• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - UNC v. Kansas for the Natty

For those of us in NC having to live daily amongst the mouth-breathers, the Kansas win averted a disastrous next several months. I'll take it!

Thank you Kansas for this! It was unbearable in NC with of the blue goat fans coming out of the woods. What made it better was they choked away the biggest lead ever in a championship game all the while playing hero ball, and chucking awful 3's. That's how they got to the finals, and it eventually it cost them in a big way. Not sure Hubert understands how substitution patterns work. You can't send these players out 40 minutes a night. That's why the injuries started to pile up, and they shooting went ice cold. Even if the players are a step down, you can't go Iron 5 in the big dance.

Re: Hubert Davis, a friend of mine framed it rather well. Davis was given the keys to a high-end, shiny new car with a tank full of gas. Let's see how he does when he has to build his own car.

Matt Doherty went 26-7 his first year at UNC and then crashed his shiny new car into a ditch , so it can definitely happen.

I had no idea Bacot was just a junior. I thought for sure he was a senior. They are going to be really tough next year.

Maybe that's the case now, but I 100% know that wasn't the case in the recent past. Not in the last few (2-3) years, but before.

Was just curious.
It's certainly possible that my explanation is not the case everywhere.

But it was the policy when I was at wake for wake family tickets

And it was the policy at two different ncaa basketball tournament sessions I've attended when I bought tickets from the official ticket office turned over by families of losing teams.

What type of venue and event are you describing where this was 100% not the case?

Three great athletes and the sign guy.

FPiw3T_XEAwYPJu

I give KU credit. Their d right out of the gate in the 2nd half was just excellent. UNC got nothing for 5 minutes. That more than the choke scenario is reality
Choke scenario works well though. Bacot, Love and Davis combined 12 of 54 shooting. KU defense was good but not that good.

He would have had 20+ rebounds AGAIN last night if he had 2 healthy legs.

Set the record for double doubles; 6 in the NCAA is also a record - he absolutely balled out.

I haven't heard anyone point out that Bacot had more games than Duncan to set the double-double record.

Sure. Part of that is the longer schedule but he and his teammates earned more games too. Six double doubles in the NCAA Tournament is impressive.

Sure. Part of that is the longer schedule but he and his teammates earned more games too. Six double doubles in the NCAA Tournament is impressive.

The difference is primarily the longer schedule. In Duncan's 4 years he played in 33, 32, 32, and 31 games.
I don't know when year he set the record of 29 double-doubles...
His Sr year we played two NCAA tourney games and 2 ACC tourney games - so 27 regular season. This year UNC played 39 games, so 31 regular season - a difference of 4 regular season games and 8 total games. That is a huge difference in opportunities.
Duncan's Jr. year we played in 32 games, 3 ACCT and 4 NCAA - so only 25 regular season.

In Duncan's 11 NCAA T games he had 10 dbl-dbls - the lone exception being a game his sophomore year when he has 25 and 9 against Saint Louis. In those 11 games he averaged 19 and 15...

Sometimes it is fun to look back and remember how great some of the players we have had were - especially Duncan. It has been so long ago now it is hard to imagine that we had the best player in the country for at least 2 years, probably 3...

It’s fun but sad. We should have done more with them.

Want a stunning stat? The most recent UNC players to make an NBA All-Star game were Vince Carter and Antwan Jamison who left UNC in 1998. It’s been 15 years since UNC had an alum in the NBA All-Star game. Wake has had four future All-Stars since 1997 and at least one alum in all but four All-Star games since 1998, two most years between 2007 and 2015 when we had three.

In fact the 2015 All-Star game may be the last time three Deacs played in the same game before Sarr and Hoard beat CP and the Suns last week. Despite the lost decade, seven Deacs have played in the NBA this season and that includes two rookies and not Aminu and Teague.

Last edited:
Who are the great Carolina players in the league right now?

Is Barnes still the best of the bunch?

Probably. Then Cole Anthony and Cam Johnson. Coby White is pretty good. It’s dicey after that.

I don't think Green is an answer to Strick's question anymore.

Matt Doherty went 26-7 his first year at UNC and then crashed his shiny new car into a ditch , so it can definitely happen.

The players openly hated him though. I don’t see any signs yet of these players hating Hubert. Time will tell. I agree that we have a lot to figure out about whether he is going to be a great coach.

In the past 48 hours, the Tarholes choked away a championship and the Lakers have choked themselves out of playoff contention.

All together, it's been a pretty good week so far.

You couldn't come up with a better illustration of a true Carolina athlete than Makhtar N'Diaye

Well, Doherty never made a FF but recruited a national championship team. He was let go because the players hated him and UNC would've lost most of that championship core had Doherty stayed. There is no evidence that the players don't like Hubert. In fact, it seems just the opposite.

Last edited:
It's certainly possible that my explanation is not the case everywhere.

But it was the policy when I was at wake for wake family tickets

And it was the policy at two different ncaa basketball tournament sessions I've attended when I bought tickets from the official ticket office turned over by families of losing teams.

What type of venue and event are you describing where this was 100% not the case?

It was just late 00's/early 10's ACC and NCAA tournaments.

Back