• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

what is the biggest job a Wake assistant has been hired for (directly, not eventually)?

used to be our head coaches that moved to South Carolina

so Shaheen Holloway to Seton Hall seems like a 100% lock now.

BJ McKie chatter getting stronger in Columbia- seems like it is down to him and Chattanooga coach.

I really don't want to lose McKie, but its probably inevitable.

If McKie doesn’t get Gamecock job, I could def see Him in running for one of these mid majors that have just opened up

Savage also was an assistant at Chattanooga for a few years, so wouldn't be surprised if his name (or Mckie; guessing Shay might not want to deal with the Tenn. state system again so soon, but who knows) pops up if the So. Carolina gig goes to the Chatt. guy.

Edit - I guess ETSU and UT are in different systems kinda like they have in California or something, but whatever.

Last edited:
what is the biggest job a Wake assistant has been hired for (directly, not eventually)?

used to be our head coaches that moved to South Carolina

That’s a great question. I can’t think of any Wake assistants who moved on directly to a head job. I thought about Ernie Nestor going to Elon but he followed Odom to SC first.

Savage also was an assistant at Chattanooga for a few years, so wouldn't be surprised if his name (or Mckie; guessing Shay might not want to deal with the Tenn. state system again so soon, but who knows) pops up if the So. Carolina gig goes to the Chatt. guy.

Edit - I guess ETSU and UT are in different systems kinda like they have in California or something, but whatever.

They may be in different systems, but the people running both systems come from the same state.

Ricky stokes got a couple of head coaching jobs but was not hired as a wake assistant. I believe he was an asst at Texas when he was hired . He was terrible at va tech and ECU.

Mack and Kelsey both went back to Xavier as asst’s before they got head jobs.

Last edited:
Brett Ballard was an assistant at Wake when he was hired as the head coach at Washburn.

Dino Gaudio went from WF assistant to WF HC.

Wainwright is interesting because he came to WF to work for Staak. After WF fired Staak, GDO kept Wainwright on his staff, and then UNCW hired Wainwright (who then got the Richmond and the DePaul head jobs) .

Frank Haith was an assistant at WF for two different stints. After his second stint (1997-2001), Haith then moved on Texas for 3 years as an assistant, before getting the head Miami job. Until I just looked it up, didn't realize Haith was the HC at Miami for 7 seasons (he took them to one NCAAT and multiple NITs).

McMahon has an incredible record at Murray State, but they have been playing in an awful Ohio Valley conference (Murray State is moving to the Missouri Valley next year), and during McMahon's tenure at Murray, they have always had a ridiculous talent edge (McMahon had Ja Morant playing against the lowest level D1 players) over their competition; teams like SIU Edwardsville, Tenn-Martin and Eastern Illinois are pathetic. While McMahon deserves credit for finding and recruiting that talent, the few times that I have watched Murray, they have never impressed as an incredibly well-coached team. If BJ gets the SC job, would not be shocked if BJ turns out to be the better hire, despite the lack of HC experience.

Chat coach gets job. So McKie stays for now

If you want an entertaining thread: https://247sports.com/college/south...onday-afternoon-update-2-pm-184901550/?page=1

They were already in absolute meltdown mode before the McMahon news broke and that seemed to snap the rest of the people.

Seems like most people are now "fine" with the idea of BJ because of the SC player connections and his legend status and to just be over the embarrassment so far.

"To read this post and more, subscribe now -50% off Annual VIP Pass first year
Become an Annual VIP member today and get access to VIP content, ad-free forums & more."

"To read this post and more, subscribe now -50% off Annual VIP Pass first year
Become an Annual VIP member today and get access to VIP content, ad-free forums & more."

I tried 25+ times to sign up and no matter the device i could never get past the capcha. ID10T error I guess. They never got my money. I should not have to call and spend time on the phone to get it to work.

Mizzou hires Cleveland State HC Dennis Gates. Gates was a long-time assistant under Leonard Hamilton at FSU before the CSU gig.

Back