been about recent registrations. Democrats had a primary. Republicans didn't. Democrats have been registering for the last year in advance of the primaries. Republicans have been registering in advance of the general election.

I also think some of those registrations are long time Republican voters who have been sitting on Dem or unaffiliated registrations for awhile.

Last edited:
I'm going to go ahead and assume Obama's head was right under the "Lincoln" in Lincoln Financial Stadium on purpose. Good staging.

I mean white uneducated men are still going trump like 70-30, so yeah rural shit holes.

I really want to take offense at this, but it burns because it's true.

Y'all bitches still driving up here for the scenery, though.

I really want to take offense at this, but it burns because it's true.

Y'all bitches still driving up here for the scenery, though.

It's a terribly offensive thing to say and that's from a City boy.

But the chances of anyone jumping on LG ass on this Thread is slim to none.

I'm going to bothsides this thing and say that there are shitholes in the city as well as in rural areas.

PS: I don't need anyone to explain the structural issues for creating these shitholes or argue that they're not really shitholes.

unless you're in fake-rural virginia or new england (excluding northern maine) every rural town is pretty shitty

Back