• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

You guys realize there’s a concrete definition for a strike zone right? Not hard to adjust a box on TV based on that definition (top of shoulders to bottom of knees).

People bitched about doing away with linespeople and going with Hawkeye in tennis. It’s created a FAR better product. Baseball is long overdue for our robot umpire overlords.

how often does top of shoulders get called a strike?

Everything’s a strike!

Until the back half of the inning…

I mean there have been 3 incorrect calls in this inning. Umps are corrupt and atrocious. Should be 1-0 right now and 1 out.

Really? So, the midget Jose Altuve will have the same strike zone box as Aaron Judge?

Pretty much. It varies from network to network and park to park for that matter. It is inconsistent and haphazard. It’s not the same system that umpires use to study their games. I’m not saying it’s never adjusted but it’s pretty obvious when you look at it on the screen that it varies from batter to batter. Also it doesn’t take into account the change in the zone as a batter moves throughout the pitch.

Pretty much. It varies from network to network and park to park for that matter. It is inconsistent and haphazard. It’s not the same system that umpires use to study their games. I’m not saying it’s never adjusted but it’s pretty obvious when you look at it on the screen that it varies from batter to batter. Also it doesn’t take into account the change in the zone as a batter moves throughout the pitch.

It should vary from batter to batter. And the strike zone doesn’t move mid pitch. A batter can’t just duck to have his shoulders at his knees and make the zone tiny. I’m confused.

How can people watch a car drive itself through real-life traffic and think that computers just aren’t smart enough these days to call a strike just because batters are different sizes?

There is zero issue with a computer calling every actual strike a strike and every ball a ball. Any noise about failures or redundancy or accuracy is just noise. The real problems are umpires, traditions, and how many corner/framed pitches will draw irate reactions when they’re called correctly.

Sure there is the tradition and umpire union thing, but it's not all just noise. None of the current systems do a very good job of adjusting with different batters and adjusting through the changes in a batter's stance through the pitch. That changes the zone. What if he squares, what if he stands straight on a ball that runs up and in. Did the zone just grow? I'm not saying it can't be done...I'm just saying it's more complicated than people realize.

Also everyone will still bitch. There are pitches that nick the zone that end up in the dirt, or running way in on a batter's armpit. But it would definitely be consistent at least and maybe that would make everyone happy enough.

It should vary from batter to batter. And the strike zone doesn’t move mid pitch. A batter can’t just duck to have his shoulders at his knees and make the zone tiny. I’m confused.

The strike zone does move mid pitch. What if a batter squares to bunt? The zone is set when the batter is in a swinging position, not at the start of the pitch.

I could certainly be wrong, but can you send a link showing where the zone changes mid pitch? Players square to bunt all the time and pull back.

I could certainly be wrong, but can you send a link showing where the zone changes mid pitch? Players square to bunt all the time and pull back.

I'll see if I can find you something, but what I mean is the strike zone is based on the batter's body when attempting to strike at a pitch. That is established sometime between the pitcher beginning his delivery and the pitch being delivered. Watch D'Arnaud for example. He's practically standing straight up until he goes into his pre-swing/swing. That is where the zone is established. You can't just take a picture at the beginning of the windup and call it set. It doesn't work that way and is a little more difficult to program a computer to do. A batter squared to bunt is a smaller zone than swinging stance. That can change in the middle of the pitch. There are plenty of times you see the box somewhat lined up on the tv at the midpoint between the shoulders and belt, and then when the batter goes into his stride the pitch hits the top of the box but is shoulder high, because he shortened the zone with his stride. It happens every pitch and is hard to account for with a computer. Not that it can't be done, but none of the technology is currently doing it.

It’s just idiotic to shift with 2 strikes and the DP in order. Inning should be over.

It’s just idiotic to shift with 2 strikes and the DP in order. Inning should be over.

Exactly. Houston doing a good job of getting base hits and going against the shift. More teams should be working on that. Heard in pre-game they were working on that during BP today.

Back