• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 races (and 2021 for weird commonwealths like Virginia)

Lulz - Your evidence proving he's a Nazi is that he visited a tourist attraction in Germany years before he ran for Congress?

And the link to the Rolling Stone article based on "unnamed" sources is even more laughable. Has Rolling Stone finished paying out the lawsuits yet over the gang rape hoax story at UVA?

Good stuff as always, barca.

do you even know how journalism works with sourcing? ever heard of Deep Throat?

well let's see if he's subpoenaed by the committee and surely if he has nothing to hide he'll comply fully.

Imagine losing to that guy.

Thus you have the gop philosophy of “doesn’t matter got votes” in a nutshell. Cawthorn is objectively a pretty shitty person, but he counts in the win column so all is forgiven if not celebrated.

I’ve long held this theory of “morality of wealth” in evangelical circles where a guy like trump is perceived to be close to god since he’s got the perception of wealth. “Doesn’t matter got votes” is an extension of that. Winning elections is perceived as a moral good in and of itself.

Imagine losing to that guy.

Lolz. With the exception of Buncombe County pretty much every county in his district is deep, deep red, and most of them have been that way for decades. As long as he has an (R) next to his name he's golden.

Thus you have the gop philosophy of “doesn’t matter got votes” in a nutshell. Cawthorn is objectively a pretty shitty person, but he counts in the win column so all is forgiven if not celebrated.

I’ve long held this theory of “morality of wealth” in evangelical circles where a guy like trump is perceived to be close to god since he’s got the perception of wealth. “Doesn’t matter got votes” is an extension of that. Winning elections is perceived as a moral good in and of itself.

Alternatively, the Dems could try running someone who isn't a raving lunatic.

Lolz. With the exception of Buncombe County pretty much every county in his district is deep, deep red, and most of them have been that way for decades. As long as he has an (R) next to his name he's golden.

yeah he beat a very moderate retired Air Force Colonel so it shows how red the district is. Now, the new 14th District includes most of Watauga County and theoretically gives Ds more of an advantage than they had in 2020, but not much.

Moe Davis had a poor operation (he blames the Dem party for no help). I tried multiple times to volunteer but never got contacted by the campaign, and he is somewhat of an asshole as proven by his tweets still ongoing, but his resume on paper is about as ideal for a Dem in the district as possible.

However it is apparent that this is the direction of GOP legislators. Expect more Cawthorns and MTGs.

Oh, yeah. Cawthorn, Boebert, MTG, etc. are likely the vanguard of whole new type of legislator. Unlike traditional members of Congress they don't get elected to pass legislation or propose bills or serve on committees or really do anything of substance. Instead, their goal is to stay in the spotlight nationally (not only in their district) via trolling libs on social media 24/7 by saying and doing ever more outrageous things. It's as if they see their job as being an internet celebrity and treating their position as a reality-tv show rather than anything a traditional politician would do. Fun times.

Oh, yeah. Cawthorn, Boebert, MTG, etc. are likely the vanguard of whole new type of legislator. Unlike traditional members of Congress they don't get elected to pass legislation or propose bills or serve on committees or really do anything of substance. Instead, their goal is to stay in the spotlight nationally (not only in their district) via trolling libs on social media 24/7 by saying and doing ever more outrageous things. It's as if they see their job as being an internet celebrity and treating their position as a reality-tv show rather than anything a traditional politician would do. Fun times.

Cawthorn did say when entering office that he hired staff for communications, not legislation. now, they do a really shitty job of communicating, but imagine how much worse of a job legislating he does.

Alternatively, the Dems could try running someone who isn't a raving lunatic.

Yes, I'm sure that's why he lost, given Cawthorn's own behavior throughout his campaign. It doesn't matter who the Dems run in that district, they're going to lose.

LOL. When Democrats engage in Republican-style violent rhetoric, Republicans think those Democrats are crazy.

Moe Davis had a poor operation (he blames the Dem party for no help). I tried multiple times to volunteer but never got contacted by the campaign, and he is somewhat of an asshole as proven by his tweets still ongoing, but his resume on paper is about as ideal for a Dem in the district as possible.

I think it is possible the Dems made the calculation that Highland suggests (good money after bad) and decided to focus their efforts elsewhere.

I'm interested in the Dem primary for the US Senate. Very winnable seat. Either candidate could beat Budd, but watching the Dems decide who their standard bearer will be is definitely going to test this theory (beyond just the District). Charismatic young ball of energy versus a proven commodity on Statewide races. If you like politics, this one is going to be fun to watch.

1) fear monger to fundraise
2) crazy rhetoric in the press and tweets to fundraise
3) win primary
4) run against baby-killing queer-loving America-hating commie Dem in general, win (and get jh's vote because, I mean, still better than a dem who will raise his taxes and allow the baby-killing :noidea:)
5) continue fear-mongering and insane rhetoric to fundraise instead of legislating because government is the problem not the solution, (with jh approval because until the Dems run a tax-slashing pro-life supply-sider, can't vote dem its their fault they didnt get his vote :noidea: )
6) kiss Trump ring
7) repeat

Tim Moore not gonna run for the House. Guess he realized Cawthorn would beat his ass.

You should get out of your bubble.

Try as I might, I have yet to be able to expand my bubble to include the uneducated redneck hicks that make up his base, but I'm sure I'm one weekend youth soccer tourney in Fayetteville away from finding a crowd of them.

LOL. When Democrats engage in Republican-style violent rhetoric, Republicans think those Democrats are crazy.

Dems should try posting more anime videos of violently murdering their opposition with swords.

he hasn't done one productive thing for the district, and steps on his dick every other day with one dumb thing after another. he doesn't interact with constituents at all, other than at carefully planned events to get a home team crowd. he has had one virtual town hall, but all of the questions were carefully curated. he doesn't have a district office in Buncombe County, which is by far the biggest county in his district and just shows his open disdain for a lot of his constituency. people I know who have tried to contact his office have never gotten responses when that is by far not the norm for members, even if they don't agree with you.

he is pitifully stupid, and really shows what a lack of education can do for someone in a position of power. plus he's a Nazi who helped plan January 6.

Is this a joke about his disability?!?!?!1

This is the preacher who told The Daily Show in 2017 that Trump was a God-fearing Christian man who supported traditional marriage. Now he's running for Congress. And the Cult of Trump continues.

Remember when people would wait until every four years for their candidate to be president?

Back