• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

man, didn't see that coming. he was ass today though.

I’m kind of shocked by it, but he doesn’t look anything like he did in 2018. Combine that wuth the velocity thing and this is where we end up I guess, although I’d have preferred a move to the bullpen

91 and 11 BB/9 doesn't work in the pen either. Still, pretty quick trigger. Given he's always been a child and now looks 20 lbs lighter, I am sure there is more than just the velocity loss.

WOW. Had Folty pitched against the Mets and you like offense it could have been a 14-14 football game that broke out.

The Braves have some attitude problems and Folty gets rid of one of those. I still think the main problem with this team is the offense. Ungodly number of Ks so far. Inciarte needs to be on the bench IMO. Duvall has a good glove and we need any pop possible.

The Braves have some attitude problems

Got any evidence of that?

I still think the main problem with this team is the offense.

After watching the inability to throw strikes by our number 3 and 4 SP's (Newcomb/Folty), you think the primary problem is an offense that includes Freeman, Acuna, Albies, and Ozuna?

Ungodly number of Ks so far. Inciarte needs to be on the bench IMO. Duvall has a good glove and we need any pop possible.

I only have anecdotal evidence of this, but I'm pretty confident K's are up all around the league, probably due to the few number of summer camp games.

I’m kind of shocked by it, but he doesn’t look anything like he did in 2018. Combine that with the velocity thing and this is where we end up I guess, although I’d have preferred a move to the bullpen

The velocity drop is concerning for sure. I was surprised by the move but can't say I disagree with it entirely. A change might be good for Folty. He needs to get more consistent if he's going to be successful wherever he ends up.

I feel like a lot of his issues are between the ears.

The velocity drop is concerning for sure. I was surprised by the move but can't say I disagree with it entirely. A change might be good for Folty. He needs to get more consistent if he's going to be successful wherever he ends up.

I feel like a lot of his issues are between the ears.

So many fans talk about the mental issues with Folty, which is weird to me. There's probably some merit to it, as we can see him melt down on the mound when he runs into a rough inning, but at the end of the day none of us have any idea the extent of how much of this is mental for him. His fastball has always given up tons of HR's, and if he isn't generating swing and miss on the slider (which he hasn't consistently since 2018), he isn't going to be effective. I think there's been regression in his actual stuff/pitching, regardless of his supposed inability to stay in the game mentally.

Also the speculation on his weight and potential corresponding issues has been rampant, not necessarily here but other places I read, and that's reckless. I've literally seen suggestions that he is a clubhouse cancer/drug user which led to him being DFA'd, which is a ridiculous accusation considering that all it is based on is his inability to maintain his cool on the mound and a visually slimmer figure.

So many fans talk about the mental issues with Folty, which is weird to me. There's probably some merit to it, as we can see him melt down on the mound when he runs into a rough inning, but at the end of the day none of us have any idea the extent of how much of this is mental for him. His fastball has always given up tons of HR's, and if he isn't generating swing and miss on the slider (which he hasn't consistently since 2018), he isn't going to be effective. I think there's been regression in his actual stuff/pitching, regardless of his supposed inability to stay in the game mentally.

Also the speculation on his weight and potential corresponding issues has been rampant, not necessarily here but other places I read, and that's reckless. I've literally seen suggestions that he is a clubhouse cancer/drug user which led to him being DFA'd, which is a ridiculous accusation considering that all it is based on is his inability to maintain his cool on the mound and a visually slimmer figure.

i think a lot of the people that "speculated" about tommy hanson's extracurricular activities are weighing in here and people are putting pieces together.

Got any evidence of that?

After watching the inability to throw strikes by our number 3 and 4 SP's (Newcomb/Folty), you think the primary problem is an offense that includes Freeman, Acuna, Albies, and Ozuna?

I only have anecdotal evidence of this, but I'm pretty confident K's are up all around the league, probably due to the few number of summer camp games.

Evidence of Inciarte’s attitude problems has been rampant for years. Just look up his social media. His treatment of fans and reporters borders on infantile.

Yes, I do think the problem is the offense. We have tons of pitching depth if you include the 60 man and the bullpen. Strikeouts have been up for years but last night 16 of 20 outs had come via K. I don’t know what the number ended up being but that’s pathetic. Acuña struck out in 11 of his first 18 plate appearances and he’s one of the 4 good players you mention. With a DH, we have to be more than 4 deep on offense. I even grant that Dansby looks good right now. In a 9 batter lineup we just don’t have enough. Duvall would help that if he was in there everyday. Contreras may end up being a saving grace also. Who knows with Riley.

The Braves have some attitude problems and Folty gets rid of one of those. I still think the main problem with this team is the offense. Ungodly number of Ks so far. Inciarte needs to be on the bench IMO. Duvall has a good glove and we need any pop possible.

Snit has deployed the roster correctly so far.

First thing is for Acuña to stop striking out every at bat. Still not seeing the ball at all but I’m sure he’ll be fine soon.

Tomlin looks like our 3rd best pitcher. Maybe he should start.

Bold move to cut Flotzy after one start. They know something we don't.

First thing is for Acuña to stop striking out every at bat. Still not seeing the ball at all but I’m sure he’ll be fine soon.

None of us would be panicking 5 games into a 162 game season. It just feels very urgent at the moment.

Cutting a 6.4 million dollar starter after one start is always cause for concern.

Freddie hadn't struck out 4 times in over 400 games until last night. I think he's only done it 3 times now in his career. These guys are just swinging at air up there (except for Dansby).

No clue what is wrong with the bats. At least make contact. Terrible approaches at the plate right now. We knew going in the starting pitching beyond Soroka and Fried could fall anywhere from suprisingly good to disastrous. Unfortunately it has been terrible so far. Hard to utilize the strong bullpen if starters can't get beyond the 3rd inning. Let's hope home field makes a difference starting today.

The other teams' analytics gurus must have seen something in the Braves down the stretch last year. Steady dose of high fastballs and low off-speed that will certainly continue for the rest of the season (at least against pitchers that can hit their spots).

I'm not really concerned about the offense at all five games in, the bats will wake up and be fine.

Albies: .217/.217/.435 Acuna: .143/.217/.190 Freeman: .143/.400/.214

Those three are all established enough that we know those numbers are going up, probably soon.

I am very concerned with a SP rotation that right now looks like: Soroka/Fried/Newcomb/Wright/???

Depth at SP includes: Wilson, Anderson, Toussaint, Davidson, and Chacin. I can't say I'm in love with the options with only a 60 game season, which is part of why I was so surprised Folty got DFA'd. With the emphasis on ATL minor league SP in the past 5 years it really is incredible that we are in this position.

Back