• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 25-9 (13-7), KP#33

I think our defense is most susceptible to a team that has multiple guys that can shoot the 3... That worries me about games against Syracuse, Notre Dame, and Miami (no matter whether they are home/away).

Feels like that's at least part of what happened against Miami (9-18 from 3) and Louisville (10-22 from 3). I mean, Miami shot it obscenely well from everywhere, but Louisville pretty much only hit 3s at a high percentage.

We are tied for 2nd place (with 6 other teams) for most wins in the NCAA at 17.

Two teams, Auburn and Ja Morant U. are tied for 1st at 18 wins.

I think our defense is most susceptible to a team that has multiple guys that can shoot the 3... That worries me about games against Syracuse, Notre Dame, and Miami (no matter whether they are home/away).

Feels like that's at least part of what happened against Miami (9-18 from 3) and Louisville (10-22 from 3). I mean, Miami shot it obscenely well from everywhere, but Louisville pretty much only hit 3s at a high percentage.

Monsanto will help with that issue. He's tall, long and quicker laterally than I expected at this stage of his recovery.

This season reminds me quite a bit of 1994. We had Childress who was not yet 'Childress', it was his first year out of the shadow of RR. But during that year he played a similar role as Alondes, where he could score anytime but got the rest of the team involved (i.e. making sure soph Duncan got the ball). We were never ranked the entire season, but wound up with a 5 seed in the NCAAT.

Duncan was a freshman on that '93-'94 squad and the season started out with an L to Alaska-Anchorage.

Notable wins that season - Sweeping Duke (who would later go on to lose the NCAA championship game to Arkansas) and toppling a Top 5 Carolina team at home.

Finished 9-7 in the ACC and Odom won COY.

The interesting question is do we want a double bye in the ACCT and therefore cheer against Notre Dame, Miami, FSU and Duke or do we want them to play well (except for against us) and possibly get a higher seed in the NCAAT with more quality wins?

That’s not an interesting question. We want to be seeded as high as possible in the ACCT. Screw them. Root against them.

The interesting question is do we want a double bye in the ACCT and therefore cheer against Notre Dame, Miami, FSU and Duke or do we want them to play well (except for against us) and possibly get a higher seed in the NCAAT with more quality wins?
We want a regular season championship, then a tournament championship.

Both. Wake wins out and they are at worst third. Probably higher. Wake has games against the four teams ahead of them. Wake can insure that each has at least three losses. Wake would hold the tie breakers over FSU (2-0 head to head) and ND (1-0 head to head).

Both. Wake wins out and they are at worst third. Probably higher. Wake has games against the four teams ahead of them. Wake can insure that each has at least three losses. Wake would hold the tie breakers over FSU (2-0 head to head) and ND (1-0 head to head).

Yeah, fair point re: the tie breaker against FSU and ND assuming both teams win out otherwise and we do too. I don't want us to be in a position where we come in say 5th and then lose our first game in the ACCT and somehow get put on the NCAAT bubble (since the narrative is that the ACC is down this year). I bet at most five teams get selected from the ACC for the NCAAT, at worst four.

Very big concern at Cuse. They shot 28% from 3 in Winston and they normally shoot 37% and our 3 D appears to be a possible weakness. Granted we shot horribly as well but not sure how much better we are going to be against their zone in the carrier as so tough to adjust for when not playing against regularly. Monsanto could be an X factor as hopefully he can get 3s at line without taking the bombs he has been taken an extra foot or two behind the 3 line.

Yeah, fair point re: the tie breaker against FSU and ND assuming both teams win out otherwise and we do too. I don't want us to be in a position where we come in say 5th and then lose our first game in the ACCT and somehow get put on the NCAAT bubble (since the narrative is that the ACC is down this year). I bet at most five teams get selected from the ACC for the NCAAT, at worst four.

I just think FSu is the #2 team with the way their 2 frosh have started to step up and given them some great production and added to their length and athleticism. They also are on a roll with wins over duke and away at Miami and sure we will be dogs there.

Forbes has a whole lot of tools in his toolbox this year. The season-long core 6 can score, pass, rebound, handle the ball and defend at a very high level. How many teams have a 7 footer and a 6-10 guy who can bring the ball up court? Not many.

Now Forbes is adding Monsanto to the mix. A great shooter, defender, rebounder. As he works himself into game shape, it will become a core 7.

Then there are the guys I call "situational players." Carter Whitt for more ball handling and play initiation and dropping dimes. Cam Hildreth for tough D on opposing wings and slashing inside. Matthew Marsh for those times when Wake needs some more beef inside. Marsh is one of the most physically imposing players in college basketball.

Wake needs to get ranked ASAP and stay ranked. Enough of this "hide under the radar" BS.

Get ranked. Get on Sports Center. Get in everybody's "Top 25 Roundup." Get better TV coverage. Profit.

More importantly, Alondes is getting the short end of this under the radar crap. He would be rising the NPOY discussion but no one really talks about him since our only highlights are when we play a ranked team which is only dook.

More importantly, Alondes is getting the short end of this under the radar crap. He would be rising the NPOY discussion but no one really talks about him since our only highlights are when we play a ranked team which is only dook.

Must spread reputation...

Excellent points. Alondes is in pretty elite company with his 20/5/5 season stat line.

Alondes is under the radar because Wake Forest basketball has been irrelevant for 12 years. Manman himself was a pre-teen the last time we mattered. Thank you Wellman and all the posters who shilled for him, Buzz, and Manning for years when we could’ve done much better. But him being under the radar in January doesn’t fucking matter. Keep winning and he will be on the radar.

Very big concern at Cuse. They shot 28% from 3 in Winston and they normally shoot 37% and our 3 D appears to be a possible weakness. Granted we shot horribly as well but not sure how much better we are going to be against their zone in the carrier as so tough to adjust for when not playing against regularly. Monsanto could be an X factor as hopefully he can get 3s at line without taking the bombs he has been taken an extra foot or two behind the 3 line.

We also didn’t have Williamson in the first game against Cuse. He will be huge against the zone.

BC shot 6/25 for 24% (they shoot 32% on the season). UNC shot 6/28 for 21% (they shoot 37% on the season). Georgia Tech shot 5/20 for 25% (they shoot 37% for the season). UVA shot 5/13 for 38% (they shoot 33% for the season but okay small sample size). Duke shot very well against us. Florida State shot 4/25 for 16% (they shoot 34% for the season).

Seems like our 3 point D is pretty good. We hold teams below their average more often than not.

Forbes has a whole lot of tools in his toolbox this year. The season-long core 6 can score, pass, rebound, handle the ball and defend at a very high level. How many teams have a 7 footer and a 6-10 guy who can bring the ball up court? Not many.

Now Forbes is adding Monsanto to the mix. A great shooter, defender, rebounder. As he works himself into game shape, it will become a core 7.

Then there are the guys I call "situational players." Carter Whitt for more ball handling and play initiation and dropping dimes. Cam Hildreth for tough D on opposing wings and slashing inside. Matthew Marsh for those times when Wake needs some more beef inside. Marsh is one of the most physically imposing players in college basketball.

Alondes is under the radar because Wake Forest basketball has been irrelevant for 12 years. Manman himself was a pre-teen the last time we mattered. Thank you Wellman and all the posters who shilled for him, Buzz, and Manning for years when we could’ve done much better. But him being under the radar in January doesn’t fucking matter. Keep winning and he will be on the radar.

We've had 6 players make 1st team AA, it's a pretty big deal.

Back