• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

Snitker may be a good clubhouse manager but he’s a horrible game manager. Camargo as a pinch hitter, not leaving in a filthy Matzek after 14 pitches (at least until he puts someone on), leaving Jackson in instead of a lefty to pitch Bellinger, and even then Chavez in a high leverage situation.

Travis is also turning into a pretty big liability. He hit into two double plays, one with 1 out and a runner on 3rd and is like 0-8 throwing out base runners.

I mean the umpire scorecard shows that balls and strikes heavily favored the dodgers in both games 1 and 2 no mention of that. the dodgers get a bad call in one inning and the announcers talk about it for the next several innings. And then when the dodgers were struggling they were like cheerleading them on you don't need a home run here just get a hit.

I can’t believe more wasn’t made of the foul ball call to Riley. Ball clearly bounced inside the line and looked fair. A ball way further left was called fair against the Brewers, but you know, Dodgers and MLB…

Ruling was ball obviously hit the line but passed the base in foul territory. In the infield where it first lands is inconsequential, it's where it passes the bag.

Edit: Nm. Y'all must be talking about a different play. I didn't see whole game due to moving. Sorry.

Last edited:
Snitker may be a good clubhouse manager but he’s a horrible game manager. Camargo as a pinch hitter, not leaving in a filthy Matzek after 14 pitches (at least until he puts someone on), leaving Jackson in instead of a lefty to pitch Bellinger, and even then Chavez in a high leverage situation.

Travis is also turning into a pretty big liability. He hit into two double plays, one with 1 out and a runner on 3rd and is like 0-8 throwing out base runners.
Fair on Travis, but his defense behind the plate on bad pitches from relievers more than makes up for this in my opinion.

Can you guys give me an example of something you heard them say that indicted they are rooting for the Dodgers?

For me it was more their general tone rather than the specific content of what they said. I'd describe it as restrained jubilation when momentum was building for the Dodgers vs. not so for the Braves. But that's a typical subjective feeling for a fan of a sports team.

So agree on Snit as he just sticks to formula vs playing odds. Belli was 116 vs lefties. How do you not go to a lefty then??? Just unfathomable as he has no feel for games.

So agree on Snit as he just sticks to formula vs playing odds. Belli was 116 vs lefties. How do you not go to a lefty then??? Just unfathomable as he has no feel for games.

Well there were two left handed options left in the bullpen, so tell me which one you were in favor of

1. Drew Smyly. (I don’t really think I need to clarify why Snit did not do this)
2. Will Smith

I personally do not trust Will Smith to get me 3 outs in the ninth without chaos, and in this case you’d be asking him to get 5 outs. So I’m with Snit over you guys on this particular decision.

For those complaining about Snit, just realize that Dave Roberts has done a hell of a lot worse this series than Snit has. Snit’s biggest fault IMO has been leaving in pitchers for one or two ABs too long (Jackson should not have pitched to Taylor). Dave Roberts tonight started an infielder in center field and tomorrow is relying on a starting pitcher that he used needlessly in relief two days ago.

While I cuss Snit regularly during the regular season, he's been the clear better manager in this series so I can't complain too much. As was mentioned above I trust Jackson much more in that scenario than I do Smyly, or having to trust Will Smith to get more than 3 outs for the first time this year (or ever?)

Biggest issues were just execution. Left too many runners on base. Cringed when Jackson threw another fastball up with two strikes on Bellinger. He was sitting on it.

Well there were two left handed options left in the bullpen, so tell me which one you were in favor of

1. Drew Smyly. (I don’t really think I need to clarify why Snit did not do this)
2. Will Smith

I personally do not trust Will Smith to get me 3 outs in the ninth without chaos, and in this case you’d be asking him to get 5 outs. So I’m with Snit over you guys on this particular decision.

Yeah I don't fault Snit for this one. We had chances to add on more runs and couldn't get it done.

For those wanting Matzek to have come back out- the pitchers spot was 2nd in the order the next inning so Matzek would have to gone to bat to come back out (Adrianza grounded out so maybe it wouldn't have mattered). The last time he had a plate appearance was 2015.

Can this Braves team recover and still win the series or will it fall apart like past Braves playoff teams (1996 World Series, last years NLCS)? Based on our history doesn't look good.

Can this Braves team recover and still win the series or will it fall apart like past Braves playoff teams (1996 World Series, last years NLCS)? Based on our history doesn't look good.

I think if we can win just one of the ones in LA, then I will feel good about things. So either today or tomorrow. Needing to win one out of the two left at home is a much smaller ask than needing to win both of them against this Dodgers team.

I think if we can win just one of the ones in LA, then I will feel good about things. So either today or tomorrow. Needing to win one out of the two left at home is a much smaller ask than needing to win both of them against this Dodgers team.

I agree with this. I never expected to sweep the Dodgers and would have gladly taken a 2-1 lead at this point at any point in the last week. We were pretty lucky to win the first 2 and the luck ran out last night. I don't think that necessarily means it's over.

Urias doesn't seem particularly scary to me tonight after Roberts inexplicably used him Sunday night in relief and I like our chances with Fried tomorrow vs. what I expect will be another Dodgers bullpen game. Win 1 of those 2 and I like our chances of winning 1 of 2 back in Atlanta on the weekend.

I agree with this. I never expected to sweep the Dodgers and would have gladly taken a 2-1 lead at this point at any point in the last week. We were pretty lucky to win the first 2 and the luck ran out last night. I don't think that necessarily means it's over.

Urias doesn't seem particularly scary to me tonight after Roberts inexplicably used him Sunday night in relief and I like our chances with Fried tomorrow vs. what I expect will be another Dodgers bullpen game. Win 1 of those 2 and I like our chances of winning 1 of 2 back in Atlanta on the weekend.

I think Fried gives us our best chance to get a win in LA. A win today would be awesome.

So assume Ynoa gets the nod with some rotation of him along with Martin, Smyly and Webb to try and get 5 innings before going to the usual suspects for 6-9?

For me it was more their general tone rather than the specific content of what they said. I'd describe it as restrained jubilation when momentum was building for the Dodgers vs. not so for the Braves. But that's a typical subjective feeling for a fan of a sports team.

Agree with this. They were talking up Pujols during several of his AB's and seemed very excited during the bottom of the 8th when the Dodgers took the lead. Also couldn't stop fawning over Jansen and how he's not a one trick pony reliver anymore. His double leg kick before he winds up is annoying to me. I'm also bitter the Braves lost last night so...:noidea:

So assume Ynoa gets the nod with some rotation of him along with Martin, Smyly and Webb to try and get 5 innings before going to the usual suspects for 6-9?

I would bet they start Minter and see if they can get 2 from him, and then go from there.

Curious if they'll start Max in game 5. The one advantage the Braves have in this series is their pitching setup. The Dodgers lost a Scherzer start because he was on short rest, and arguably lost game 1 because they had to kick things off with a bullpen game.

The Braves can wait till they get back home and then pitch Max and Charlie in the final 2 both fully rested.

Back