• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Republican Coup (Practice Run)

So I missed yesterday since I was on a plane, but the big surprise witness revelation was hearsay that trump is a petulant asshole?

So I missed yesterday since I was on a plane, but the big surprise witness revelation was hearsay that trump is a petulant asshole?

the argument is

he knew about what oathkeepers and proud boys were up to that day
he knew why the crowd was there with weapons.
called them to action knowingly. - I'll lead you to the capital, mike pence bad, etc
he tried to get the secret service to remove metal detectors
he tried to force the secret service to take him to the capital to look triumphant/strong/?? (trump's next term absolutely involves new secret service branding to "SS")
and to your point the final one... after the only piece of the plan that went wrong was trump NOT making it to the capital he was furious and behaving like the tiny tyrant that he is. her testimony was also that that behavior was not unusual. seems he routinely treated the "lowest" of the people working in the white house pretty shitty through his tirades and petulance.

the argument is

he knew about what oathkeepers and proud boys were up to that day
he knew why the crowd was there with weapons.
called them to action knowingly. - I'll lead you to the capital, mike pence bad, etc
he tried to get the secret service to remove metal detectors
he tried to force the secret service to take him to the capital to look triumphant/strong/?? (trump's next term absolutely involves new secret service branding to "SS")
and to your point the final one... after the only piece of the plan that went wrong was trump NOT making it to the capital he was furious and behaving like the tiny tyrant that he is. her testimony was also that that behavior was not unusual. seems he routinely treated the "lowest" of the people working in the white house pretty shitty through his tirades and petulance.

And the term "hearsay" is being thrown around in ways it should not be.

And the term "hearsay" is being thrown around in ways it should not be.

So saying a specific person told you something is not considered "hearsay?"

oh, the final point made by cheney was that the administration is currently engaging in efforts to intimidate witnesses despite having already received testimony from 1k+ (I think that's what I heard). the "only the best people braintrust" OTBPBT think staying quiet absolves them if they don't actually admit wrongdoing.

i guess one of the big takeaways for me from the last few years is 'Mericans don't trust people that believe in civil service. it breaks their brain thinking that anyone would do something for someone else first.
they then "rightly" assume that they can't be up to any good. they have got to be grifting.

its like the republican military industrial complex. defense spending is wildly out of control and has been for decades. remember those stories about $500 hammers? republicans blamed that on government bloat, tied that to democrats for <checks notes> forever and ever and always and then kept funneling money into the defense department. in order to do that we have to cut democRAT spending!! social help programs go first. again, can't possibly be trusted if you want to help people first rather than "get yours."

So saying a specific person told you something is not considered "hearsay?"

Not necessarily. I'm not going to write a law school essay about hearsay, but there are plenty of explanations out there for why the GOP's talking point that this was all "hearsay" is legally incorrect.

The bigger picture is that she testified, under oath and subjecting herself to perjury charges for lying, about what she heard and what she was told. This isn't a criminal trial where lawyers are arguing over admissibility.

Not necessarily. I'm not going to write a law school essay about hearsay, but there are plenty of explanations out there for why the GOP's talking point that this was all "hearsay" is legally incorrect.

The bigger picture is that she testified, under oath and subjecting herself to perjury charges for lying, about what she heard and what she was told. This isn't a criminal trial where lawyers are arguing over admissibility.

I was waiting for Matt Gaetz to run in yell that he objects on behalf of America.

I was waiting for Matt Gaetz to run in yell that he objects on behalf of America.

That's funny.

Not to change the subject, but guys like Gaetz make it really easy to have no respect for the maga crowd. He's the kind of guy you know is absolutely trashing his base in private and then campaigning "in character" by saying all the stupid shit he knows that they'll eat up. It's hard to have respect for people who are that gullible.

I keep having this bad feeling that Meadows is going to end up taking the fall for Trump. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see his perp walk. But he's being staged as the obvious second choice and DOJ will end up choking on indicting Trump.

this is a big risk and likely possibility. though if mitch can engineer a formerly supreme court super majority of shitty and unqualified justices he may be able to find a way to jettison both and sign on to a more insidious national candidate in a few years. youngkin would probably be a great candidate (even more than desantes) for this. desantes is still the "he's trumpy but not trump" if they need that. otherwise youngkin is the "i'm equally disgusting and dishonest but my sleeveless fleece makes you comfortable while i plan in secret."

That's funny.

Not to change the subject, but guys like Gaetz make it really easy to have no respect for the maga crowd. He's the kind of guy you know is absolutely trashing his base in private and then campaigning "in character" by saying all the stupid shit he knows that they'll eat up. It's hard to have respect for people who are that gullible.

Also, the person he's complaining to in private might not be old enough to vote.

oh, the final point made by cheney was that the administration is currently engaging in efforts to intimidate witnesses despite having already received testimony from 1k+ (I think that's what I heard). the "only the best people braintrust" OTBPBT think staying quiet absolves them if they don't actually admit wrongdoing.

i guess one of the big takeaways for me from the last few years is 'Mericans don't trust people that believe in civil service. it breaks their brain thinking that anyone would do something for someone else first.
they then "rightly" assume that they can't be up to any good. they have got to be grifting.

its like the republican military industrial complex. defense spending is wildly out of control and has been for decades. remember those stories about $500 hammers? republicans blamed that on government bloat, tied that to democrats for <checks notes> forever and ever and always and then kept funneling money into the defense department. in order to do that we have to cut democRAT spending!! social help programs go first. again, can't possibly be trusted if you want to help people first rather than "get yours."

Staying quiet worked for them during Mueller.

I agree that Americans don't trust people who don't do it for the money, but they also don't want to pay them more.

Gotcha.

'Merican' capitalism. they each want to be paid more themselves. they just don't want anyone else to get paid more. not getting paid more (health, safety, protections) today is just the cost of owning the libs today. they'll get theirs tomorrow... right?

I think Garland would have more trouble explaining why Trump was not indicted, rather than the reverse.

'Merican' capitalism. they each want to be paid more themselves. they just don't want anyone else to get paid more. not getting paid more (health, safety, protections) today is just the cost of owning the libs today. they'll get theirs tomorrow... right?

I think you're touching on their mindset regarding who qualifies as the "real Americans."

Back