• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

Meh that took an absolutely perfect relay to get him. I think Dansby scores 9/10 times there.

With two outs, sending Dansby was the right call. In addition to the perfect relay, the Phils catcher did a nice job to hang on to the ball.

Meh. I recognize it took a good throw to get him, but Segura/Gregorius (don't know who threw it) both are more than capable of that. If sending someone home requires a bad throw to be safe, it's a bad send at the MLB level, even if that does work out sometimes.

I think it's the wrong call considering Workman was struggling and d'Arnaud was at the plate next. If it's the winning run instead of the tying run, or if somebody like Camargo/Ender/Riley is on deck, I'd be more ok with the decision to send him.

It was also funny that the first intelligent thing Arod said last night was about Dansby's lack of a big secondary lead with the 1B playing deep, which absolutely cost us tying up that game.

It was also funny that the first intelligent thing Arod said last night was about Dansby's lack of a big secondary lead with the 1B playing deep, which absolutely cost us tying up that game.

He did make a good point, but I thought “lazy” was the wrong word.

He did make a good point, but I thought “lazy” was the wrong word.

It's one of those things that I totally get how it happens. He just grounded into a fielder's choice, and Freddie hits the first pitch for a double. 99% of the time nobody even notices that Dansby was just going through the motions until the ball was hit. But as the tying run with Freeman at the plate, you kinda hope he'd be better than that.

Both base coaches deserve some of the blame for the outcome.

Aggressive baserunning has worked out in the Braves favor this year in the vast majority of cases - hard to argue with sending Dansby there. It wasn't just that it needed to be a perfect throw, it also bounced up the line a bit basically allowing for the quasi-legal block of home plate that got reviewed. 9 times out of 10 Dansby beats that with the new rules. We've sent Ozuna in like 3 far worse situations and he's made it.

Aggressive baserunning has worked out in the Braves favor this year in the vast majority of cases - hard to argue with sending Dansby there. It wasn't just that it needed to be a perfect throw, it also bounced up the line a bit basically allowing for the quasi-legal block of home plate that got reviewed. 9 times out of 10 Dansby beats that with the new rules. We've sent Ozuna in like 3 far worse situations and he's made it.

Yeah it was a no-brainer to send him. Even if it's only 7/10 to beat the throw (I still think it was more like 9/10 too), that's still much better odds than getting a hit in the next AB, even with a fairly hot d'Arnaud at the plate.

I agree that I generally prefer aggressive baserunning to conservative baserunning.

I think the quality of that throw is being overstated a bit here though. The throw was up the line, which allowed the block of Dansby, but makes it a closer play as the tag happens up the line from the plate. He also two-hopped it from the start of the outfield grass, which definitely slowed the ball down some. You want to one hop it to make it easier to apply the tag, but that ball could have got from Gregorius to the plate a bit faster.

I recognize this is probably being pedantic, but I think Dansby is safe way less than 9 out of 10 times if you start him wherever he was when the ball hit the cut off man with Didi Gregorius making the throw. I'd personally put it closer to 50/50, which actually means that I'm still wrong from earlier and you do send Dansby there with 2 outs. So really I've accidentally turned this into a conversation about something pointless as I type this.

There's a lot of noise about Ian Anderson potentially making his debut sometime soon. Even with our desperate need for SP, I'm not sure I'm excited about it. I'm always wary of rushing SPs developmentally, and Anderson is only 22 with 24.2 career IP at AAA. I think I'd rather find a band-aid solution through the trade market.

There's a lot of noise about Ian Anderson potentially making his debut sometime soon. Even with our desperate need for SP, I'm not sure I'm excited about it. I'm always wary of rushing SPs developmentally, and Anderson is only 22 with 24.2 career IP at AAA. I think I'd rather find a band-aid solution through the trade market.

Jethro Tull entrance music?

Acuna back and Anderson starting tonight. I guess if Anderson can do it against Gerrit Cole and the Yankees he can do it against anybody.

Thanks Braves for denying me a fifth straight evening of no Yankee baseball to watch after dinner.

Guess, the layoff really impacted Acuna. Wow.

Anderson’s CU doesn’t look good but the CH will play. Command better than expected.

Freddie was jacked after that HR. Love to see the emotion. And one day Acuna is going to hit one out of the stadium. Wasn't too far off last night.

I did like the tweet the Ozuna homer was the second longest off Cole in the Statcast era. The longest being Acuna's two innings earlier.

And somehow we are off again today. GD.

I did like the tweet the Ozuna homer was the second longest off Cole in the Statcast era. The longest being Acuna's two innings earlier.

And somehow we are off again today. GD.

shhhh! we will take all the off days to have a very well rested BP. and so we don't have to watch Camargo tonight.

Back