• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

You think all the racist rubes that were happy to see him run out of town would have a change of heart?

I guess I’m naive. I sure hope that’s not true. I’ve never see or heard it but I guess there are some in reality. That just pisses me off. So fucking stupid.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/st...2-rosters-speed-stacks-why-crucial-today-game

The Carolina Panthers are sitting on a four-game losing streak, but there's long-term hope in Carolina with a new owner, hedge fund manager David Tepper, hand-picking coach Matt Rhule and general manager Scott Fitterer in back-to-back years. The rebuild will take time, but the brain trust is working fast, thinking fast -- and prioritizing fast.

Carolina ranks first overall in the NFL in team speed with 9.62 yards covered per second, first in wide receiver speed (10.23 yards per second) and second at two other positions (defensive back and tight end).

No one knows the team's love of speed better than Evan Cooper, the Panthers' cornerbacks coach who also has a broader role: director of player evaluation. His job, in part, is to be an extension of Rhule.

"I learned very quickly he has a type," said Cooper, who was with Rhule at Temple and Baylor. "As long as I work for him, we share a type."

Rhule loves all the things most coaches love, including grit, hard work, poise and good character. But he also believes in the NFL truism that you can't teach height, weight, speed. That means Cooper spends countless hours looking for sneaky-fast gems. Fast players come into camp with a "little extra," and even if they don't play fast, their preparation and coaching should help them get there.

"We go all the way back to high-school track times," Cooper said. "We'll do all the legwork, check out GPS numbers. Some guys, it's pretty obvious, they are fast on tape. You don't need see a 40 from [Ravens receiver] Hollywood Brown to know he's fast. But we try to balance our eye and what the tape says and what's the numbers say and use as many clues as we can."

In fact, double-checking high-school triple-jump scores helped the Panthers feel good about signing defensive back Myles Hartsfield, an undrafted free agent out of Ole Miss who became Carolina's slot corner before injury. Hartsfield ran in the 4.4s but only had a Pro Day time, which some NFL teams consider unofficial.

The new regime acquired speedster receiver DJ Moore (the NFL's fourth-fastest player at an average of 10.43 yards per second), but recent WR additions Robby Anderson and Terrace Marshall Jr. both recorded unofficial sub-4.4 40s out of college. Safety Jeremy Chinn, at 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds, is currently the league's 11th-fastest player at 10.33 yards per second. And he's in the same secondary as corner Donte Jackson, who has "drop-on-a-dime" speed, Cooper said.

While the Panthers try to turn speed into wins, a team that (usually) wins often is trying to find more speed.

1. Carolina Panthers
Overall average yards per second: 9.62
Offense rank: No. 2 (9.57)
Defense rank: No. 4 (9.68)
Fastest unit relative to NFL: WR (No. 1, 10.23)
Slowest unit relative to NFL: RB (No. 31, 8.75)
Team speedster: DJ Moore, WR (10.43)

Someone just paid 250.00 each on NFLTE for my Patriots tickets and now I’m convinced Cam or Watson will be our QB in a few weeks. Who would pay that without big brained knowledge that change is coming?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/st...2-rosters-speed-stacks-why-crucial-today-game

The Carolina Panthers are sitting on a four-game losing streak, but there's long-term hope in Carolina with a new owner, hedge fund manager David Tepper, hand-picking coach Matt Rhule and general manager Scott Fitterer in back-to-back years. The rebuild will take time, but the brain trust is working fast, thinking fast -- and prioritizing fast.

Carolina ranks first overall in the NFL in team speed with 9.62 yards covered per second, first in wide receiver speed (10.23 yards per second) and second at two other positions (defensive back and tight end).

No one knows the team's love of speed better than Evan Cooper, the Panthers' cornerbacks coach who also has a broader role: director of player evaluation. His job, in part, is to be an extension of Rhule.

"I learned very quickly he has a type," said Cooper, who was with Rhule at Temple and Baylor. "As long as I work for him, we share a type."

Rhule loves all the things most coaches love, including grit, hard work, poise and good character. But he also believes in the NFL truism that you can't teach height, weight, speed. That means Cooper spends countless hours looking for sneaky-fast gems. Fast players come into camp with a "little extra," and even if they don't play fast, their preparation and coaching should help them get there.

"We go all the way back to high-school track times," Cooper said. "We'll do all the legwork, check out GPS numbers. Some guys, it's pretty obvious, they are fast on tape. You don't need see a 40 from [Ravens receiver] Hollywood Brown to know he's fast. But we try to balance our eye and what the tape says and what's the numbers say and use as many clues as we can."

In fact, double-checking high-school triple-jump scores helped the Panthers feel good about signing defensive back Myles Hartsfield, an undrafted free agent out of Ole Miss who became Carolina's slot corner before injury. Hartsfield ran in the 4.4s but only had a Pro Day time, which some NFL teams consider unofficial.

The new regime acquired speedster receiver DJ Moore (the NFL's fourth-fastest player at an average of 10.43 yards per second), but recent WR additions Robby Anderson and Terrace Marshall Jr. both recorded unofficial sub-4.4 40s out of college. Safety Jeremy Chinn, at 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds, is currently the league's 11th-fastest player at 10.33 yards per second. And he's in the same secondary as corner Donte Jackson, who has "drop-on-a-dime" speed, Cooper said.

While the Panthers try to turn speed into wins, a team that (usually) wins often is trying to find more speed.

Great so Tepper is hedge-fund Al Davis.

Exact same thought, with the 7th pick in the draft your Carolina Panthers select Darrius Heyward-Bey Jr.

Someone just paid 250.00 each on NFLTE for my Patriots tickets and now I’m convinced Cam or Watson will be our QB in a few weeks. Who would pay that without big brained knowledge that change is coming?

Um, a Patriots fan? They only come to Charlotte once every 8 years.

^^^ wrong. It's been funny watching this stuff and these incorrect reports. That guy (no clue who he is) doesn't know what he's talking about.

Joe Person at the Athletic reporting it, too. So either it's a hell of a smokescreen, or it's accurate.

^^^ wrong. It's been funny watching this stuff and these incorrect reports. That guy (no clue who he is) doesn't know what he's talking about.

Ian Rapoport too. Would it be as funny if you’re the one with the incorrect reports, and had no clue what you were talking about?

These reporters all seem to have gotten word this morning. guitar, have you heard differently from your sources this morning?

Back