• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

I have a tough time justifying trading down from a top 10 pick because you can get a transformative player at that spot. This is the list of top 10 picks in franchise history.

Derrick Brown
Christian McCaffrey
Luke Kuechly
Cam Newton
Jordan Gross
Julius Peppers
Tim Biakabutuka
Kerry Collins

Obviously, the first two picks weren't that great and we'll see on Brown. The others are all time greats. I get that these guys may think they can drop down and get two Chinns, but I don't think it's worth the risk.

I have a tough time justifying trading down from a top 10 pick because you can get a transformative player at that spot. This is the list of top 10 picks in franchise history.

Derrick Brown
Christian McCaffrey
Luke Kuechly
Cam Newton
Jordan Gross
Julius Peppers
Tim Biakabutuka
Kerry Collins

Obviously, the first two picks weren't that great and we'll see on Brown. The others are all time greats. I get that these guys may think they can drop down and get two Chinns, but I don't think it's worth the risk.

Yeah, but they made NFL Blitz more fun.

Any idea who the Patriots would be targeting at 8?

It makes sense that Carolina is the likely trading partner for NE because it's 1 before Denver. I'm willing to bet that Belichick is interested in any of the #3-5 QBs. The most likely to be there is Lance, and he's the 1 that probably needs to sit for a year anyway. And it's not like you'd have to change the offense you adapted for Cam because their skill set is similar.

I still hope that Sewell is there at 8 and we can get Denver to pay us to come up one spot and not let the Pats in. Obviously a pipe dream

I still hope that Sewell is there at 8 and we can get Denver to pay us to come up one spot and not let the Pats in. Obviously a pipe dream

Not a pipe dream. Hoping to get Pitts at 8 is the pipe dream. All you likely need to get Sewell to fall to 8 is for Pitts to fall to Cincy or for Cincy to trade back to a team going for a QB. Though maybe Detroit nabs Sewell - they need everything, though I think it's likelier they take a Bama WR after losing their guy to NYG.

These mocks are just getting dumber and dumber. I need to step away until next Thursday.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-mock-draft-2021-mike-tanier-final/

8. TRADE! New Orleans Saints: Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State
Taysom Hill’s magic love potion wears off, and Sean Payton awakes as if from a terrible dream. Drew Brees is gone! The Saints are deep in a cap quagmire! They’re keeping an aging roster intact because they can’t afford to release many of their veterans and start rebuilding! He’s spent two years pumping up a glorified tight end instead of grooming/rehabilitating Teddy Bridgewater or Jameis Winston!

Seeing Fields slide and knowing that the Panthers are set at quarterback with Bridgewater and new arrival Sam Darnold, Payton bundles his 2021 and 2022 first-rounders, some change, and ships them to the Panthers.

Payton’s knick-of-time decision turns out to be the right move. Justin Fields develops rapidly behind a veteran line while throwing to Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara. He makes throws Brees could no longer make while starting his career operating within a structure that was childproofed for Hill. The Saints are short on draft picks, but it’s a lot easier to work around the loss of a first-round pick than the absence of a franchise quarterback.

These mocks are just getting dumber and dumber. I need to step away until next Thursday.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-mock-draft-2021-mike-tanier-final/

8. TRADE! New Orleans Saints: Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State
Taysom Hill’s magic love potion wears off, and Sean Payton awakes as if from a terrible dream. Drew Brees is gone! The Saints are deep in a cap quagmire! They’re keeping an aging roster intact because they can’t afford to release many of their veterans and start rebuilding! He’s spent two years pumping up a glorified tight end instead of grooming/rehabilitating Teddy Bridgewater or Jameis Winston!

Seeing Fields slide and knowing that the Panthers are set at quarterback with Bridgewater and new arrival Sam Darnold, Payton bundles his 2021 and 2022 first-rounders, some change, and ships them to the Panthers.

Payton’s knick-of-time decision turns out to be the right move. Justin Fields develops rapidly behind a veteran line while throwing to Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara. He makes throws Brees could no longer make while starting his career operating within a structure that was childproofed for Hill. The Saints are short on draft picks, but it’s a lot easier to work around the loss of a first-round pick than the absence of a franchise quarterback.

Whoever put that together should be fired. Zero chance we trade with the saint to let them take a QB.

That looks like the work of Charlie Casserly. When it comes to a team late in the 1st taking a QB, I see it as more likely that either NO or TB takes Davis Mills at the end of round 1. But I think NO is wiser to team build in the draft and see what they have in Jameis. If he doesn't work out, you probably pick in the 1st half of the 1st next year, with some combination of Rodgers/Love, Watson, Wilson and Garropolo available in a trade.

EzdDenEWUAEYYW6

Official 2021 Carolina Panthers - Our QB Sam Darnold

“Since their inception, the Ravens have pulled off first-round trades in just seven of 24 drafts (29.17%). In total, Baltimore has made 10 separate trades involving the first round over that time frame, including three in the 2018 NFL Draft and two in 2008. Of those 10 trades, four involved the Ravens moving back; six involved moving up or trading back into the first round for a specific player they wanted.

This breakdown actually defies the notion Baltimore typically moves back in the first round. However, with three of the Ravens’ trades up involving quarterbacks, it paints a pretty clear picture of what Baltimore values enough to warrant packaging valuable picks for a player.”

https://ravenswire.usatoday.com/202...staying-still-in-1st-round-of-2020-nfl-draft/

By talking about comp picks, it seems like DeCosta is talking about Day 2 and mostly Day 3 trades which is what I was talking about before.

Do you have a link to the article?

Thanks Ph for posting the memory lane pick of Kyle Boller. I've never seen a QB throw a better seam route to the safety. He was also a pretty good blocking QB.

That draft was interesting. We had wanted Leftwich, who also was a failure as a starter, but the Jags took him. We then hopped Minnesota, who was slow getting their pick in, and took T Sizzle. That was the good. Then we traded back up for Boller, who was inaccurate at Cal but had a rocket arm (and was good looking but not the sharpest tool in the shed). Billick fell in love with him, but my recollection was some of the personnel guys didn't like him. Those were some SB caliber defenses, but Boller held us back. And actually, the draft pick that I regretted following that 1st SB was taking Todd Heap at 32. Great TE, but Drew Brees went to SD with the next pick.

This is probably the closest to what I think is going to happen:

https://www.nfl.com/news/seven-round-2021-nfl-mock-draft-round-1-broncos-bears-trade-up-for-qbs

It's not very exciting for us in the short term, but if we can get the Bears first rounder next year, it's what we should do. If that's how the board above us falls, I don't think reaching for Slater would be the right call assuming a trade like this is available. Trading back and still being able to get Darrisaw, Farley or Horn would be the best case scenario.

Last edited:
This is probably the closest to what I think is going to happen:

https://www.nfl.com/news/seven-round-2021-nfl-mock-draft-round-1-broncos-bears-trade-up-for-qbs

It's not very exciting for us in the short term, but if we can get the Bears first rounder next year, it's what we should do. If that's how the board above us falls, I don't think reaching for Slater would be the right call assuming a trade like this is available. Trading back and still being able to get Darrisaw, Farley or Horn would be the best case scenario.

I like that for you guys - trade back and get a CB/OT plus a 1st next year. Don't like what they had my Ravens doing post Brown trade. We ain't taking a WR, and I don't liike Leatherwood. I think we take an edge like Phillips or Ojulari and trade back at 31. But I do like the haul we got for Brown.

Doesn’t make sense to trade down to get a pick next year when we traded for what could be a one year rental QB. Just take a LT and see what Darnold can do.

Doesn’t make sense to trade down to get a pick next year when we traded for what could be a one year rental QB. Just take a LT and see what Darnold can do.

Having 2 1s in what should be a better draft is worth it, especially if Cincy takes Sewell. And in the 15-20 area you'll be able to still get a T or CB. Is Slater >>> a Darrisaw, Vera-Tucker, Horn or Farley + a 1? I say no. As for Darnold, we've seen what he can do. He can see ghosts whether it's Slater or Darrisaw at LT when he encounters strong Ds.

1. Jags - Lawrence
2. Jets - Wilson
3. 49ers - Fields/Jones/Lance
4. Falcons - Pitts
5. Bengals - Sewell/Chase
6. Dolphins - Chase/Waddle
7. Lions - ???
8. Panthers - ???

Back