• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - UNC v. Kansas for the Natty

UNC went to the finals 3 out of the last 6 years (2 with Roy) and won one of them (also with Roy). I dunno but that seems pretty good.

Right. I am specifically mentioning last year, and the wealth of bigs talent he had just to squander it away. That was a shitty coaching job.

Losing Manek will hurt, but he can be replaced by more than 1 player. If Love doesn't return, you're right, I don't see UNC returning to the Final 4.

That said, UNC lost 2 starters from their 2016 team and still came back and won it all in 2017.

Manek was insane - making 3's at key moments in March with dudes draped all over him. I don't think that you can replace him with multiple players, that space the floor so that Bacot can get every rebound over one other guy in the lane. You have to find a stretch 4, who has a knack for making ridiculous shots in crunch time.

I love the NBA. I just can't for the life of me get into college basketball anymore. I am a season ticket holder for Wake bball but I dont think I watched a college bball game this regular season other than a Wake game. And I hate to say this especially here, but I also have Hornets season tix and I absolutely enjoyed the Hornets games more. It's just a much better product.

Agree with everything you said here. Other than about 3 weeks in March-early April, I hardly pay attention to college bb anymore.

Exactly. Manek is a good college player who doesn’t have much of an NBA future who will be hard to replace.

man - unc makes the final game and their best player comes back with no drama

wake wins a couple NIT games and the whole team declares for the nba draft

I’m not the talent evaluator many of you are, but I’m surprised that Bacot couldn’t have even just a decent journeyman career in the NBA. Then again I guess the draft boards don’t lie.

The draft boards definitely lie. For instance who do you like best:

Jalen Duren
Johnny Davis
Daniel's
Haskins

Do we even know who they are? Are those names even correct?

The numbers don't lie and this dude is a rebounding machine. I can't believe a bad rebounding team like Detroit, Sacramento or Charlotte cannot use him.

He'll Atlanta is just missing threes and batting them back out for second shot threes over and over.

Yes to this too.

The only other thing I can think of in addition to NIL is the women. UNC is at least 60 percent female and it's not like some of those remaining 40 percent guys are competition.

Bacot is an ugly dude bit I bet he is doing just fine at UNC

Yes to this too.

The only other thing I can think of in addition to NIL is the women. UNC is at least 60 percent female and it's not like some of those remaining 40 percent guys are competition.

Bacot is an ugly dude bit I bet he is doing just fine at UNC

LOL. 6-11 star basketball players do fine with the ladies no matter how ugly they are. Sheldon Williams managed to marry Candace Parker and she’s married to a woman now.

That and coaching are the main difference between Wake and UNC regardless of their recruiting edge. Imagine if we had a good coach and had guys like Crawford, Moore, Sarr, Brown, and Hoard for another year.

Last edited:
How do shoe contracts factor into NIL deals? Because that pressure was usually what motivated early departures. Word is that CP stays another year without Nike in his ear. Could the shoe companies pay college players directly?

LOL. 6-11 star basketball players do fine with the ladies no matter how ugly they are. Sheldon Williams managed to marry Candace Parker and she’s married to a woman now.

I don't think your evidence supports your conclusion counselor.

The draft boards definitely lie. For instance who do you like best:

Jalen Duren
Johnny Davis
Daniel's
Haskins

Do we even know who they are? Are those names even correct?

The numbers don't lie and this dude is a rebounding machine. I can't believe a bad rebounding team like Detroit, Sacramento or Charlotte cannot use him.

He'll Atlanta is just missing threes and batting them back out for second shot threes over and over.

A few reasons:
  • Bacot doesn't have any truly elite skills outside of rebounding
  • He doesn't have the ability to extend out past 15-18 feet (if even that) which is critical in the modern NBA
  • He's not extremely athletic and most of his rebounding comes from being bigger and stronger than college guys which will not be the case in the NBA
  • Defensively he can really only guard centers and most NBA offenses will pick on him relentlessly in PnR switches

Bottom line, he's an average athlete whose best skills are not highly valued in the modern NBA. I would be shocked if he actually measured out at his listed height of 6'10. He reminds me a lot of Caleb Swanigan or Luka Garza, awesome college players who can take advantage of a style of play that hasn't totally eradicated their best attributes and rewards you the longer you stay in college due to physical and mental maturation. Best case for Bacot IMO is he comes back for a year, shows some semblance of a perimeter game, latches on to an NBA roster and spends 5-7 years as a deep bench guy who can give you a few hard minutes and 6 fouls.

"He'll Atlanta is just missing threes and batting them back out for second shot threes over and over."

That's really good offensive rebounding. Would you rather have a guy grab the ball, turtle it, and get it back to the PG in traffic to restart the offense? That's not good because the shot clock only resets to 14 so there's no time to reset the offense. That's how you get iso hero ball with the shot clock winding down.

Tap out for an open three is the best offensive rebounding in the NBA aside from a put back dunk.

You can really tell who watches the NBA and who doesn't based on these takes. There are only a few NBA centers who can't extend past 15-18 feet and they're almost all rim protectors.

Last edited:
I'm told on good authority that Kentucky is offering Drew Temme $1MM in NIL money to play there next year.

I'm told on good authority that Kentucky is offering Drew Temme $1MM in NIL money to play there next year.

Not that KY follows any rules (and not that the NCAA enforces the rules that are in place), but Drew Timme is not in the transfer portal; so, Kentucky (or anyone acting on KY's behalf) is not allowed to contact him and offer any inducements at this point to recruit Timme to KY. Timme did declare for the NBA draft, but retained his right to go back to college, if he is unhappy with the NBA's assessment of him, Timme does still have time to enter the transfer portal, but has not yet taken that step. FWIW, given Timme's prominence as a player, that Gonzaga is a basketball first school with a rabid fanbase, and that Gonzaga hoop is one of the few things going for Spokane, Washington, would think that Gonzaga could match a $1 million NIL offer for Timme, or at least come close.

Last edited:
I mean, I’m extremely biased here but I feel like all these discussions are moot after the football recruiting class that Texas A&M just bought. Hell, Tennessee just bought a 5 star QB for 8 million. It’s the Wild West out there now, no one even has to pretend to cover it up anymore.

Last edited:
I mean, I’m extremely biased here but I feel like all these discussions are moot after the football recruiting class that Texas A&M just bought. Hell, Tennessee just bought a 5 star QB for 8 million. It’s the Wild West out there now, no one even has to pretend to cover it up anymore.

Framing the situation as kids being "bought" is a pretty loaded way to view things

Not that KY follows any rules (and not that the NCAA enforces the rules that are in place), but Drew Timme is not in the transfer portal; so, Kentucky (or anyone acting on KY's behalf) is not allowed to contact him and offer any inducements at this point to recruit Timme to KY. Timme did declare for the NBA draft, but retained his right to go back to college, if he is unhappy with the NBA's assessment of him, Timme does still have time to enter the transfer portal, but has not yet taken that step. FWIW, given Timme's prominence as a player, that Gonzaga is a basketball first school with a rabid fanbase, and that Gonzaga hoop is one of the few things going for Spokane, Washington, would think that Gonzaga could match a $1 million NIL offer for Timme, or at least come close.

Well it’s not Kentucky offering the mil in NIL obviously anyway, it’s an alumnus or more than one. And he has one more year to play college ball if he elects to do so. It might also be a good move for Temme’s draft stock for next year.

I can't help but wonder if these alumni are rich enough to offer this much money every year. Especially if only one out of every five 5* quarterbacks you pay comes good.

Likewise, that's money that the athletic department itself isn't getting. I keep saying this and nobody seems to think it's a big deal, but even rich people have budgets and income to manage and there's only so much every year

Framing the situation as kids being "bought" is a pretty loaded way to view things

I could alternatively say they hired the best recruiting class in history or they acquired the best recruiting class in history via money.

Back