• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Senate Races

Seems like Dems saw what happened in VA between 2004-2012 and are trying to replicate that elsewhere. The 2028 EC map could look starkly different, with NC, GA, and even SC regularly going blue, while OH, MI, and maybe WI lean red.

Depends on what direction the 2 parties go in. Which will be the party supportive of free trade, immigration reform, balancing the budget, relative isolationism and other issues? I still think there will be some realignment over the next decade.

Seems like Dems saw what happened in VA between 2004-2012 and are trying to replicate that elsewhere. The 2028 EC map could look starkly different, with NC, GA, and even SC regularly going blue, while OH, MI, and maybe WI lean red.

You are forgetting the big one. By 2028, TX will be at the very least purple if not blue. In twelve years a lot of the old white guys in MI and OH will be dead.

The GOP needs to change and change quickly. Their base is dying off and their opposition is growing consistently.

2016 is the Edwards seat. Tillis' seat is Helms seat that flips around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The old Helms seat has flipped recently, but over a longer period of time it is the other NC seat that has been known for flipping. Until Burr won re-election in 2010, that seat had flipped in every election going back to 1980. Here are the winners of that seat in elections since 1974:

1974 - Morgan (D)
1980 - East (R)
1986 - Sanford (D)
1992 - Faircloth (R)
1998 - Edwards (D)
2004 - Burr (R)

Portman's fine, but Ayotte, Heck, McCain, and Toomey need to strongly denounce Trump. Maybe Rubio and Blount too. Too late for Burr.

Ayotte already has, and I'm sure she's really regretting her comments about Trump last week. But why do you say too late for Burr?

As a practical matter, yesterday just made 53 a real possibility. But Rubio will be fine because he hated Trump in the primary and has really never been closely linked to Trump. I'm sure he'll savor his denouncement of Trump.

Of the ones I listed, I thought Burr was the one who was most supportive of Trump. Seems like Trump, McCrory, and Burr are a package deal and will all sink together.

Don't like her politics, but think Conway's played a terrible hand OK. Appears to be a social conservative true believer, but that gravy train will derail by 2020 at the latest. Any 'Pub with serious 2020 general election POTUS potential should cherry pick Portman's, Weld's, and Kasich's best advisors. They all read Trump correctly and took minimal damage.

The Republican Senate Committee has just retained Usain Bolt to teach it's candidates how to most effectively run away from Donald Trump.

At least 20 GOP Governors, Senators, and Congressmen have called for Trump to drop out and roughly a third are Mormon. Even some of the ones who aren't Mormon (Heck, Gardner, Crapo) are from states with huge LDS populations (NV, CO, WY, AZ). With decent turnout in NV, Heck's toast. McCain will still win, but AZ looking much better for HRC.

From Sabato's Crystal Ball:

Our one other change comes in the Senate, where Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO) is fighting for his political life. Both Democrats and Republicans now view this race as a Toss-up, and we’re moving it from Leans Republican to reflect that consensus.
Missouri was once a major presidential bellwether state, voting for the winning candidate all but one time from 1904 to 2004. But over the last decade, the state has drifted away from the national average and become more Republican at the presidential level, to the point where in 2012 it had its biggest Republican lean relative to the nation since the Civil War.

However, the state is still capable of electing Democrats down the ballot. Even while Mitt Romney won the Show Me State by nine points in 2012, Gov. Jay Nixon (D) and Sen. Claire McCaskill (D) both won reelection by double digits. There are still lots of places in Missouri that are comfortable voting for Democrats down the ballot, including large swathes of the state outside of greater St. Louis and Kansas City (the areas to which Clinton’s presidential strength will largely be confined).

This year, polls suggest Trump holds a comfortable lead, but state Attorney General Chris Koster (D) has at least a coin flip’s chance of winning the governorship, and Secretary of State Jason Kander (D) now appears to have roughly even odds of beating Blunt. The New York Times reported last week that Kander is running slightly ahead of Blunt in internal polling, something we have also heard.

Kander, a veteran, ran perhaps the best ad of the entire cycle, and Blunt is struggling with being an insider candidate in an outsider kind of year. Blunt’s son, a lobbyist, is running his campaign, a connection that is causing his campaign headaches. Like Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC), who we also recently downgraded to Toss-up, Blunt has frustrated national Republicans, who believe both incumbents have not run strong enough campaigns in a difficult environment.

Blunt's second wife is a much younger tobacco lobbyist. Great recipe for a pussy grabbing outsider change election.

Cheaper and higher probability that Dems take Blunt's MO Senate seat than HRC's wins GA. All the other presidential swing states/winnable Senate races (FL, PA, NC, NH, WI, NV, AZ) align. HRC probably wins OH and IA, but Portman and Grassley hold their seats.

It's only been a few days, but the limited polling we've seen in the Senate races don't appear to be breaking in the Dems favor so far. NC, NH, PA, MO, NV & IN all are within the margin of error either way. And FL & AZ are close enough to continue spending $$ there.

In PA, Toomey has only led in 2 of lat 10 polls. I'm not sure if Bayh has actually trailed.

Right now I'd say IL, WI, IN, & PA are pretty close to a sure thing with the first 2 a slam dunk. Heck is now in trouble in NV for aligning himself so close to Trump. Burr is on ropes in NC & NH will still go to wire.

MO has not had 2 Dem Senators since the 60's but Blunt in looking like to ultimate insider in an outsider election. Kander has run an incredible campaign to this point.

Without Trump implosion, Dems pick up maybe 3 seats at the most. Now 7 is looking possible, but probably won't get that high.

Agree on IL & WI, though Johnson has been within a few points recently. But there was an NPR piece this morning on Bayh. He has lived in DC making a ton of $$ the last 5-6 years, and that's not going over well in IN. The last poll I saw had him up 1. McGinty has been mostly ahead, but not by a lot. Heck has probably been mostly ahead in polls the last month or so, but I agree that I'd have to make him a slight underdog at this point. And yes, Kandar has run a great campaign, but he's been mostly closely behind in the polls.

I guess my point is that the senate polls aren't breaking for Dems the last 5 days like the presidential polls have. Looks like we'll have 6-7 nail biters on election night. At least something will be interesting that night.

In NV, it could be up to two factors. If the union gets their vote out and if Heck's rejection of Trump pisses off enough of the crazy cowboy Trump supporters. This is the only Dem seat they could lose.

Right now I see Dems at worst net +4 a and possibly +6 (with NV and NH). Burr could lose, but it would be a landslide of Burr and Blount lost.

538 has it 57.1% for Dems.

For the first time in a long time, 538 has it over 60% for Dems to take control of Senate. It's 62.6%.

It's only been a few days, but the limited polling we've seen in the Senate races don't appear to be breaking in the Dems favor so far. NC, NH, PA, MO, NV & IN all are within the margin of error either way. And FL & AZ are close enough to continue spending $$ there.

Have to think it's a matter of turnout at this point (Thanks Captain Obvious!). If there is a wave of traditional GOP voters that simply sit this one out, these toss-up races are all going to swing to the Dems.

Back