• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Carolina Panthers Thread - Move to the 2023 thread

The way I see it, Wilks was given the best opportunity to earn the head coach position and he failed. Just because he did better than expected doesn't mean he was entitled to the job. I was extremely frustrated with the performance against Pittsburgh and even more with the game at Tampa Bay. His decision making on offense was highly questionable, and the inability to adapt to the one play that worked for Tampa (deep throws to Evans) was concerning on the defensive side.

Win the Tampa game, against a team we honestly should have beaten, and the job was probably his. There is NO WAY he doesn't get the job if he wins the division. I like Wilks, but I cannot stand this whining when he was given the opportunity.

Hopefully Reich works out. Hate it for Wilks, but also remember the collapse against Tampa when the division was on the line

Yeah unlike so many others he was given the opportunity but it didn’t work out. Also it’s extremely rare the interim head coach gets hired.

The way I see it, Wilks was given the best opportunity to earn the head coach position and he failed. Just because he did better than expected doesn't mean he was entitled to the job. I was extremely frustrated with the performance against Pittsburgh and even more with the game at Tampa Bay. His decision making on offense was highly questionable, and the inability to adapt to the one play that worked for Tampa (deep throws to Evans) was concerning on the defensive side.

Win the Tampa game, against a team we honestly should have beaten, and the job was probably his. There is NO WAY he doesn't get the job if he wins the division. I like Wilks, but I cannot stand this whining when he was given the opportunity.
I mean yes, but none of the offensive coaches on the staff he had any say in. if made the HC he could have brought in his guys.

I know Snow and Rhule are kinda tied at the hip, but it woulda been interesting to see if we woulda won the division if we had kept Phil around. Offense certainly improved post-coaching change but the defense came up short in several key games and situations

Wilks as HC and Reich as OC could have worked out but not the other way around.

I don’t have to worry about Matt Ryan coming to the Panthers, right?
Is Matt Ryan super Jesusy? Reich only likes QBs who are, and he is a true believer who thinks that God decides who wins and loses football games.

If he really cared that much about religion he would have done everything in his power to get Kirk Cousins no matter the cost.

I think the post mortem on the 2022 season is that Steve Wilks would have gotten the head coaching job if DJ Moore hadn't taken off his helmet.

I think the post mortem on the 2022 season is that Steve Wilks would have gotten the head coaching job if DJ Moore hadn't taken off his helmet.
Guess depends on if the Bucs woulda lost to the Falcons in Week 18 if they were actually trying. Don't think they woulda but it is unknowable

That's out of his control. He could have gotten the head coaching job if he brought safety help over the top for CJ Henderson on Mike Evans. He blew the Tampa game, that's on him.

This was (mostly) about getting an offensive guy with the plans of drafting a QB on top of that.
You need to move up to 1 to get Young or Stroud, and that'll cost you as much as trading for Lamar. Might need move up to 4-5 to get Levis, depending on what Seattle wants to do. That will be considerably less expensive. You could stay put and probably get AR. Or you could take Hooker or Tanner McKee (Stanford) in the 2nd. So which option do you choose?

That's out of his control. He could have gotten the head coaching job if he brought safety help over the top for CJ Henderson on Mike Evans. He blew the Tampa game, that's on him.

Sometimes our fates are out of our control.

Back