• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - UNC v. Kansas for the Natty

Once a player enters the portal, other schools may initiate contact. Don't think there is any rule that prevents a player from contacting a school. Given all of the inter-connections between players as the result of AAU and Summer camps, would guess that a lot of the initial contact is very informal between players who have past connections. These days, with social media, every D1 player is one degree of separation away from knowing at least somebody in another program.

John Hollinger’s scouting report from the ACC Tournament and Big East Tournament
https://theathletic.com/3182755/202...ers-week-that-was/?source=user_shared_article

Let’s just say that neither league is quite the fertile ground it used to be. Duke has five draftable players, including a likely top-4 pick in forward Paolo Banchero, but he and teammate A.J. Griffin might have been the only top-20 players I saw all week — an almost unthinkable state of affairs for the ACC in particular. The NBA also voted with its feet on this topic: even though two leagues were playing their tournaments in New York, a huge chunk of the league’s scouts split to Indy to see the Big 10 instead.

That said, several players made a case for themselves in the 20-to-40 range, and it looks like this draft has a deep forward crop, in particular, in that range. Bouncy Florida State freshman Matthew Cleveland, powerful Marquette sophomore Justin Lewis, crafty Wake Forest junior Jake LaRavia and sharpshooting St. John’s junior Julian Champagnie would fall into that grouping. Duke also had three other draftable players in big man Mark Williams, guard Trevor Keels and athletic wing Wendell Moore Jr. (more on him below). Meanwhile, Wake Forest guard Alondes Williams, the ACC Player of the Year, struggled in his team’s upset loss to Boston College but showed some of the athletic play from the point guard spot that got him so much attention this year.

Most of you all watched more Wake games than I did this year, but Jake seemed like the better prospect than Williams in the games I watched and he obviously has the size advantage.

Mit Shah needs to pay LaRavia $150k next year to return and sign autographs.

Most of you all watched more Wake games than I did this year, but Jake seemed like the better prospect than Williams in the games I watched and he obviously has the size advantage.

Agree. He reminds me of Battier in that he is an undersized PF at the next level who does everything well and has a high hoops IQ. I know everyone hates Battier, but he was 1 of my favorite Dukies. I'd go for minutes at a time watching just him at U-Hall because the guy just never did anything wrong, and there was no wasted movement. Even though he wasn't overly athletic, he got everything he could out of his talent and had a nice pro career. I think Jake can do the same thing. He was easily my favorite player on our team and in the whole ACC this year.

If Jake is actually a 20-40 range pick, than there is 0% chance he is back. I just don't know how accurate that is. I didn't see him listed on any of the major online draft boards, if that matters at all.

Interesting how UNC can get 3 years out of Bacot, and we may only get 1 out of Jake. They seem to find that sweet spot of good college players who have some deficiency in going pro early.

If Jake is actually a 20-40 range pick, than there is 0% chance he is back. I just don't know how accurate that is. I didn't see him listed on any of the major online draft boards, if that matters at all.

Interesting how UNC can get 3 years out of Bacot, and we may only get 1 out of Jake. They seem to find that sweet spot of good college players who have some deficiency in going pro early.

LaRavia is playing his third season of college basketball. Wake only getting one year would be one of the consequences of the new instant eligibility transfer rules.

At least Wake will get one year of playing for one year of scholarship investment.

someone who follows the NBA more closely than me may have better intel than this list showing NBA draft salaries for the 2021 draft, but here goes. Obviously the first round is guaranteed and is, if you are smart, life-changing money. From the link, No. 30 pick Santi Aldama, on the other hand, would be in line for a four-year contract worth just over $10MM.

Picks 31-40:

31. Washington Wizards: Isaiah Todd, F, G League Ignite: Signed Four-year, $6.89MM contract. First three years guaranteed.
32. Oklahoma City Thunder: Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, F, Villanova: Signed Four-year, $7.89MM contract. First two years guaranteed.
33. Los Angeles Clippers: Jason Preston, G, Ohio: Signed Three-year, $4.46MM contract. First two years guaranteed.
34. New York Knicks: Rokas Jokubaitis, G, Lithuania: Will play overseas
35. New Orleans Pelicans: Herb Jones, F, Alabama: Signed Three-year, $5.32MM contract. First two years guaranteed.
36. New York Knicks: Miles McBride, G, West Virginia: Signed Three-year, minimum-salary contract. First two years guaranteed.
37. Charlotte Hornets: JT Thor, F, Auburn: Signed Four-year, $6.64MM contract. First two years guaranteed.
38. Chicago Bulls: Ayo Dosunmu, G, Illinois: Signed Two-year, minimum-salary contract. Fully guaranteed.
39. Sacramento Kings: Neemias Queta, C, Utah State: Signed Two-way contract.
40. Utah Jazz: Jared Butler, G, Baylor: Signed Two-year, minimum-salary contract. Fully guaranteed.

NBA minimums: rookie - $925,000
1 year experience - $1,489,000
So 2 year minimum guaranteed is about $2.4 million.

The 10 guys look like they got guaranteed money from the two year minimum to something just under $4 million.

First round money is a whole lot more, as noted above.
If Jake gets solid first round evaluations, he probably, from a financial standpoint, should take the money and run. If he's a second rounder this year, he needs to evaluate the probability that another year at Wake gets him into the first round next year.

I hope he gets better intel than that provided by Lunardi and Bilas

Forbes connections with Nick Nurse should get LaRavia an honest eval from NBA guys who matter. I expect Jake to be in the NBA pre-draft talent evaluation. I doubt we know much about his status for next season until that is complete.

if those projections are correct, i think the smart move would be to go pro unless he really values the college experience, graduating, etc. but the majority (probably the vast majority) of players in that situation would happily turn pro and start making money.

if those projections are correct, i think the smart move would be to go pro unless he really values the college experience, graduating, etc. but the majority (probably the vast majority) of players in that situation would happily turn pro and start making money.

If Jake doesn't get solid first round evaluations this year, he could improve enough with a year as the leader of a good Wake team next year to get there. The difference between being pick 30 and pick 31 is over 2.5x times as much guaranteed money. $10 million+ vs less than $4 million.

If Jake doesn't get solid first round evaluations this year, he could improve enough with a year as the leader of a good Wake team next year to get there. The difference between being pick 30 and pick 31 is over 2.5x times as much guaranteed money. $10 million+ vs less than $4 million.

Maybe. But he will be a year older which will be held against him as teams assess development curve and upside. Will his numbers be that much better to offset the harsher grading curve? Will he be able to showcase it on a big enough stage (I.e. in the NCAA tournament) for a team to fall in love with him and draft him in the first round?

Early in the season, I heard murmurs of NBA and Jake. At the time, didn't take much stock. Feeling like things are now trending in that direction. Not saying it will happen, but Jake will explore the possibility, and there is more NBA interest in him than anyone on a WF roster since John Collins. Of course, Jake could always improve his stock with a great last year, but these days, the NBA sees age is a negative. Seniors getting drafted is becoming an increasing oddity. Have no doubt that Forbes will use his NBA connections to get Jake the best possible advice. FWIW, if Jake does leave and get drafted, there could be no better promotional push for players in the transfer portal than the bump WF would get from Alondes winning ACC POY and Jake going to the NBA a year after transferring to WF.

in addition to the points made above, there is also the consideration that $2 million next year (plus whatever he can earn from his name, image and likeness as an NBA fringe player) is much more than $0 next year plus his NIL. If he is betting on his own improvement, he will get a second NBA contract, and he will have an additional year in the NBA.

Early in the season, I heard murmurs of NBA and Jake. At the time, didn't take much stock. Feeling like things are now trending in that direction. Not saying it will happen, but Jake will explore the possibility, and there is more NBA interest in him than anyone on a WF roster since John Collins. Of course, Jake could always improve his stock with a great last year, but these days, the NBA sees age is a negative. Seniors getting drafted is becoming an increasing oddity. Have no doubt that Forbes will use his NBA connections to get Jake the best possible advice. FWIW, if Jake does leave and get drafted, there could be no better promotional push for players in the transfer portal than the bump WF would get from Alondes winning ACC POY and Jake going to the NBA a year after transferring to WF.

That’s a pretty good reverse Pilch.

Back