• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 College Football Coaching Carousel

Caldwell provides a good life lesson. If you fail at your first big break, get yourself a good mentor, stick close to them, and learn everything you can. More opportunities will come.

Caldwell was only 45 when he was fired. He immediately joined Tony Dungy's staff and had plenty of success.

Caldwell provides a good life lesson. If you fail at your first big break, get yourself a good mentor, stick close to them, and learn everything you can. More opportunities will come.

Caldwell was only 45 when he was fired. He immediately joined Tony Dungy's staff and had plenty of success.
This and finding the right space/org in which you can thrive. Both jobs have the same title, but being the CEO of a startup is much different than taking over the reins of a Fortune 500 company. Saban, Chip Kelly, Rhule, etc. are all examples of guys who couldn't hack it in the NFL, but this works the other way too.

Probably one of the biggest factors keeping Clawson at Wake is that we have a reasonable low key fan base. We aren’t the insane type to put up a billboard to get a coach fired, or fill a coliseum parking lot with toilets to crudely signify how shitty we think our coach is.

Yeah, his experience at Tennessee has to be factored into all of this.

As a hypothetical, let's say Clawson is making like $4mm/yr right now and Nebraska comes knocking with $25mm/5 years fully guaranteed. He'd clear $5mm more over the span of the contract, but that's assuming no other raises from Wake. Clawson doesn't seem like someone who's going to want to hang it up and retire 5 years from now, but the very real possibility of getting shitcanned by Nebraska after 2-3 seasons means that he'd either have to go back to a G5 school or ride it out as a coordinator, neither if which seem palatable.

This is a really long way of saying that taking a job like Nebraska could lose him money in the long run because he could coach another 10 years at Wake, win 8 games every year, not get fired, and keep cashing P5 head coach checks.

The availability of NIL money at a school like Nebraska does factor in, but Wake would probably beat the shit out of Nebraska right now. We'd probably beat A&M too despite their NIL class. There's also the gamble that there will be no changes made to NIL policy or laws regulating NIL money, which could make this much less of a factor in the future so I don't think NIL is a big enough factor to roll the dice on given his current position.
No way Nebraska pays their next HC “only” $5M a year.

Dooley was really too old to garner much attention from anywhere else. Caldwell didn't have success to get another opportunity. I think Grobe is the first one that had chances to move on because of his success and didn't, but then his success ceased.
Dooley was only 58 when he retired. His decision to hang it up had a lot to do with the lack of investment in the program and knocking heads with Gene Hooks.

Probably one of the biggest factors keeping Clawson at Wake is that we have a reasonable low key fan base. We aren’t the insane type to put up a billboard to get a coach fired, or fill a coliseum parking lot with toilets to crudely signify how shitty we think our coach is.

there are lots of reasons Clawson will most likely be staying in Winston for a long time

Most schools would've done that after only 2 years of [Redacted] though.

Dooley was only 58 when he retired. His decision to hang it up had a lot to do with the lack of investment in the program and knocking heads with Gene Hooks.
Wow, I would've thought he was older than that.

100%. Wake and Clawson are a unique combination that I think we all take for granted. Wake is one of the few P5 schools who was willing to give him 3-5 years to build a program. Many of these schools with meddling boosters and Wal-Mart fans are simply not going to have that kind of patience. Clawson is very deliberate, stubborn and going to do it his way. And that takes time. This is a key reason why I think Clawson stays unless something very, very unique emerges.
Can anyone fathom a job that would really turn Dave's head and make him ponder such a move? I agree that it would have unique as said above, but its hard to even figure what that might look like.

Don’t lie to us.
I obviously would prefer to keep Clawson because he's understood the assignment from day 1. When it's time for our next hire, if we are getting poached by jobs that are "better" than us then it means we've been successful. Cash the buyout check and make another good hire. Much rather hire coaches with a program trending up than down.

All of the current openings, (Ariz St., Colo, Gtech, Nebraska, Wisconsin) have something about them that coaching candidates will find intriguing. Add in the likelihood of Auburn, and these are all schools that can open the checkbook pretty wide. I would probably rank them as:
1. Auburn
2. Wisconsin
3. ASU
4. Nebraska
5. Colorado
6.Gtech

But different coaches are going to see things differently.

I'd put Tech over Colorado and Nebraska over ASU due to the uncertainty around the Pac-12.

All of those jobs have something horrible about them, but ASU and Ga Tech are the worst jobs on that list. Ga Tech is easily the lowest paying on that list.

There's minimal uncertainty about the PAC-12. It's just a question of what day is it all going to fall apart with the west coast schools augmenting the B1G and the others getting folded into the Big 12.

Or just spend one to two years at the Nick Saban coaching rehabilitation retreat. I look forward to special assistant Scott Frost in 2023.

Scott Frost showed in 2017 that he knows how to beat Auburn and win a national championship. Alabama only did one of those things that season.

All of those jobs have something horrible about them, but ASU and Ga Tech are the worst jobs on that list. Ga Tech is easily the lowest paying on that list.

There's minimal uncertainty about the PAC-12. It's just a question of what day is it all going to fall apart with the west coast schools augmenting the B1G and the others getting folded into the Big 12.
Herm was making about 4 mill a year which isn't bad for a Power 5 coach. Arizona has a bunch of good HS players, plus you have the proximity to California and Texas to recruit. You aren't going to beat out USC or Texas for players, but you can still get a good number of 4 stars. In state competition isn't that daunting either. HS kids will like the party school vibe. Nebraska and Colorado are probably more complete rebuilds, and they don't have the in state talent like Arizona. I am not saying ASU is a top 10 job, just that I can understand its appeal for a coach over Colorado or Nebraska.

Arizona State has had seasons with more than 8 victories seven times since 1983. The glory days during that stretch where in 2013 and 2014 when they won 10 games back-to-back under Todd Graham, won their division once, and got to go to the Holiday Bowl and the Sun Bowl. It's not awful by any means, but they've been to the Rose Bowl twice in recorded history and won it as many times as Georgia Tech.

Herm was making about 4 mill a year which isn't bad for a Power 5 coach. Arizona has a bunch of good HS players, plus you have the proximity to California and Texas to recruit. You aren't going to beat out USC or Texas for players, but you can still get a good number of 4 stars. In state competition isn't that daunting either. HS kids will like the party school vibe. Nebraska and Colorado are probably more complete rebuilds, and they don't have the in state talent like Arizona. I am not saying ASU is a top 10 job, just that I can understand its appeal for a coach over Colorado or Nebraska.
With the field you're hiring against this cycle, some of the schools on that list are in for a rude awakening when it comes time to negotiate contracts. Especially after all the hullabaloo about the avalanche of cash these new TV deals will bring in. There will be some terrible contracts when we look back 3 years from now.

Back