• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - UNC v. Kansas for the Natty

seriously, it would only happen to Wake that our best season in years and years meant the conference sucked (same thing we hear in football).

Sure but the flip side is the correlation.

I’m definitely miffed but I’m also tired of complaining about it. We had our chances and it is true we had an embarrassing strength of schedule.

More than ever before it is just simply vital to get into the Dance. There’s so much parity that absolutely anything can happen and all you need is a ticket.

the SOS argument seems revisionist. I don't recall (but could be wrong) people clamoring for a much tougher schedule when it was announced. few people expected us to be in the position we were in, maybe an outside shot at the bubble. we needed wins to boost confidence, which is how we scheduled.

I would chalk much of that up to us not having had to worry about SOS for a long long looooong time now. We didn't know what we didn't know.

the SOS argument seems revisionist. I don't recall (but could be wrong) people clamoring for a much tougher schedule when it was announced. few people expected us to be in the position we were in, maybe an outside shot at the bubble. we needed wins to boost confidence, which is how we scheduled.

We beat Oregon State (KP #233) and Northwestern (#88) in OT and Charlotte (#205) on a buzzer-beater. VMI (#160) was also a tight game. Personally, I think if we'd played a tougher schedule, with even moderately-better teams subbed in for those, we would have lost two or more of those games and wouldn't have been in the bubble conversation to begin with. With the exception of the VPI game, we didn't really play well until January.

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - Tournament Time: NCAA, NIT, CBI amd TBC

I’d be interested how our OOC looked based on last year’s rankings. Feels like it looked moderately bad at the beginning of the season but turned out to be awful.

And then we had bad luck with conference games too. Only 4 Quad 1 games vs double digits in past years.

Last edited:
I may be wrong, as I haven't done any research, but I feel like Huggins absolutely loves the kids he coaches, and a select group of other coaches. Past that, he doesn't give a shit about anyone. Just the impression I've gotten over the years, so Huggins is a bit better to me than Calipari, who has been slime everywhere he has gone.

I realize the point isn’t to graduate anymore, but his graduation rate was abysmal. He was a friend to Skip though, which elevated him in my eyes.

We beat Oregon State (KP #233) and Northwestern (#88) in OT and Charlotte (#205) on a buzzer-beater. VMI (#160) was also a tight game. Personally, I think if we'd played a tougher schedule, with even moderately-better teams subbed in for those, we would have lost two or more of those games and wouldn't have been in the bubble conversation to begin with. With the exception of the VPI game, we didn't really play well until January.

yeah I remember thinking it was decent at the outset, especially with our Emerald Coast potential opponents.

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - Tournament Time: NCAA, NIT, CBI amd TBC

I’m just saying whether or not it’s revisionist, it’s factual now. If we had a chance to be a bubble team, we should have scheduled a bit better, but also we know we were trying to emerge from the abyss and understandably kept it lighter.

It being worse than we expected certainly wasn’t our fault. But my point is that in actual fact it was terrible, and the committee absolutely does not reward terrible strength of schedule. So from that angle I understand why there was at least debate about us, and why we weren’t a shoo-in.

I think it’s fair to say, with smart people at the helm, we will never be in this strength of schedule dilemma again. We may lose, but we will play harder teams from here on out and hopefully till the end of time.

I’m just saying whether or not it’s revisionist, it’s factual now. If we had a chance to be a bubble team, we should have scheduled a bit better, but also we know we were trying to emerge from the abyss and understandably kept it lighter.

It being worse than we expected certainly wasn’t our fault. But my point is that in actual fact it was terrible, and the committee absolutely does not reward terrible strength of schedule. So from that angle I understand why there was at least debate about us, and why we weren’t a shoo-in.

I think it’s fair to say, with smart people at the helm, we will never be in this strength of schedule dilemma again. We may lose, but we will play harder teams from here on out and hopefully till the end of time.

agree 100%

the schedule was understandable given where we were, and then we got unlucky

we should never ever ever schedule that way again, even if (Heavens No!) we go back to that place

Wake got left out for the following reasons:

Weak OOC schedule
Losses to BC and Clemson (and Miami at home)
Irrational love affair with MWC and B1G

Did Calipari awaken this morning to find out that Mayflower was parked on his front lawn?

I won't be pulling for Duke tonight, but I'd like to see the other ACC schools in the tournament win today. I am tired of hearing all year how awful the ACC is/was.

I completely agree.

I don't like that OOC SOS is a separate metric when it is already factored into computer rankings AND there is nothing a team can do regarding how their opponents perform in their other games. For example, Kenpom is the most accurate metric (IMO), and it has us at #33, which already factors in our SOS.

Did Calipari awaken this morning to find out that Mayflower was parked on his front lawn?

lol. pretty sure RattlerDeac and Milhouse (and maybe a couple of other people) put about 100 for sale signs in Dave Odom's yard one night around 1993. I don't recall the occasion

I won't be pulling for Duke tonight, but I'd like to see the other ACC schools in the tournament win today. I am tired of hearing all year how awful the ACC is/was.

I had every ACC team losing in the 1st round but Duke, and I had them losing in the 2nd. That said, I think Miami and VT have punchers chances to win 1. Both games should be 2 of the better games today.

My frustration is the inconsistency of what matters to the selection committee. In 1998, we were 15-12, with 7 of those losses coming against ranked teams. In 1999, we were 16-13 with 7 of those losses coming against ranked teams. Both of those years we ended up in the NIT. But this year, Big 10 teams with similar records ended up in the NCAA.

lol. pretty sure RattlerDeac and Milhouse (and maybe a couple of other people) put about 100 for sale signs in Dave Odom's yard one night around 1993. I don't recall the occasion
That was the year that Kentucky smoked us in the Southeastern Regionals in Charlotte.

I was there. The first time Odom called a timeout I think the score was 28-6.

Kentucky and Western Kentucky made the finals. I sold my tickets.

When I left Charlotte it was snowing. Hence, I decided not to go to Kentucky and burglarize every house in the state, since no one was home.

That was the year that Kentucky smoked us in the Southeastern Regionals in Charlotte.

I was there. The first time Odom called a timeout I think the score was 28-6.

Kentucky and Western Kentucky made the finals. I sold my tickets.

When I left Charlotte it was snowing. Hence, I decided not to go to Kentucky and burglarize every house in the state, since no one was home.

It was 34-6 at one point. Nightmare.

Back