• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Wake Women's Hoops Thread - Hoover fired after 10 seasons

Again, Wellman announced Hoover’s hire on May 9, 2012. I don’t think it’s coincidence that her firing was announced almost 10 years to the day.

Also again, players can go into the portal until July 1 after a coaching change. So if a coach wants to bring their players, they can.

Currie doesn't GAF when Wellman hired Hoover. Currie does nothing based on what Wellman did.

"If a coach wants to bring in their players, they can". What? Yes, adding players will be allowed, but whether its permitted by the rules doesn't mean its practical. Most players have decided where they are spending their next season. Making this move now, means next season is lost, and WF is behind in recruiting the class of 23. That is a fact. Impossible to spin the timing of this move as a good thing. Guarantee if Currie could go back two months, Hoover would've been fired after the ACCT. Something else happened after the season that led to this decision.

i think the point is there was probably something contractually that made it prudent to wait until now. currie cited some of the recent assistant coaching turnover in the presser as well.

Pilch, Hoover's original contract started 10 years ago. Hoover signed a contract extension last June. It's quite possible it's easier to fire her after a contract year ends.

Explain to me why you don't think that's straightforward logic.

Sorry to see her let go at this time. However, it is a necessary transition if Wake basketball is to become better than it historically has been. The single NCAA tournament appearance is her high water mark. Because she is a Wake alum, I guess she got a longer tenure than another might have been given. Covid also stretched things out. Seems she is another person to whom the adage, "great player, not so great a coach" applies. All the best to her in whatever she chooses to do next.

I for one am perplexed at the timing of her being let go. I would have expected this change to have happened earlier in the year or not until after the conclusion of next season. Also, the coaching carousel has almost finished spinning for this year. Finding a new head coach this late may be more difficult than if the transition had started a month ago. The new coach may find slim pickings in the portal, and any current Wake players that want to leave because of the change will have many fewer options than they would have is this were done earlier.

People here acting like they have no patience for a WBB rebuild, while we hope Forbes delivers an NCAA bid in year 3

Don't agree that the timing was good. The timing is the only negative aspect of the move. Smart to move on, but in addition to losing other potential candidates to jobs that have been filled, the new coach lost any shot to bring in her/his recruits for the Class of 22 transfer portal candidates, and the recruiting for the Class of 23 is well underway. While WF always gives plenty of time for its coaches to build the program, the new coach will be behind every other coach in the country when it comes to recruiting, building a staff and building a rapport with whomever stays. Also, while WF did the right thing to extend the portal option for existing players and incoming recruits, those players and recruits are largely hosed. There are very few open roster spots, particularly among the most attractive programs.

This move was not envisioned when the season ended. Something (or a combination of things) happened between March and May that triggered this. Guessing among the factors:

- The loss of the assistant coaches
- The exit interviews with the players
- The recruiting (or lack of recruiting) for the HS of 23
- Maybe even negotiations that would have made it easier to dump Hoover after next season

I agree with the above as the probable scenario.

However, the bottom line is that it does always come down to wins and losses. Plus, it is always not just about the X's and O's but in women's basketball it is about the Jills and the Janes. Specifically, if Jen Hoover had successfully recruited Liz Kitley she would still be coaching at Wake today.

Pilch, Hoover's original contract started 10 years ago. Hoover signed a contract extension last June. It's quite possible it's easier to fire her after a contract year ends.

Explain to me why you don't think that's straightforward logic.

If Hoover's contract ended, then it's not a firing. Her contract was not renewed. If it saved WF some money by waiting until the end of her deal, then, that makes sense from a money perspective.

All of that said, from a pure competitive standpoint, this is not the optimum time to search for a coach, bring in a staff and build a roster, WF women's basketball will be behind other programs. That's undeniable. People were freaking about the men's basketball roster in mid-April when we hadn't landed our transfer class, and it was unclear who was returning. The women's basketball program is months behind that timeline. So, yes, WF women's hoop will be at a further competitive disadvantage for next year, and for working HS recruits in the Class of 2023.

Also, regardless if the portal window is extended because of the move; the timing does suck for the current players and recruits because there aren't many open roster spots right now around the country. Transferring is a game of musical chairs, and almost all of the chairs are full right now. So, the players and recruits would have been in a better position with a March decision. Maybe because WF women's hoop has been bad for so long, the athletic department was willing to punt a season or two and didn't care enough about the options of the current players and recruits to save some money. It's OK to support the move, but acknowledge that the timing was not perfect.

John Currie just sent a signal to all Deacon fans that he has high expectations of each of our programs and expects to compete at the highest level. Currie doesn’t buy into LOWF. Timing might seem bad to us but I’m sure he has a plan.

Wake women’s basketball was by far our worst performing program and while Jen was a great alum, fan and cheerleader the results are not there. They were at Wake at the same time…I’m sure this was tough for him but he believes Wake can win in anything.

I’ve been around him enough to know he won’t settle.

I hope this applies to the baseball program as well.

People here acting like they have no patience for a WBB rebuild, while we hope Forbes delivers an NCAA bid in year 3

Where do you get that idea?

If Hoover's contract ended, then it's not a firing. Her contract was not renewed. If it saved WF some money by waiting until the end of her deal, then, that makes sense from a money perspective.

All of that said, from a pure competitive standpoint, this is not the optimum time to search for a coach, bring in a staff and build a roster, WF women's basketball will be behind other programs. That's undeniable. People were freaking about the men's basketball roster in mid-April when we hadn't landed our transfer class, and it was unclear who was returning. The women's basketball program is months behind that timeline. So, yes, WF women's hoop will be at a further competitive disadvantage for next year, and for working HS recruits in the Class of 2023.

Also, regardless if the portal window is extended because of the move; the timing does suck for the current players and recruits because there aren't many open roster spots right now around the country. Transferring is a game of musical chairs, and almost all of the chairs are full right now. So, the players and recruits would have been in a better position with a March decision. Maybe because WF women's hoop has been bad for so long, the athletic department was willing to punt a season or two and didn't care enough about the options of the current players and recruits to save some money. It's OK to support the move, but acknowledge that the timing was not perfect.

I think the point is that on the anniversary of a contract the buy out clauses likely get reduced, so even if the decision to let her go was made weeks ago, it might have saved the AD a pile of money to wait until after May 9th 2022.

I think the point is that on the anniversary of a contract the buy out clauses likely get reduced, so even if the decision to let her go was made weeks ago, it might have saved the AD a pile of money to wait until after May 9th 2022.

100% agree. Money considerations took precedence over competitive considerations.

It's sad that none of those comments are surprising to me. We had an entire group on FB (probably the same people commenting in this instance as well) that during the [Redacted] era were fine with the losing so long as the players were nice and didn't cause a scene. They are content to sit back and collect the ACC revenues and toasting each other in the club areas at WF sporting events.

Why are you people reading anything on Facebook? Delete that website from your life

It sounds like we were basically bringing in a new staff anyway.

Wake is a major conference program. Wake is not going to be screwed by the timing. The mid-major program that loses a whole staff will be screwed unless they just promote an assistant.

Has anyone found out where the assistants are going? Dickerson took the HC at William & Mary. I have scavenged the internet for news about where Dane Sparrow or Cherie Cordoba are going and found nothing. Dane's Wake twitter handle was deleted, but I can't find anything else.

Is it that big of a negative that Dickerson took the William & Mary HC job? Seems kind of odd how big of an emphasis Currie placed on staff turnover in the press conference.

An assistant getting a HC gig shouldn't be a negative. On the contrary, it should be a positive. However, two assistants just leaving and essentily disappearing is not good.

Back