• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - UNC v. Kansas for the Natty

Banchero 3rd Team All-American, Man-Man and Bacot both honorable mention

LaRavia is playing his third season of college basketball. Wake only getting one year would be one of the consequences of the new instant eligibility transfer rules.

At least Wake will get one year of playing for one year of scholarship investment.

Yeah, I shouldn't have used Jake as the example given his transferred in. Was trying to say - when have we gotten at least 3 seasons of good-to-great volume production from a player?

Hoard was here for a cup of coffee. Brown and Sarr's best season was elsewhere. Crawford and Thomas were close. McKie and CJ Harris on bad teams?

I would have to go far enough back to Justin Gray and Eric Williams to have 0 doubt.

Yeah, I shouldn't have used Jake as the example given his transferred in. Was trying to say - when have we gotten at least 3 seasons of good-to-great volume production from a player?

Hoard was here for a cup of coffee. Brown and Sarr's best season was elsewhere. Crawford and Thomas were close. McKie and CJ Harris on bad teams?

I would have to go far enough back to Justin Gray and Eric Williams to have 0 doubt.

Olivier Sarr definitely played his best season at Wake, he was awful at UK

The guy calling the Tx-Southern-Tx A&M-Corpus game is the Phillies TV play-by-play guy.

The Wyoming/Indiana game is trash so far. What a joke.

Wasn't exactly sure where to put this, but I saw the "Currie get on the phone for scheduling" post and just thought these would be some good schools to call (to greatly to slightly improve our SOS):

- Furman
- Belmont (not sure we can beat them, seem underrated yearly)
- Iona (tough out)
- Tulane
- La Tech
- Middle Tennessee
- Wofford (do we ever play them?)
- George Mason
- Morehead St.
- Liberty
- Florida Atlantic
- South Alabama
- Hofstra
- Towson, ha, yes Towson
- Kent St.
- Wagner
- Charleston
- Oral Roberts (see: Belmont, can we beat them?)
- Coastal Carolina
- Winthrop (do we ever play them?)

Maybe, not sure how much it helps:
- Jacksonville
- App State (lol)
- Gardner Webb
and of course, UNC-G, UNC-W

Just a quick glance at some teams that might have a spot open, or even a H&H, all appear to be "top 175" type teams, since our SOS this past year was what? 300?

We would absolutely beat Belmont, handily.

Morehead will be good if Johnni Broome comes back, but otherwise they will drop off.

Wasn't exactly sure where to put this, but I saw the "Currie get on the phone for scheduling" post and just thought these would be some good schools to call (to greatly to slightly improve our SOS):

- Furman
- Belmont (not sure we can beat them, seem underrated yearly)
- Iona (tough out)
- Tulane
- La Tech
- Middle Tennessee
- Wofford (do we ever play them?)
- George Mason
- Morehead St.
- Liberty
- Florida Atlantic
- South Alabama
- Hofstra
- Towson, ha, yes Towson
- Kent St.
- Wagner
- Charleston
- Oral Roberts (see: Belmont, can we beat them?)
- Coastal Carolina
- Winthrop (do we ever play them?)

Maybe, not sure how much it helps:
- Jacksonville
- App State (lol)
- Gardner Webb
and of course, UNC-G, UNC-W

Just a quick glance at some teams that might have a spot open, or even a H&H, all appear to be "top 175" type teams, since our SOS this past year was what? 300?

Among teams that have never been in the ACC, the teams we have played most often since 1949-50 are Davidson, Richmond, and William & Mary.

William & Mary has been a train wreck of a program for a long time (forever?). We don't gain anything playing them.

Over the past 10 years, Richmond and Davidson have both been in KP's top 100 8 times. We should schedule them both. Home, away, throw in a neutral site like Charlotte or Greensboro (preferably during years when the ACCT will be played there).

Furman has traditionally been a train wreck, but under Bob Richey, they have been a KP top 100 team for 5 straight years. We should play them, home, away, neutral, until he leaves.

Tennessee (dependable very good to great team as long as Barnes is there) and South Carolina (probable top 100/TBD based on next hire) also make sense as local-ish P5 schools.

This shouldn't be that hard.

There just a few rules to follow to have a competitive OOC hoop schedule each year:

- Limit long-term contracts:

Davidson is solid with the Silver Fox as head coach; right now they are good schedule partner, but when he leaves Davidson could fall into the abyss; similarly Richmond would have been a solid opponent in recent years; next year, they will be awful; so, try to set up games in May when you can assess who is likely to be decent and who is not.

- Schedule a couple OOC home and homes with schools that can reliably be anticipated as good. WF did it with Tennessee and Xavier; you don't need a ton of those series, but one or two year is huge.

- Play in a solid early season tourney every year; there are tons of them; just don't got locked into a low rent one like the Jamaica Classic.

WF played a crappy OOC schedule simply because WF has sucked for a long time, and WF needed to get out of the 13-20 rut that previous coaching staffs left us in. Those days are over. WF can now schedule smarter. It will.

Just looking at Q1 records for teams this season.

6 or > Q1 wins was a lock NCAAT bid
3-5 wins was bubble
<3 was almost universally out for non-AQs. Think Notre Dame was the only one.

We had a single Q1 win, and only five total opportunities. We got a bit unlucky as UNC and Virginia were quite close to being Q1. We had 7 Q1 matchups in Forbes first season, and 10 the season before.

Seems like double-digit Q1 matchups gives us a fair shot at NCAAT. The most I saw this season was Tennessee at 18 Q1 games. I have no sense that the ACC is going to be any stronger next season, so OOC is going to have to do some serious lifting. I wouldn't bet additional neutral site Q2 or home Q2 is good enough for us unless ACC is a top-2 league.

We may have to go on the road to a Davidson/Richmond/Furman to ensure Q1 territory. Xavier should be Q1 on the road. If we are stuck with Jamaica Classic, sounds like we have to schedule a couple games with a legit P5 team or an A10/AAC top-3 team. We also need our B10 matchup to be Q1 - Iowa/Rutgers/Ohio St on the road?

Don't trust Rutgers next year. Let's get all the feels with Forbes on the road @ Iowa

Back