• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 25-9 (13-7), KP#33

Three point shooting/three point defense has really seemed to be the determining factor in games across the ACC this season. It has definitely been a factor for Wake. Not a coincidence that the three losses all occurred in games where our opponents made a higher percentage of threes.

No ideal why it's pulling two quotes and it won't let me edit.

Very big concern at Cuse. They shot 28% from 3 in Winston and they normally shoot 37% and our 3 D appears to be a possible weakness. Granted we shot horribly as well but not sure how much better we are going to be against their zone in the carrier as so tough to adjust for when not playing against regularly. Monsanto could be an X factor as hopefully he can get 3s at line without taking the bombs he has been taken an extra foot or two behind the 3 line.

Important to remember that in the first game against the Orange we did not have Monsanto or Williamson.

I doubt the media jumps on the Wake Forest bandwagon at the beginning of February. The Deacons are 55-117 after January over the past 15 years. That includes a post season tournament record of 4-20. I expect the voters to take a cautious wait and see attitude toward the Deacons and with good reason. The solution is to keep stacking wins and let the record do the talking. Earn some hardware.

Actions speaks louder than words.

BC shot 6/25 for 24% (they shoot 32% on the season). UNC shot 6/28 for 21% (they shoot 37% on the season). Georgia Tech shot 5/20 for 25% (they shoot 37% for the season). UVA shot 5/13 for 38% (they shoot 33% for the season but okay small sample size). Duke shot very well against us. Florida State shot 4/25 for 16% (they shoot 34% for the season).

Seems like our 3 point D is pretty good. We hold teams below their average more often than not.

For sure. We have the 2nd best 3PT% defense in conference games at 30.6%. Louisville hit some serious lol low% shots, Miami was out worst defensive game in the conference. We have locked down big time since those games. Looking forward to beating them both at home.

I doubt the media jumps on the Wake Forest bandwagon at the beginning of February. The Deacons are 55-117 after January over the past 15 years. That includes a post season tournament record of 4-20. I expect the voters to take a cautious wait and see attitude toward the Deacons and with good reason. The solution is to keep stacking wins and let the record do the talking. Earn some hardware.

Actions speaks louder than words.

I think you are giving way too much credit to the voters. No way more than three of them actually consider wake’s February record over the last decade.

Yeah. Wake is completely off their radars completely. But getting to 20-4 would force them to put Wake in their top 25.

I think you are giving way too much credit to the voters. No way more than three of them actually consider wake’s February record over the last decade.

Have to agree. Voters look at who won/lost from the list of teams that made it last week.

We aren't a team that is hanging on for dear life. Still ascending. The beauty of this particular team is how good they can get. A most unique season in our history.

Duncan was a freshman on that '93-'94 squad and the season started out with an L to Alaska-Anchorage.

Notable wins that season - Sweeping Duke (who would later go on to lose the NCAA championship game to Arkansas) and toppling a Top 5 Carolina team at home.

Finished 9-7 in the ACC and Odom won COY.

Great team chemistry. Blucas and Charlie Harrison decent starters, but not great, but fit well. Played very good defense.

Put a SR Rodney Rogers on that team, and we really had something...of course that wasn't happening.

This season reminds me quite a bit of 1994. We had Childress who was not yet 'Childress', it was his first year out of the shadow of RR. But during that year he played a similar role as Alondes, where he could score anytime but got the rest of the team involved (i.e. making sure soph Duncan got the ball). We were never ranked the entire season, but wound up with a 5 seed in the NCAAT.

Childress was always 'Childress'. Even though RR was the best player, Childress was the leader.

That was a "there is no f'ing way" game between the FT disparity calls and the Cards making some lol shots from 3. I expect we blow them out at home as they are folding now mid conference season.

And they'll probably have an interim coach.

And they'll probably have an interim coach.

That could impact the game. Players may Mail in the rest of the season and it's a blowout win. Or the players may play hard for themselves and/or the interim and the game is close. Louisville has some talented players. If Mack is still in his job, it should be a blowout Wake win.

I saw an updated NBA top 100 prospects today and they had Laravia @ 58 and Alondes @ 85.

Duke barely beats Clemson at home Miami wins on a 40 footer to beat VT and FSU is down 11 to GT at half. Guys, this season is there for the taking with versatility teamwork and coaching

I believe we technically control our own destiny.

Last edited:
I believe we technically control our own destiny.

Yeah. That’s the benefit of playing the other top 4 teams twice. I like our chances of finishing 2nd. Miami has 7 road games and 4 home games left. Duke has 8 road games and 4 home games left.

Interesting to note the ACC is now led by four private schools. I find that to be rather amazing.

It took literally one month of good basketball—in the last 12 years—for Wake Forest fans to start fretting again about losing the coach to a better program. That trope is well and truly embedded in the Wake basketball fan DNA.
LOWF. Forever and always.

Back