• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Republican Coup (Practice Run)

I think that, aside from death, the worst part of being in the Military is the greater than 50% chance your wife is banging a bunch of dudes back at the house you pay the mortgage on.

i mean ... the meme is bad

there's an enormous cultural superstructure supporting a soldier's complete investment in the military persona -- the meme ignores that to lay the blame on individual soldiers -- tough to think of what you do as just a job when there are military discounts at most places and people salute you at sporting events and you get to board a plane first and and and and

attack the structure, not the individual

I think that, aside from death, the worst part of being in the Military is the greater than 50% chance your wife is banging a bunch of dudes back at the house you pay the mortgage on.

The number of guys in my brother’s unit that came back to empty house and empty bank accounts was staggering. All their pay they earned while in Afghanistan gone.

neither have the overwhelming majority of the people in the military

And you don't have to have either to be psychologically impacted for life.

The fact that you are a keyboard warrior doesn't really give you any special insight here, sorry.

I mean sure it can and should be part of your identity, doesn't mean you should continue to dress the part and, in some cases, act out things you did during your days in the service

The fact that you are a keyboard warrior doesn't really give you any special insight here, sorry.

fortunately for us and our limited hero worshiping time only cops, firefighters and "veterans" have life experiences that impart psychological impacts for life

The number of guys in my brother’s unit that came back to empty house and empty bank accounts was staggering. All their pay they earned while in Afghanistan gone.

Oof...That's brutal. I couldn't imagine how pissed off I'd be and how I would react. But it would be ugly.

i love the idea that my cousin-in law served 4 years in japan and now works on a forklift in a depot a few miles away and drives around like he's GI Joe. On the other side, my MIL worked for the state handling child abuse cases for 30 years, interviewing kids and visiting the shitholes they lived in and no one gives a shit.

Being proud of your military service is not a substitute for personality or identity. The American cultural hyper-reverence for military service is as a political propaganda tool.

Did you know that our military was irreparably ruined during the Obama years and trump came in an fixed it overnight? A truly remarkable accomplishment!

Her superhero origin story. I dig it.

i mean ... the meme is bad

there's an enormous cultural superstructure supporting a soldier's complete investment in the military persona -- the meme ignores that to lay the blame on individual soldiers -- tough to think of what you do as just a job when there are military discounts at most places and people salute you at sporting events and you get to board a plane first and and and and

attack the structure, not the individual

Military discounts? The cultural impact is to ignore how shitty the rank and file soldiers are treated. Crowdsourcing back home for tennis shoes to wear off duty in a war zone. Family buying your own protective equipment. Poor pay. Poor support after endless deployments (think mental health care etc). Knowing your young family is home and going to food banks.
Not hard to understand how people in that situation become radicalized. Fostering an us against them "brotherhood" through shared experiences.

this was true going back to when i was in the military in the 90s. it's a sad thing but people get lonely and men in the military (from my experience) just don't care if they are married. as long as the husband is away it is fair game.

honestly, military bases and the surrounding is a rather morally dejected area. mostly strip clubs, liquor stores and bars.

I’ve never had any jobs where I watched my friends get killed or that caused life changing physical damage.

Speak for yourself. Those Tuesday morning USF sociology department meetings from 10:15am - 10:30am discussing the latest memes posted by Ph's friends on Facebook are real blood baths.

Military discounts? The cultural impact is to ignore how shitty the rank and file soldiers are treated. Crowdsourcing back home for tennis shoes to wear off duty in a war zone. Family buying your own protective equipment. Poor pay. Poor support after endless deployments (think mental health care etc). Knowing your young family is home and going to food banks.
Not hard to understand how people in that situation become radicalized. Fostering an us against them "brotherhood" through shared experiences.

I don't disagree. I guess I was listing the lighter parts of the superstructure. All that stuff is what the meme ignores to browbeat soldiers who hyper-invest in a military identity instead of considering how the structure incentivizes this behavior through both reward and suffering.

I don't disagree. I guess I was listing the lighter parts of the superstructure. All that stuff is what the meme ignores to browbeat soldiers who hyper-invest in a military identity instead of considering how the structure incentivizes this behavior through both reward and suffering.

yeah, usually memes are really good at nuance

yeah, usually memes are really good at nuance

no shit. nobody presented the nuance. looked like several posters were actually using the lack of nuance as a jumping off point to bypass the structure and go after specific people like the meme intended lol.

Ex-Houston police officer claimed he only breached the Capitol during riots to see ‘historical art’

When federal agents asked Houston police Officer Tam Dinh Pham why he was in Washington during the pro-Trump riot at the U.S. Capitol earlier this month, he said he had traveled there on business and then attended the president’s rally on a whim. But most importantly, Pham told the agents, he did not go inside the Capitol during the attempted insurrection.

That’s when an FBI agent showed him his own deleted images and videos from inside the Rotunda on Jan. 6, according to court documents.

Faced with the photo evidence, Pham then allegedly admitted to climbing over torn-down fences to get inside. But still, he insisted his reasons were benign: He just wanted the rare opportunity to view “historical art,” investigators said.

Back