• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 25-9 (13-7), KP#33

Palm thinks only 2 ACC teams will get in. Wow.

Lol, on Palm's bio it says "he was the first to bring RPI out in the open." The only two metrics he lists beside teams are NET and RPI. Guy is a dinosaur and a clown that no one should pay attention to.

If you looked at the Wake roster from outside, it wasn't impressive.
Wake recruits:
Fr PG who had moments but was over matched
SF who wasn't good playing out of position at PF.
C who was coming off major surgery and long haul Covid. Nobody knew how well or whether he would recover.
2G who had the body of a PG. How would that work?

Recruits: two three star guys. Not likely to be big contributors immediately. Two Brits who were giant question marks. The best HS player in Britain is how good compared to US HS talent? Nobody knew.

C from Colorado who had had major surgeries and hadn't played a lot of minutes per game.

C/PF from Mississippi who was well traveled and wasn't a star.

2/3 SoCon Freshman of the year. Torn Achilles, not expected to play.
3/4 from Indiana State. Stepping up a few levels. Would his game work against better competition?

2/3 role player/7th or 8th guy on a good Oklahoma team.

Forbes and staff have these guys playing at the high end of expected performance level. And has the group playing as a team. The preseason ceiling was wxpected to be middle ACC, not fighting for a top spot. The chemistry and player improvement has exceeded expectations.

Yes, and these surprise teams are the most fun so let’s all enjoy the ride.

Palm logic

-Houston (19-2/8-0): 4-2 vs. Quad 1/2, #122 SOS= 4 seed.
-USC (19-3/9-3): 5-3 vs. Quad 1/2, #133 SOS= 9 seed.
-Wake Forest (18-5/8-4): 3-5 vs. Quad 1/2= Next 4 Out?
-Houston has zero Quad 1 wins. USC has two. Wake has one. The ACC and Pac-12 are both better leagues than the AAC by any metric.

Houston is very good (#2 NET/#6 KP/#2 BPI). My point is what is his evaluation criteria? From my analysis he seems to heavily weigh Quad 1 wins, perhaps more than anyone else. Stanford is a prime example. They have four wins vs. Quad 1: USC (home/road), Wyoming (neutral), Washington St. (away); and two wins vs. Quad 2: Oregon (home) and Liberty (neutral). They were blown out by Santa Clara on the road (#76 NET/#72 KP), which was a somewhat similar result to Wake's loss at Syracuse (#91 NET/#77 KP). Except Stanford was never in the game after the first few minutes (-15 at 10 minute mark of 1st half, -13 at half). Stanford also lost at Colorado by 4 (#101 NET/#102 KP) and at Washington by 3 (#126 NET/#129 KP), both of which are comparable to Wake's loss at Louisville. Stanford also has losses against elite/near elite teams in which they were totally non-competitive: at Baylor by 38, at UCLA by 23, at home against Arizona by 28, and against Texas on a neutral court by 7 (-9 at half, -18 at 10 minute mark of second half). They're 13-8 overall and 6-5 in the Pac-12, which is the KP #5 conference while the ACC is KP #6. These are the real indicators, in my opinion. Stanford has some quality wins against lower end projected NCAAT teams while getting destroyed against top competition. Stanford is #92 NET/#93 KP, Wake is #44 NET/#43 KP. Stanford is #54 SOR (strength of record), Wake is #32 SOR.

-Iona (18-3): 3-3 vs. Quad 1/2, #120 SOS, #58 NET/#71 KP= 9 seed
-San Diego St. (12-5): 3-5 vs. Quad 1/2, #88 SOS, #48 NET/#35 KP= 10 seed
-Loyola-Chicago (17-4): 3-4 vs. Quad 1/2, #151 SOS, #32 NET/#33 KP= 10 seed
-Wake Forest (18-5): 3-5 vs. Quad 1/2, #84 SOS, #44 NET/#43 KP= Next 4 Out?

Jerry Palm vs. Bracket Matrix aggregate

These teams are all two or more seed lines above or below their average on Bracket Matrix. Italicized teams are 3 or more seed lines above or below the BM average, essentially seeding outliers:

-Providence: Palm= 2 seed; BM= 4 seed
-Villanova: Palm= 5 seed; BM= 3 seed
-LSU: Palm= 6 seed; BM= 4 seed
-Stanford: Palm= 12 seed/Last Four In; BM= Next Four Out
-TCU: Palm= 6 seed; BM= 9 seed
-BYU: Palm= 12 seed/Last Four In; BM= 8 seed
-Iona: Palm= 9 seed; BM= 12 seed/Automatic Qualifier
-Wake Forest: Palm= Next Four Out?; BM= 10 seed (selected in 103/110 brackets)
-Arkansas: Palm= Next Four Out?; BM= 11 seed (selected in 106/110 brackets)

Wake and Arkansas have a question mark because Palm only includes First Four Out so I'm assuming they would be Next Four Out. Wake is in the field in 103/110 brackets. They're in the First Four in 6/103 brackets. They're First Four Out in 6/7 in which they're not in the field. The only individual's bracket in which they're not in any of these categories: JERRY PALM.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/
http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Not sure where to put this, but just listened to an interview w/ Forbes where he casually mentioned he had COVID and that was why he missed the GT game.

I had known he was sick, but I thought it was non-COVID.

Doesn't matter at all, but it was the first I'd heard of it.

Interesting. I'm almost positive one of the guys on the broadcast team that night specifically said that it was not Covid, and I remember thinking they must have got that info directly from Forbes or the AD. Maybe he had a false negative test and/or learned it was Covid only after the fact?

Where the fuck is our game against FSU? It was supposed to be on the ACCN, but they're showing an old Duke/UNC game. I can't find it anywhere.

Where the fuck is our game against FSU? It was supposed to be on the ACCN, but they're showing an old Duke/UNC game. I can't find it anywhere.

Was always listed as ACCNX which around here means Bally. Hope you had your nausea medicine.

ACC road wins revisited

2010-2021: 9-90
21-22: 4-3

BZ: 2-32 (4 seasons)
DM: 6-49 (6 seasons)
SF: 5-12 (1.65 seasons)

I usually watch it in the ESPN app with my phone on google vpn to avoid the blackout.

Am I correct in seeing that if we get a double bye, we’ll get more than a week of rest before the first tournament game? With no game the final regular season weekend.

Am I correct in seeing that if we get a double bye, we’ll get more than a week of rest before the first tournament game? With no game the final regular season weekend.

yes

not having a game the final regular season weekend could cause us to be rusty (I don't blame the ACC for assuming we would be playing on Tuesday given the last 11 years)

Not sure how you can call Jake the “steal of the year” out of the portal and not mention ManMan…..CBS Sports ain’t what it used to be

Not sure how you can call Jake the “steal of the year” out of the portal and not mention ManMan…..CBS Sports ain’t what it used to be

We get Laravia for 2 more years, he's still developing, and he came from a non Power 5 school.

Plus Man Man is already on everyone's radars.

We get Laravia for 2 more years, he's still developing, and he came from a non Power 5 school.

Plus Man Man is already on everyone's radars.

One more year max. And maybe not that.

Back