• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 25-9 (13-7), KP#33

I clicked through that shitty slideshow to see what they said about Tim. All they talked about was his financial advisor skimming money off and Tim suing him

Your sacrifice made it so the rest of us didn't have to bother. Thank you for your efforts.

Tim did not lose all his money. He is still very, very well off. My SIL is a friend and they communicate often.

I know. It was a joke. Stole the quote and changed the name and team name from another thread.

no offense to kenpom, but how in the hell is 12-10 Va Tech ranked ahead of us at this point in the season?

Random thing I noticed... Which prompted me to look this post up from last year.

Also, to close the loop on a topic from earlier this year... Home teams won 80 of 121 ACC games this season (66.1%).

Highest % since 2016-17.

So the lack of fans did not impact home court advantage... At least not in a measurable way.

Back down to 59% this year.

More in-line with the norm (and actually lower than usual).

Maybe that's just parity.

Still so weird to me that last year, at least in the ACC, home teams were more dominant with no fans in the arena.

Yeah, it's weird. Also, with 15 teams, the ACC has played an unbalanced schedule for awhile, but last year, it was ridiculously unbalanced. Some teams played as many as 18 conference games (ND); others played as few as 13 (BC and VT). So, teams didn't play an equal number of home and road games. WF who sucked played 10 road games (and lost all but one). Generally, the better teams in the conference (FSU and VT) played more home games than road conference games. Last year was so screwed up, it's hard to put much significance into the numbers.

miami at 66 and ND at 77 seem way too low as well with VT at 42 and Clemson at 65?!

get your shit together, kenpom

on the advanced kenpom stats... Wake Forest has the #2 offensive efficiency and the #2 defensive efficiency in the ACC (conference games only)

seems that we're really, really good (i'd say elite) at 2pt fg% offense and defense

interestingly enough... we're near the bottom in TOs... both on offense (turning the ball over too much) and defense (getting turnovers)

WF's KP rating is hurt by playing the weakest OOC schedule in the conference. VT played a stronger schedule and had several blowout wins that inflate their ranking. Miami had a horrible start to its OOC season, which still drags down its KP rating. As noted, WF has very strong ratings in ACC games, so if the rating was limited to conference games, WF would be much higher and VT would be lower (obviously ND and Miami would be higher as they picked it up in conference play. If WF had idea that it was going to be this good, they would've played a more challenging OOC schedule. Except for a few games, the ACC sucked in OOC play, which will drag down ratings.

There's another basketball rating site "Torvik basketball" that allows you to customize rankings based on date or just conference games. Ranking based solely on ACC games, leaves WF #2 in the ACC and VT #8. https://www.barttorvik.com/?year=2022&sort=&hteam=&t2value=&conlimit=ACC&state=All&begin=20211204&end=20220501&top=0&revquad=0&quad=5&venue=All&type=C&mingames=0#

on the advanced kenpom stats... Wake Forest has the #2 offensive efficiency and the #2 defensive efficiency in the ACC (conference games only)

seems that we're really, really good (i'd say elite) at 2pt fg% offense and defense

interestingly enough... we're near the bottom in TOs... both on offense (turning the ball over too much) and defense (getting turnovers)

We really are elite in 2p% for and against. I noted in another thread that we are #3 in the country in the gap between offense and defense in that stat, +14.8, behind only Gonzaga and Arizona, and #4 is still a ways behind us. And it wasn’t non-conference that got us there, as we are actually better in ACC play at +17.8.

We also shoot halfway decently from 3/FT, so that shouldn’t be an issue either.

Where we have failed, and what our season likely turns on, is we give up extra possessions to our opponents. In ACC games only, we turn the ball over on 19.2% of possessions, -4.5% versus what we force. And we give up 2% more offensive rebounds (as a percent of misses than opponents, so let’s call that 1.0% of possessions lost (50% makes for easy math).

Ignoring fouls, which could even put, that is 5.5% less possessions to score, or about 4 possessions per game. If we could get that to even, our efficiency would win out even more and we could play with anyone.

So cut down on stupid turnovers and get a few ore rebounds. Need to get a little more in tune with Skip's "to whom it may concern..." concept.

As the season has progressed, VT's OOC schedule, and particularly its OOC wins, have looked less and less impressive

VT has 2 OOC wins over the top 150 teams in college hoop:
#90 Maryland (4 points)
#94 St. Bonnie (37 points)

that is the list

WF has 2 OOC wins over the top 150:
#73 Northwestern (4 points, in OT)
#146 VMI (7 points)

VT's other OOC wins came against teams rated:

so VT has a total of 4 OOC wins against the top 300 teams in college basketball

WF's other OOC wins:

VT has two top 100 wins within the ACC:
#72 Notre Dame (6)
#84 at FSU (13)

WF has five top 100 wins within the ACC:
#37 UNC (22)
#42 at VT (19)
#77 Cuse (3, OT)
#84 FSU (22)
#93 VA (8)

not seeing an argument to rate VT ahead of WF (and I understand a rating system doesn't make arguments)

IIRC, Ken Pom doesn't care about wins or losses, it just looks at efficiency. So wouldn't get too caught up in the overall ranking, that doesn't correlate exactly with tournament seeding. Looking at the more detailed stats gives a more helpful view of a team. Or looking just at conference #s at this point in the season.

If we had played a harder ooc schedule I’m not sure the team would have come together as well. The team needed confidence.

I'm just coming on here for a quick question, forgive me for not reading this whole thread (or even going back a few pages).....I haven't watched any CBB this year and know basically nothing about our team beyond a few names and the coaches tweets.

Can someone explain how we are 18-5 (8-4) and not receiving ANY votes in the AP Poll, while Marquette is 14-7 and ranked #24?

Please save the whole "if you'd read you'd find out" or "watch the games stupid" or "you're not a real fan" stuff (I've had family health issues and haven't been able to watch) and just give me a reasonable explanation.

Sorry for being a bother ahead of time

Because we've played the 348th easiest schedule out of 358. Marquette has played a schedule ranked 52.

Marquette is also 7-5 in Quad 1 games. Wake is currently 1-3.

Like I said, I haven't watched anything this year and didn't know anything about the schedule.

What are the advantages of playing such an easy schedule if going 10-1 OOC doesn't bump you at all? Still seems like going 8-4 in conference should be enough to get SOME votes. No matter how down the ACC is.

I guess make the guys and fans feel better with a winning record? Idk...just seems like a no-win situation.

Maybe just watch some games and pay more attention?

Back