• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Fitness / Weight-Loss Accountability Thread - BACK FOR 2024!

I am trying to train my 11 yo son. I know that you are generally supposed to avoid weights at his age. We have mostly been doing body weight stuff, push-ups, pull-ups, lunges, box step ups, etc. But I’m wondering if i can incorporate some light dumbbell work, provided that we would stick to lighter weights and higher reps. Any advice?

I am trying to train my 11 yo son. I know that you are generally supposed to avoid weights at his age. We have mostly been doing body weight stuff, push-ups, pull-ups, lunges, box step ups, etc. But I’m wondering if i can incorporate some light dumbbell work, provided that we would stick to lighter weights and higher reps. Any advice?
What ever you do, make sure he gets his creatine !

I don't have a problem with kids lifting at 11yo... But yeah, I wouldn't be going heavy. So I like the higher rep strategy.

I don't have a problem with kids lifting at 11yo... But yeah, I wouldn't be going heavy. So I like the higher rep strategy.
Agreed. Stepson started working out with light weights around that age and working out has become a lifestyle for him. Starting early is great IMO

I mean…100 yrs ago no one was worried about an 11 yr old bailing hay.

Well, we... ordered a Tonal. :couch:.

And yes, it's going next to the Peloton. God help us.

Well, we... ordered a Tonal. :couch:.

And yes, it's going next to the Peloton. God help us.
As someone who has ridden close to 4k minutes on the Peloton this year so far, this is my dream setup. Very interested to hear your feedback on the Tonal (installation process, how it compares to lifting regular weights etc.)

As someone who has ridden close to 4k minutes on the Peloton this year so far, this is my dream setup. Very interested to hear your feedback on the Tonal (installation process, how it compares to lifting regular weights etc.)
Yeah the Peloton was like the gateway drug - I just hit 700 rides, doc was like yeah that's great but back off it and do more strength training. I have a bad lower back (and play a lot of golf) and it does seem like the Tonal is really good for both. It was actually the wife who pushed hardest for it. I have adjustable weights and do a lot of the Intervals and Arms rides (just with heavier weights) but the last time I really screwed up my back was moving weights around (not actually while lifting, and I was being careful) so the button engagement for Tonal is pretty compelling. It'll be a few weeks before the install happens but I'll post feedback once it's rolling.

This week, I retired a pair of size 40 jeans I’ve probably worn probably 3-4 times a week for several years. I started wearing size 38 jeans I bought awhile back but never wore. It’s a good feeling.
I've been between large/x-large shirts for awhile. Now I'm down to a large. I tried on a large t-shirt I bought a few years ago and never wore because it was too tight and it fits perfectly now.

Even better, the ladies are noticing. There's a nice couple who runs a food truck in the area. TTwo weeks ago, I went to their truck and noticed the wife had on a new t-shirt with the initials of their truck in the old WCW nWo style. I noticed the shirt and the husband said, "We'll get you one. What size are you? XL or XXL?" The wife immediately looked at him like he was crazy and said, "He's a Large!" Then she turned to me, smiled, and pointed at me up and down and said, "As soon as I saw this, I knew he's a large."

I've been between large/x-large shirts for awhile. Now I'm down to a large. I tried on a large t-shirt I bought a few years ago and never wore because it was too tight and it fits perfectly now.

Even better, the ladies are noticing. There's a nice couple who runs a food truck in the area. TTwo weeks ago, I went to their truck and noticed the wife had on a new t-shirt with the initials of their truck in the old WCW nWo style. I noticed the shirt and the husband said, "We'll get you one. What size are you? XL or XXL?" The wife immediately looked at him like he was crazy and said, "He's a Large!" Then she turned to me, smiled, and pointed at me up and down and said, "As soon as I saw this, I knew he's a large."

You, uh, sure that the shirt sizing was the main takeaway from that interaction?

Are hip thrusts super gay? (Not that there is anything wrong with that) I just pretty much only see chicks with dump truck asses doing them, and i feel self conscious doing them. “Hey everyone, I’m trying to grow these glutes!”

Are hip thrusts super gay? (Not that there is anything wrong with that) I just pretty much only see chicks with dump truck asses doing them, and i feel self conscious doing them. “Hey everyone, I’m trying to grow these glutes!”
no comment on the sexuality of hip thrusts, but why would you do those instead of RDLs, working the same muscle groups with a wider range of motion?

I do RDLs some days. I guess i thought RDLs more directly targeted hamstrings than glutes. At least that’s where i feel it more.

Back