• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022-23 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Forbes and Heiar were on Gregg Marshall's staff together at Wichita State

Haier was on staff for the year that Damari played at ETSU, 2020-21

Heiar was also the head coach at NW Florida State last year, the school where Forbes got his restart. There's a clear connection there between Forbes and Heiar... he didn't just randomly end up at ETSU right after Forbes or randomly end up at NW Florida State. Love Forbes, but he's been connected with some sketchy dudes from Pearl to Marshall to Heiar and I believe another example or two that are escaping my mind. Not the best trend in the world but if you have enough friends in the world of college coaching you probably know some scumbags. They're everywhere .

Heiar was also the head coach at NW Florida State last year, the school where Forbes got his restart. There's a clear connection there between Forbes and Heiar... he didn't just randomly end up at ETSU right after Forbes or randomly end up at NW Florida State. Love Forbes, but he's been connected with some sketchy dudes from Pearl to Marshall to Heiar and I believe another example or two that are escaping my mind. Not the best trend in the world but if you have enough friends in the world of college coaching you probably know some scumbags. They're everywhere .

What would you say if someone told you there were no virgins in college basketball?

Yeah, Heiar is close to both Forbes and Damari, they both posted about his hire when he went to NMSU. Don't think it really means anything, but interesting to note. Clearly did not have the program disciplined, but that gun/shooting incident seemed weird, and I could kind of see how the instinct was that he wanted to take care of his guy(s), even if it meant doing a wildly wrong thing. The hazing, yeah, I don't know how much that is directly on the head coach, though he is in charge and deserves the consequences.

Forbes is also tight with Heiar's predecssor Chris Jans, I believe, who seems sketchy and got fired from Bowling Green for some sketchy behavior towards co-eds. But he can coach.

The hazing incident shows, at a minimum, that Heiar made no effort to build team chemistry, which Forbes does in spades. (Team dinners with varying required seating, etc)

Yeah, Heiar definitely fucked this up, and who knows, maybe he considers hazing to be building team chemistry, or something backwards like that, and sort of implicitly gave the go ahead or some encouragement. Sounds like a shit show all around.

Stop with the guilt by association BS. Shameful.

What happened NM State this year means nothing about Steve Forbes, his character or the WF basketball program. Assinine to suggest as much. So, Forbes and Heiar are friends. WGAF?

Mike Helms played basketball on some great WF teams in the late 1970s early 1980s. He was very popular among the players and on campus. Had tons of friends. After Helms graduated, he made some very poor decisions and was indicted on 15 counts of dealing cocaine and did hard time in prison. Helms was even caught dealing after he was on work release from an earlier conviction. He did some bad things. So, if you are friends with Mike Helms or a teammate of Mike Helms, then you must do drugs? You must deal drugs? You must be a bad person? You must hang out with a bad people? You must have a poor character?

F No. People make stupid decisions. People get caught up in bad situations and react poorly. People have a lapse of judgment. It doesn't mean that everyone that is a friend, colleague or teammate would have made the same decisions, engaged in the same behavior or condoned or accepted Helms' actions. Does this really even need to be explained?

People can't possibly be stupid enough to think that because Steve Forbes is a friend of Greg Heiar that Steve Forbes character is impacted in any way by what went down in Las Cruces, New Mexico in November and December 2022. Steve Forbes was busy a couple of time zones away leading his basketball program.

FWIW, Mike Helms turned his life around and after getting out of prison spent many years helping people with the same problems.

It's one thing to acknowledge that Forbes and Heiar have a connection. That is a fact, but to try to spin that connection into an allegation that Steve Forbes or Monsanto or anyone at WF is stained in any way by the NM State hazing, is wrong and pathetic.

Last edited:
Stop with the guilt by association BS. Shameful.

What happened NM State this year means nothing about Steve Forbes, his character or the WF basketball program. Assinine to suggest as much. So, Forbes and Heiar are friends. WGAF?
People can't possibly be stupid enough to think that because Steve Forbes is a friend of Greg Heiar that Steve Forbes character is impacted in any way by what went down in Las Cruces, New Mexico in November and December 2022. Steve Forbes was busy a couple of time zones away leading his basketball program.

EXACTLY!!!

Hell, I went to a very large high school and more than a few people I knew quite well ended up in prison. That doesn't mean I'm also a felon. Lunacy at its finest!! Btw, one now runs a prison ministry and completely turned his life around!!!

EXACTLY!!!

Hell, I went to a very large high school and more than a few people I knew quite well ended up in prison. That doesn't mean I'm also a felon. Lunacy at its finest!! Btw, one now runs a prison ministry and completely turned his life around!!!

I’m sure you’re guilty of something.

It's one thing to acknowledge that Forbes and Heiar have a connection. That is a fact, but to try to spin that connection into an allegation that Steve Forbes or Monsanto or anyone at WF is stained in any way by the NM State hazing, is wrong and pathetic.
Who is doing this? I think we're all just pointing out that Forbes has connections to a number of sketchy dudes, which is less than ideal. Did anyone extrapolate from there and say that means Forbes and somehow Monsanto are stained? Not that I've seen.

Back