• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

Sure. I totally get it. But I'll say again, Watson will be punished in some way. He will have a redemption tour. And he will have another 10+ years as a top QB in this league. Do we want that to be with the Panthers or some other franchise?

Fly, Deshaun, fly!

Someone compile all the we are ok with his accusations because those takes are going to reversed so hard if he goes to a different team.

I don't think anybody is OK with it. It's just the reality that he's going to be one of the best QBs in this league going forward.

As you all know, I've been saying for weeks that the Panthers - especially Tepper - still desperately want Watson. Most of what is posted on the last couple of pages is right. Its out of character for Watson but it's probably somewhat accurate. Dabo called Tepper directly to give him a glowing review of the person Deshaun is. Unsolicited. It was not a returned phone call - he called Tepper on behalf of Watson. Tepper and Rhule etc believe that Watson is a really good guy who - like many - messed up to put it too succinctly. They believe that he will not be punished too severely in the end and that he will have many years of good football left and will be a pillar of the community. Tepper wants him and want him BADLY.

I would lean towards the Panthers ending up with him, personally. I definitely do not think the Panthers see Darnold as the future. The exact words to me were "We like him but we are not giving him the keys to the kingdom". If he plays great here or anywhere else that's great, but Tepper wants a top 5 at worst NFL QB and one way or the other he will get that and soon. Whetehr its this year or next. If Darnold can be that, then they lucked out. They are NOT betting on that though. They want a sure thing. Which is why they never even considered drafting a QB.

Glad to hear they don't see Darnold as the future. Guitar, what time frame do you think they're looking at with Watson, this offseason or next offseason? The unusual radio silence from Buzbee suggests to me that the 2 sides are talking and may be working on a settlement, which I would think would be sealed. A sealed settlement with no criminal charges would make him tradable right away.

I'm still willing to bet there was some information exchanged between the Texans and Buzbee. But then when it mushroomed from 3-4 cases to 23, that made him temporarily untradable and in the end probably reduced his trade value. We'll probably never find out the truth in any of this, but it would be risible if it ended up that the Texans engaged in self-pwning.

Tepper and crew simply replaced Teddy with Darnold for the last two years of the contract. When you put the Darnold trade, Teddy trade, and draft trade downs together, that's what happened. And the money isn't too far off, maybe a few million more devoted to the QB position now than before due to having to pay some of Teddy's Denver salary.

So it makes sense that the plan over the next two years is to get a true franchise QB, but that's hard to get without doing it through the draft and being patient.

So if Darnold is good, he improves his trade value for a better quarterback.
If Darnold sucks, we pick early again in the draft....for a QB....or trade the pick in a bundle for a franchise QB.

Man, it would be a pretty tough break for Darnold to ultimately go from the Jets to the Texans. Why not just throw him Jacksonville next.

So if Darnold is good, he improves his trade value for a better quarterback.
If Darnold sucks, we pick early again in the draft....for a QB....or trade the pick in a bundle for a franchise QB.

Exactly.

Now I should say that it's quite possible Darnold isn't any better than Teddy, but if Darnold plays well he'd have higher trade value than if Teddy played well. I guess that's obvious because Teddy had a better season than Darnold and we gave up more for Darnold than we got for Teddy.

Again, the Panthers are NOT going to draft a QB to be their guy. It would have to be a cant miss stud like Laurence. Other than that - which happens every 5-10 years - they are NOT drafting a QB in the first round. Tepper, Rhule, Fitt etc just don' think thats the way to do it - too risky. Tepper wants a top 5 QB NOW - not just draft a QB and cross fingers he will be that level of a player. With a QB coming out of college, you just don't know and it sets you back more years if he's not a total stud. The plan is to trade for a a stud QB or somehow acquire one. Watson is the guy right now they have ben focused on. Its going to have to be someone like that.

As I have said before, Tepper believes you get the best however you can to be the most important member of your business. Same thing with Appaloosa. Tepper says that guy has to be great - period. And a top 5 QB is worth virtually any price you have to pay to get him. The Qb must be a sure thing. Tepper "I'm not sitting in that suite and looking down at that field and watching the other team have a top 5 QB and we don't." That's their/his philosophy and i can't imagine that will change. There were at least 4 QBs in this 2021 draft that many teams project as really good players in the NFL. And when I say the Panthers weren't going to draft one, I mean they didn't even CONSIDER it. At ANY point. It literally was not even a consideration in the slightest - EVER. And that wasnt because they thought they had the QB they needed.

With that philosophy in mind did they make any sort of run at Brady? Are they trying to talk to Green Bay about Rodgers?

I mean I understand wanting a sure thing, but that feels like a weird strategy to insist on. How many great NFL QBs played for a team other than the one that drafted them during their prime? The only one I can think of in the past twenty years is Drew Brees getting drafted by the Chargers and playing mostly for the Saints.

The situation with Watson may allow for that to happen I guess, although I'd imagine that a large portion of the fanbase would not like trading for him. I guess they've calculated that the storm would blow over quickly enough after the trade.

Yeah. You've said that before, guitar, but the reality of the NFL is your best situation is having a good QB on a rookie deal. Steelers with Big Ben. Seahawks with Russ. Chiefs with Mahomes. Plenty of examples. And Top 5 QBs just don't come available that often. If Darnold sucks and Watson goes elsewhere, the Panthers may have to bite the bullet and take a QB and give him a shot.

By the way, Tepper bought into the Steelers near the end of Big Ben's rookie deal. Tepper was also there when deciding to stick with him through multiple sexual assault accusations. Tepper has been here before.

Also it feels like the trend that allows for winning recently has been having a great QB on a rookie deal, with Tom Brady being a notable exception to that

With that philosophy in mind did they make any sort of run at Brady? Are they trying to talk to Green Bay about Rodgers?

Right, my question too. If this is their philosophy, and Watson happened to be happy in Houston as well as not having any of his legal issues, what would be the Panthers’ plan? Just trying to turn Darnold into a star while waiting around for some reason that a top five qb decided he wanted a change? Could be a long wait marked by multiple seasons of mediocrity.

While it's nice to have the philosophy that you're only going to want to have a top 5 QB, it's pretty darn rare that a Watson or Rodgers is available via a trade. That almost never happens, and it's only happening now because Houston's front office is historically inept (worse than Millen level inept) and because Gutekunst completely effed up the Rodgers situation in every way he could.

Also it feels like the trend that allows for winning recently has been having a great QB on a rookie deal, with Tom Brady being a notable exception to that

I think this is exaggerated because it's such a great formula if you can get away with it.

I think this is exaggerated because it's such a great formula if you can get away with it.

I mean there’s definitely going to be exceptions, but a team paying Patrick Mahomes or Lamar Jackson $15 million or whatever a year has a hell of a lot more money to spend improving the rest of the team than a team that is paying Aaron Rodgers $33 million a year

i dont buy the panthers are hell bent on a top 5 QB. again we tried to trade #8 for stafford. that's a considerable asset, we wouldn't do that for a 2 year rental, and stafford most definitely isnt a top 5 qb.

Back