• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Wake Women's Hoops Thread - Hoover fired after 10 seasons

Remember all the Wake alums saying you can’t hire wake alums or donors because “what do you do if it doesn’t go well.”

Once again, we see that is not a reason not to hire someone. You fire them if it doesn’t work out. It’s ok. Press release. Next.

cg9qzscr-1353902186.jpg

Again, the timing seems clear. Monday was 10 years since she was hired. Small POI, Hoover's record was 143-171 (.455) overall and 62-124 (.333) in the ACC. [Redacted] was 51-76 (.402) and 17-51 (.250). Manning was 78-111 (.412) and 30-80 (.272). So no, women's basketball was not by far our worst performing program.

The ACC record for Jen is wrong -- that's including her one season at High Point.

She was 49-119 in ACC.

I would hope the players found out before the transfer portal closed. If so, that’s good news. I’m excited to see what Spear can do with a new coach. Also excited to see what the coach can do in the portal.

I don’t know whether the rules are different for women’s hoop, but on the men’s side, if the coach gets fired after May 1 his players are given an extension to enter the portal and transfer without sitting out a year.

I don’t know whether the rules are different for women’s hoop, but on the men’s side, if the coach gets fired after May 1 his players are given an extension to enter the portal and transfer without sitting out a year.

True, and that's confirmed by Currie late in that video -- players now have until July 1 to enter and use first-time transfer/immediate eligibility rule.

The ACC record for Jen is wrong -- that's including her one season at High Point.

She was 49-119 in ACC.

Thanks. Still better than our previous two men's coaches though.

Thanks. I forgot.

Good riddance. A pathetic tenure, even for a historically pathetically weak program.

Just published...

Good press conference. No offense to Les and Conor, but Lauren always seems to ask the best questions. Nice work at the end asking Currie about the ACC possibly switching from divisions to the 3-5-5 model.

The comment on the Wake women's basketball Facebook page are something else. apparently the program has a dedicated fan group very comfortable with it being a bottom feeder

Just catching up on these now - what a deluded bunch. “What more could you ask of a coach?” More wins, maybe?

Just catching up on these now - what a deluded bunch. “What more could you ask of a coach?” More wins, maybe?
It's sad that none of those comments are surprising to me. We had an entire group on FB (probably the same people commenting in this instance as well) that during the [Redacted] era were fine with the losing so long as the players were nice and didn't cause a scene. They are content to sit back and collect the ACC revenues and toasting each other in the club areas at WF sporting events.

I appreciate the effort and dedication Hoover provided as a player and a coach. That said, losing three assistant coaches made the timing for a change the correct move. The won-loss record is unacceptable.

I hope the timing was directly related to Currie having an opportunity to secure the services of a quality coach too good to pass on.

It takes time to drift on down to the former "non-revenue" programs, but the new Currie standards are replacing the Well, man tolerance for underperformance that permeated the entire athletic program. Good for us.

In the strange world of college athletics, terminations without cause are typically because you don’t win and suck at your job, even though it’s your job to win. Terminations with cause are because you fucked a goat and embarrassed the university or got caught bribing a player or something.

You fuck one goat...

Who are the candidates to replace her?

Not sure. Currie said something in his press conference to the effect that there should be less chaos due to the timing. I think he likes being one of the only open jobs as opposed to hiring in early April.

Rutgers is the only major conference position open now. C. Vivian Stringer retired two weeks ago. Aside from that, there are a few low major jobs. So there will be little competition. I assume he’ll be looking for a good mid-major coach.

I hate it, I don't think we could've had a women's coach that wanted to succeed more here than Jen Hoover, but ultimately you've got to win games and she just didn't get it done. Honestly, it probably wasn't fair to hire a coach with one year of head coaching experience at a lower tier school and expect her to be able to handle the job. If she had continued success at High Point and then moved to a bigger program and had success and we would've hired her after that, it may have worked out entirely different. Of course it makes one question the appeal of our women's program at the time to hire a better coach since the one she replaced left us (a power conference school) to go to North Texas.

Don't agree that the timing was good. The timing is the only negative aspect of the move. Smart to move on, but in addition to losing other potential candidates to jobs that have been filled, the new coach lost any shot to bring in her/his recruits for the Class of 22 transfer portal candidates, and the recruiting for the Class of 23 is well underway. While WF always gives plenty of time for its coaches to build the program, the new coach will be behind every other coach in the country when it comes to recruiting, building a staff and building a rapport with whomever stays. Also, while WF did the right thing to extend the portal option for existing players and incoming recruits, those players and recruits are largely hosed. There are very few open roster spots, particularly among the most attractive programs.

This move was not envisioned when the season ended. Something (or a combination of things) happened between March and May that triggered this. Guessing among the factors:

- The loss of the assistant coaches
- The exit interviews with the players
- The recruiting (or lack of recruiting) for the HS of 23
- Maybe even negotiations that would have made it easier to dump Hoover after next season

Last edited:
Again, Wellman announced Hoover’s hire on May 9, 2012. I don’t think it’s coincidence that her firing was announced almost 10 years to the day.

Also again, players can go into the portal until July 1 after a coaching change. So if a coach wants to bring their players, they can.

Back