• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

Zero hits since the 4th. I don’t think they’ll ever get over the hump. Two different elimination games up 2-0. Another where pitching only gives up only 3 runs. Just another epic postseason choke.

This one hurts real bad. Don’t know if I’ve ever been more disappointed in sports.

This weekend in Georgia Sports:

UGA loses to Alabama
Georgia Tech gets annihilated by Clempson
The Braves blow the NLCS
...And the Falcons managed to win a game...which is basically a loss because it hurts them in the Tank For Trevor Sweepstakes.

Zero hits since the 4th. I don’t think they’ll ever get over the hump. Two different elimination games up 2-0. Another where pitching only gives up only 3 runs. Just another epic postseason choke.

This is an excellent, succinct summary of the series.

Macro view - We went to training camp with 6 candidates for 5 starting pitching spots. By mid-August, Braves were down to one legitimate starting pitcher (Fried). Making it to game 7 of the NLCS was amazing and miraculous. Not just the pitching situation...the Braves have to overcome having Snitker as a manager on a daily basis.

Micro view - this series was an epic Braves choke job. Tigerswood summed it up well. The T-ball baserunning errors tonight were just the icing on the cake.

Yep. You can acknowledge that the Dodgers were the better team and it’s improbable that the Braves were even in that position, while also acknowledging that they pissed it away to an extent.

Gonna need to temper my Braves fandom. Baseball is a great game but has way too much luck involved, over 4+ hour games, to hang on every pitch.

Yep. You can acknowledge that the Dodgers were the better team and it’s improbable that the Braves were even in that position, while also acknowledging that they pissed it away to an extent.

Gonna need to temper my Braves fandom. Baseball is a great game but has way too much luck involved, over 4+ hour games, to hang on every pitch.

I read yesterday several times "Well if you had told me at the at the start of the series Braves would take the Dodgers to game 7 with a chance I would have taken it..blah blah." The problem with that statement is your expectations change as a series goes and when you're up 3-1 you should win the series, especially with your two best starting pitchers going in games 6 and 7. I will give the Dodgers a lot of credit though. They fight off pitch after pitch better then anytime I have ever seen. Their bullpen arms throw serious heat as well.

Braves "should" be even better next year barring injuries and have a chance to be back in it next year.

This is an excellent, succinct summary of the series.

Macro view - We went to training camp with 6 candidates for 5 starting pitching spots. By mid-August, Braves were down to one legitimate starting pitcher (Fried). Making it to game 7 of the NLCS was amazing and miraculous. Not just the pitching situation...the Braves have to overcome having Snitker as a manager on a daily basis.

Micro view - this series was an epic Braves choke job. Tigerswood summed it up well. The T-ball baserunning errors tonight were just the icing on the cake.

Doesn't Snitker deserve some credit for handling the pitching situation adroitly enough to get the Braves as far as they got?

Doesn't Snitker deserve some credit for handling the pitching situation adroitly enough to get the Braves as far as they got?

Snitker handled the pitching situation pretty damn well overall. Tomlin almost blowing Game 2 did shift some momentum in the series, but they weren't going to win Game 3 anyways with Wright going like that. Pitching Minter/Martin last night after their longest outings of the year (Minter's career) could be criticized, but they had been elite, and I'm not sure who else you go with. Would have liked to have given Ynoa another shot after looking so good in his only one appearance (in the blowout loss). Pinch hitting Camargo for anyone (even a somewhat struggling Markakis) is pretty dumb too, IMHO.

Honestly, Ron Washington probably deserves a decent amount of criticism. Maybe Ozuna and Dansby just didn't listen to him, but you would not expect those base running blunders to happen with a veteran like him at 3rd base.

I am not saying this is the case with oldschooldeac, but I know a lot of Braves fans who basically believe any success the Braves have is in spite of their manager. I heard that same complaints about Bobby, Fredi, and now Snit (poor bullpen management, too loyal to players, poor in game decisions). BTW I don't think Snit is perfect (no manager is) but I do think he is a lot better then he gets credit for.

Baserunning mistakes and too many missed scoring opportunities. Acuna no showed this series. But getting played to bring in Minter against three RHHs when he is on fumes is not smart.

Complaining about Snitker after an NLCS appearance with one starter is a lot like slamming Wake's offense after putting up 148 points in 3 games without Newman and Surratt...

AA and McGuirk need to get working on their pitch to Liberty on why this is a such a great offseason to spend money when everyone else will be looking to shed payroll. But I don't think we do anything major.

Complaining about Snitker after an NLCS appearance with one starter is a lot like slamming Wake's offense after putting up 148 points in 3 games without Newman and Surratt...
Well he is lucky we won the game because nobody is even talking about his biggest amateur hour mistake.

What about Ozuna ? Seems like that's going to take a lot of money and he probably won't produce for the next three years the way he did over the last 70 games.

Ozuna is probably gone and AA will try to replicate the middle of the order bat elsewhere. Ozuna going from a center fielder to a guy who runs like both his hamstrings are strained and throws like he is using the wrong hand makes me nervous about a multi-year deal.

How does DH money compare to OF money? Perhaps Ozuna/his agent realize that he's no longer a viable OF, and would take less money accordingly?

Pain from that loss is still fresh, but two immediate thoughts are:

1. Speculation, but I have to assume that Acuña’s wrist has been bothering him this series. Just didn’t look like himself at the plate.
2. I have no idea why Snit is being blamed. The top 3 in our batting order, which is the strength of our team that carried us here, went 6 for 33 with 3 BBs and 2 RBIs in Games 5-7. That’s why we lost this series. It’s not on the pitching, which held a great Dodgers offense to 7, 3, and 4 runs. It’s not on the manager for how he managed the bullpen. It’s on the bats and the baserunning errors. Losing because of the strength of the team sucks, but it is what it is.

Back