• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Wake Women's Hoops Thread - Hoover fired after 10 seasons

Remember all the Wake alums saying you can’t hire wake alums or donors because “what do you do if it doesn’t go well.”

Once again, we see that is not a reason not to hire someone. You fire them if it doesn’t work out. It’s ok. Press release. Next.

10 years and 1 winning season later we let her go.

Yeah, I don't get the "without cause" part. Especially from someone in the coaching profession at a Division I level.

I’m guessing she found a lawyer who was willing to take her case.

10 years and 1 winning season later we let her go.

Yep. She got an alumni bonus. Hired with one year of head coaching experience. Got 10 years at her alma mater before turning 50. Not bad.

Odom and Grobe had ACC Championship(s) and several winning seasons and only lasted a few years longer.

The comment on the Wake women's basketball Facebook page are something else. apparently the program has a dedicated fan group very comfortable with it being a bottom feeder

Last edited:
The comment on the Wake women's basketball Facebook page or something else. apparently the program has a dedicated fan group very comfortable with it being a bottom feeder

Many Wake fans in general are comfortable with Wake sports being bottom feeders.

In the strange world of college athletics, terminations without cause are typically because you don’t win and suck at your job, even though it’s your job to win. Terminations with cause are because you fucked a goat and embarrassed the university or got caught bribing a player or something.

Yeah, I don't get the "without cause" part. Especially from someone in the coaching profession at a Division I level.

I’m guessing she found a lawyer who was willing to take her case.

"Without cause" in the context of a coaching contract typically just means no NCAA violations, nothing that would trigger a morality clause, no crimes, etc. Losing generally isn't going to be considered "cause." Obviously have no idea what Hoover's contract says (and Currie said there weren't any issues of impropriety), but I doubt there's any case here - she's probably entitled to some kind of compensation and Wake will pay it.

2022-23 Wake Women's Hoops Thread - Hoover fired after 10 seasons

"Without cause" in the context of a coaching contract typically just means no NCAA violations, nothing that would trigger a morality clause, no crimes, etc. Losing generally isn't going to be considered "cause." Obviously have no idea what Hoover's contract says (and Currie said there weren't any issues of impropriety), but I doubt there's any case here - she's probably entitled to some kind of compensation and Wake will pay it.

Sure. But you don’t usually see a coach say it so bluntly in their first statement after being fired. It seems like intentional legalese.

Here is the ESPN writeup. I didn’t see that the other two assistants left as well. This has clearly been in the works for awhile. I would hope the players found out before the transfer portal closed. If so, that’s good news. I’m excited to see what Spear can do with a new coach. Also excited to see what the coach can do in the portal.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college...-jen-hoover-women-basketball-coach-10-seasons

John Currie just sent a signal to all Deacon fans that he has high expectations of each of our programs and expects to compete at the highest level. Currie doesn’t buy into LOWF. Timing might seem bad to us but I’m sure he has a plan.

Wake women’s basketball was by far our worst performing program and while Jen was a great alum, fan and cheerleader the results are not there. They were at Wake at the same time…I’m sure this was tough for him but he believes Wake can win in anything.

I’ve been around him enough to know he won’t settle.

Sure. But you don’t usually see a coach say it so bluntly in their first statement after being fired. It seems like intentional legalese.

I agree you don't typically see it, but Wake included the quote in its official press release - there's no way they do that if there's any kind of dispute.

John Currie just sent a signal to all Deacon fans that he has high expectations of each of our programs and expects to compete at the highest level. Currie doesn’t buy into LOWF. Timing might seem bad to us but I’m sure he has a plan.

Wake women’s basketball was by far our worst performing program and while Jen was a great alum, fan and cheerleader the results are not there. They were at Wake at the same time…I’m sure this was tough for him but he believes Wake can win in anything.

I’ve been around him enough to know he won’t settle.

I'm a huge Currie fan and applaud his commitment to excellence. That said, I'm not sure 500 people really care about our women's basketball program. It's been something the AD and fanbase have babysat for decades. Maybe that will change.

I'm a huge Currie fan and applaud his commitment to excellence. That said, I'm not sure 500 people really care about our women's basketball program. It's been something the AD and fanbase have babysat for decades. Maybe that will change.

Well 499 left to find because I care and I’m thrilled, as lovely as Jen is. I’d love to see us get out of the bottom third of the ACC for good. I like the statement made. I wonder if a donor came through with payout and/or Currie lined up a great new coach and couldn’t pass.

Again, the timing seems clear. Monday was 10 years since she was hired. Small POI, Hoover's record was 143-171 (.455) overall and 62-124 (.333) in the ACC. [Redacted] was 51-76 (.402) and 17-51 (.250). Manning was 78-111 (.412) and 30-80 (.272). So no, women's basketball was not by far our worst performing program.

PH - my bad, I should have said historically worst performing program of which there is no dispute

How in the world did this news make front page of ESPN.com???

Yeah. It's a stunning stat. I'm confident Currie is going to right the ship.

Any ideas about replacements? I did a search for Tennessee assistant coaches while Currie was there and nobody came up as a possible candidate. They were either out of coaching or at jobs much better than Wake. Currie did fire a women's hoops coach while AD at K-State. That coach has been good. He's made 4 NCAAs in 8 years including making the second round last year.

Saw this: "After the season, all three assistants departed, with associate head coach Erin Dickerson Davis becoming head coach at William & Mary."

So, with mostly an entirely new WBB staff now needed, it was a good time to make the change total and clear any baggage.. May not have happened without the full staff bail. Who knows? This makes me understand to do the full move now. Best of luck to Jen. Always a valued Deac and hope a good opportunity opens up for her..

Again, the timing seems clear. Monday was 10 years since she was hired. Small POI, Hoover's record was 143-171 (.455) overall and 62-124 (.333) in the ACC. [Redacted] was 51-76 (.402) and 17-51 (.250). Manning was 78-111 (.412) and 30-80 (.272). So no, women's basketball was not by far our worst performing program.

I missed the ten year thing. Thanks for pointing that out. Former WBB players are pretty shocked, so this was not widely circulated.

In the ESPN article I love that Currie said “wins and loses matter, we keep score”

Back