• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

I think I’m done with NFL football if we sign Watson. I had probably been looking for an excuse but I’m not gonna root for this guy.

Same. No chance I root for the Panthers if they trade for him. Tepper should be run out of town if it happens.

it's like Tepper forgot why he had the opportunity to buy the team to begin with

Here’s an idea. Draft a QB

The Bears had similar offensive production yesterday.

I still think Darnold can be fine if the rest of the offense isn’t collapsing around him. Giving up three 1st to get a guy who can perform in the worst situation instead of using those picks to improve the offense just don’t seem prudent.

also, who knows where Watson's mind is at right now. he's got a whole bunch of shit on his shoulders and when (if) he's even able to play again what kind of damage will have been done?

He's 1 of the top 5 QBs in the league. Period. I'd guess he's ready to ball out given what has happened in Houston. I just don't think he's gonna play this year because the league ain't letting him on the field until the criminal investigation is completed. Not a good situation for the rest of the team to play the year out with Watson just sitting there. Then again, the last few weeks are not a good situation.

Guitar, why the heck don't Rhule and Fitterer want Watson? Bridgewater and Darnold suck, and they didn't opt for 1 of this year's 5 rookie QBs - a much better pool to choose from than next year's 1st round - maybe Corral and Willis?. What other choices do they have? Like Watson, Rodgers will have a lot to say about where he gets traded, and I think he'd certainly want Den, SF, NO or Cle over y'all. Wilson could be on the market, and Jimmy G will definitely be, but he's an oft injured middle of the road QB.

Here’s an idea. Draft a QB

Last year was a much larger and better pool than next year's 1st round. No QB will go #1 next year (Thibodeaux will), and it looks like the best QBs are Corral and Willis. I'm hoping the Liberty/Ole Miss tilt in November is on TV so I can check it out. Never seen Willis, but Corral is pretty mobile and throws it well. But he's not a big guy, just 6'.

Tepper is pissed and wants to win. He’s not a real patient man. He just isn’t. And he has hired his own attorney in Houston who is very close to the attorney for Watson and that guy has his nose deep in every bit of info as to the Watson situation and what the reality is. Tepper knows WAY more than anyone about what the legal prospects are for Watson and what’s true and not true. He’s been as smart as you can be about due diligence ahead of any trade for Watson. Miami has not done this.

I think Tepper remembers well how Steelers fans forgot quickly about Ben and what he did. I’m not going to be the guy to compare the two and what they did or were accused of doing. Tons of other examples. But Tepper isn’t basing his decision on the same info we all have or anyone else for that matter.

If you look at the team and think all we need is a quarterback Tampa Bay style, no holes to fill with quality draft picks, then I have no idea what team he is evaluating.

If you look at the team and think all we need is a quarterback Tampa Bay style, no holes to fill with quality draft picks, then I have no idea what team he is evaluating.

A great QB can mask a lot of other deficiencies. Watson did a lot of that his last few years in Houston with BOB and Easterby. Same with Rodgers and Wilson the last few years and now in Cincy with Burrow. I got to witness that up close yesterday. Watch how bad GB is next year without A-aron and Adams. Y'all have some nice WRs, a great but injury prone RB and a much improved defense over where it was 2 years ago. You are a playoff team with Watson, though probably not a SB contender yet.

Why doesn’t Rhule want Watson? Doesn’t want to have to deal with all the holes that will be created by the loss of draft picks?

Probably has something to do with being accused of sexually assaulting almost two dozen women, but I'm just spitballing.

man I don't give a shit about what some PI paid to tell the owner what he wants to hear has to say

Probably has something to do with being accused of sexually assaulting almost two dozen women, but I'm just spitballing.

I considered that too, but it seemed like it was presented as not wanting him for football/roster reasons. I don’t know Rhule’s character but I’m guessing for the sake of his own job security he would want the best QB available if he didn’t have to give too much up - even if many of us find it morally problematic.

I'd bet a decent sum of money Rhule's objection to Watson is not based upon morals.

I'm not passing judgment on whether Watson should be able to play or not.

man I don't give a shit about what some PI paid to tell the owner what he wants to hear has to say

Omg. He’s a very well respected and well known attorney based in Houston. And his proximity (very close friends and often partners) to the attorney representing Watson was also key. If anyone wants to PM me I will try to get a little more specific.

There will be plenty of detractors to a Watson move. But it’s quite possible there’s not as much fire with the smoke as the media has covered it. And I think Tepper will make the right decision on it. Some will be pissed if they make the move no doubt. But you might just hold judgement until all the info arrives.

He's 1 of the top 5 QBs in the league. Period. I'd guess he's ready to ball out given what has happened in Houston. I just don't think he's gonna play this year because the league ain't letting him on the field until the criminal investigation is completed. Not a good situation for the rest of the team to play the year out with Watson just sitting there. Then again, the last few weeks are not a good situation.

Guitar, why the heck don't Rhule and Fitterer want Watson? Bridgewater and Darnold suck, and they didn't opt for 1 of this year's 5 rookie QBs - a much better pool to choose from than next year's 1st round - maybe Corral and Willis?. What other choices do they have? Like Watson, Rodgers will have a lot to say about where he gets traded, and I think he'd certainly want Den, SF, NO or Cle over y'all. Wilson could be on the market, and Jimmy G will definitely be, but he's an oft injured middle of the road QB.

There is no way he is a top-5 QB, even without the off the field drama. Mahomes, Rodgers, Herbert, Brady, Wilson, Murray, and Lamar are all clearly ahead of him. And guys like Burrow, Dak, and Stafford are arguably better as well. It makes no sense to give away that many high picks for a QB somewhere in the 8-12 range. Add the legal stuff on top of it and it would be a really bad move. And I think he is probably Kraft-style innocent, for whatever it is worth.

I considered that too, but it seemed like it was presented as not wanting him for football/roster reasons. I don’t know Rhule’s character but I’m guessing for the sake of his own job security he would want the best QB available if he didn’t have to give too much up - even if many of us find it morally problematic.

Fair enough. You're likely right, in this regard.

Full disclosure, yesterday was only the second Panthers game I (a Giants fan) have watched this season. I cannot overstate how much ass the Giants suck. Putting aside the fact that Watson is probably a serial predator, I would not be thrilled if I was a Panthers fan. This team is way more than a quarterback away from making the playoffs. They would be objectively better with Watson and a CMC that can play a full season, but that offensive line? Sheesh.

the offensive line has been a trainwreck for years, and they have not addressed it in 2 drafts under the Rhule era and certainly couldn't really with whatever they'd need to give up for Watson.

Is Tepper considering the NFL/Goodell’s take on Watson? Meaning if the Panthers did pull this trigger on this mid season they can’t really expect Watson to play…..NFL won’t let that happen

Back