• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - UNC v. Kansas for the Natty

I can't help but wonder if these alumni are rich enough to offer this much money every year. Especially if only one out of every five 5* quarterbacks you pay comes good.

Likewise, that's money that the athletic department itself isn't getting. I keep saying this and nobody seems to think it's a big deal, but even rich people have budgets and income to manage and there's only so much every year

Not in this era of rising inequality. There’s plenty of “extra” cash out there to devote to college athletics. Big donors were already throwing money to hire and then fire coaches. This is just another way for moneyed interest to compete. Don’t expect it to slow down. At least talent/labor is getting paid.

Kind of agree with Ph. There is a segment of the population that literally has money to burn. Particularly people in the financial sector.

What better way to feel like a big shot, than to throw your cash at college athletes and then claim that you contributed to wins on the field, court, diamond?

Kind of agree with Ph. There is a segment of the population that literally has money to burn. Particularly people in the financial sector.

What better way to feel like a big shot, than to throw your cash at college athletes and then claim that you contributed to wins on the field, court, diamond?

I mean look at donaldross. That dude is a colossal sack of shit (sorry, Ph), relentlessly ragging on our programs and players, and can still buy himself a seat at the table and lord it over all of us poors.

At least talent/labor is getting paid.

Are they? From my perspective the complete lack of regulation here is poisoning the sport with another layer of inequality. The Alabamas and Ohio States can only build so many new sports facilities, the unregulated NIL system has no such limits. They can now pay players to such an extent that whatever shred of parity existed in college football will disappear quickly.

These dumb fuck boosters would apparently prefer their glorified minor league football teams ( Kentucky Basketball included) to play a schedule of home games against Sisters of The Poor (every season Calipari schedules a raft of cupcake home games and 5 major neutral site opponents) and save the remaining handful of Mega-Star teams for the playoff. There is a good reason why there are only 30 something teams in every American professional team sport, and without major changes College Football and Basketball are headed towards that same talent aggregation.

Last edited:
I've been saying this for years. The rich get richer. A handful of athletes are getting paid, one or two years earlier than expected, on their way to professional careers.

Everybody else gets poorer, including the majority of athletes doing similar or identical labor

I’m absolutely for players getting paid - all of them - on every team. I am totally against the current scenario where a handful get paid on most teams, zero get paid on some teams, and everyone gets paid on a select few teams. Either that or we have to have a salary cap and a luxury tax!

I've been saying this for years. The rich get richer. A handful of athletes are getting paid, one or two years earlier than expected, on their way to professional careers.

Everybody else gets poorer, including the majority of athletes doing similar or identical labor

It’s a difficult concept to explain to sports fans that enjoyment of *competitive* sports is supposed to be based on *competition* and the risk of losing, not just getting drunk and jerking off over your team winning glorified scrimmages by 100 points.

It’s a difficult concept to explain to sports fans that enjoyment of *competitive* sports is supposed to be based on *competition* and the risk of losing, not just getting drunk and jerking off over your team winning glorified scrimmages by 100 points.

That would be nice. “Competition” nowadays seems to just be a justification to crush everyone else to reduce competition.

The real question here is where is the NCAA? No rules. No compliance. No threat of sanctions. We should have known after 20 years of cheating at UNC. Nothing happened. There is no governance. So we end in chaos. Unknown where it leads. Hard to forsee a good place if you are a Wake fan. The good news is we have people of honor in the postions that count today. Smart people. Ride or die.

What people generally mean when they say "wake will be doomed" is that wake football will struggle in a world where big schools can pay many of their players. And despite the stark differences already between your Clemsons and Ohio States and LOWF, it simply hasn't happened yet despite many such pronouncements.

Wake will keep winning in the Olympic sports. We've invested with such a future in mind.

There’s also the fear a football super league will leave Wake out. Our sports are doing well at the right time.

As Mack stated, WF has the right people in the right spots to compete. Clawson just continues to kill it with the way he manages his staff, and his ability to evaluate recruits more accurately than almost anyone else. That said, feel like the line between the uber-elite college football teams and everyone else is as big as it ever has been. Despite the calls that the "ACC is doomed", I'm not worried about WF being able to keep up with Mississippi State, Missouri and Kentucky in football. However, it just seems like Bama, tOSU, Clemson, UGA, and now maybe Texas A&M (through a ridiculous flow of NIL money) are taking their pick of the top 200, and then the scraps are left for everyone else. Clawson thrives in finding the best of the rest, but all but 5 or 6 college football teams are swimming in a different pool.

Basketball is different because of the one and done rule. Football players have to stay for three years; so, the elite recruits can reach an epic level by their 2nd and third year. Duke and Kentucky buy the best freshman classes in basketball each year, but those guys are long gone before they peak. That allows other programs that develop players to win Nattys and reach the Final 4. Anthony Edwards is closing in on the super-elite level IN THE NBA. When he's on, he is an unstoppable force against the best defensive players in the world. If college basketball had the same eligibility rules as football, Edwards would have played college basketball this year (he would be a junior) , instead of scoring 36 in the first round of the NBA playoffs. As a result, college basketball, so far, hasn't felt the same of effects of the top programs landing (or paying for) skewed percentages of the top players.

Last edited:
Not in this era of rising inequality. There’s plenty of “extra” cash out there to devote to college athletics. Big donors were already throwing money to hire and then fire coaches. This is just another way for moneyed interest to compete. Don’t expect it to slow down. At least talent/labor is getting paid.

I know what you are saying but I kind of disagree. Rich people who today donate to athletic departments will now and in the future allocate a lot of that money to NIL - they will feel more closely tied to the athletes and feel like they are making more of a direct impact. Donations to the general athletic fund - money that goes to support all the non-revenue sports - may well suffer, and it could be significant.

And a very small subset of talent/labor will be getting paid. Those who clamored for athletes to be paid because they were being exploited will see NIL as a win. But, the fact is that it will result in a very small percentage of athletes getting a bunch of money and the others getting nothing. Plus, there is a good chance that non-revenue sports will actually suffer due to decreased donations and focus. More sports will be discontinued and more athletes will suffer.

Is there any evidence that those programs are getting any different recruits than they were getting before? I don’t think NIL is going to change the balance of power. Those top recruits will just get paid over the table.

Is there any evidence that those programs are getting any different recruits than they were getting before? I don’t think NIL is going to change the balance of power. Those top recruits will just get paid over the table.

The example is Texas A&M. They have recruited at a high level under Fisher, but this year, they almost swept the recruits that traditionally would have gone to Bama, LSU and Clemson. Some claim the Texas A&M football class of 2022 is the best ever. A&M has done well in recruiting, but not that well. Everyone has pointed to the money that A&M boosters funneled through NIL as the reason. We shall see how much of a difference it makes on the field. Otherwise, yes, the same programs that dominated football recruiting, seem to be dominating football recruiting.

So OSU, Alabama, Georgia, etc bring a bigger bag to the table next year and things go back to the way they were.

The example is Texas A&M. They have recruited at a high level under Fisher, but this year, they almost swept the recruits that traditionally would have gone to Bama, LSU and Clemson. Some claim the Texas A&M football class of 2022 is the best ever. A&M has done well in recruiting, but not that well. Everyone has pointed to the money that A&M boosters funneled through NIL as the reason. We shall see how much of a difference it makes on the field. Otherwise, yes, the same programs that dominated football recruiting, seem to be dominating football recruiting.

And when 5 of those guys take bigger buyouts when they don’t start, the winds blow other ways. Or when the returning starter plays better than the recruit, what is Jimbo to do? Buy some credibility?

I’m absolutely for players getting paid - all of them - on every team. I am totally against the current scenario where a handful get paid on most teams, zero get paid on some teams, and everyone gets paid on a select few teams. Either that or we have to have a salary cap and a luxury tax!

This is why, while loving revenue sharing by players that is long overdue, I think for team sports all funds should be pooled and shares granted to ALL team members. Just like for NCAA and Bowl monies, then give the sponsored player more shares. I don’t care if it is 2 or 20 shares but no way in heck, the WR getting money and the Center or RB getting none doesn’t royally screw up all team dynamics. Or the QB that decides to throw more to his Buddy TE vs said NIL loaded Slot receiver. I hate the pain this will cause until it is somehow properly structured.

Does everyone at your job get paid the same?

Back