• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 races (and 2021 for weird commonwealths like Virginia)

Weird post…are you saying we should go buy guns to fight or what is this

The first paragraph is an answer to your question "where's the bottom?" Armed insurrection/civil war.

The second paragraph is a question. If the far right hits that bottom, can you protect yourself, your family and your home? When the nut jobs are willing to quit the democratic process and begin to call for violent action, it is best to determine how you will proceed with life in the event that happens. Domestic terrorism has been considered the single biggest threat to this country for several years by the FBI and other alphabet federal enforcement agencies. This scenario doesn't seem so far fetched anymore. Hypotheticals can become actualities quickly.

Sure but the police aren’t going to protect us from right-wing terrorists.

All of your argument is why the left needs to fully embrace gun control and defund the police. The gun nuts, gun nut politicians, and cops will commit and allow right-wing violence against us. If it gets to the point where we have to individually defend ourselves, it’s already too late.

Last edited:
I've read about Senate Republicans having less campaign money nationally for this year's candidates than they thought. Maybe the reason why is that Scott is a crook who has been shifting funds to himself. Apparently they can't stop grifting even when control of the Senate is at stake.

Last edited:
If Democrats can understand that the moderate members of their base won’t abide leftist policy then those same Democrats should understand that a significant portion of their base are gun owners/enthusiasts and won’t abide extreme gun control measures. The Democrats who oppose defunding the police are the same ones who have been flocking to gun stores in the past 5 years. Certainly the messaging around these gun control measures has been corrupted by Republicans, but the fact remains that a lot of Democrats own guns and want to keep them.

Last edited:
Rick Scott is a crooked grifter. That’s just who he is.

Lots of yummy stuff in that article.

“ leading some campaign advisers to ask where all the money went and to demand an audit of the committee’s finances”

“If they were a corporation, the CEO would be fired and investigated,” said a national Republican consultant working on Senate races. “The way this money has been burned, there needs to be an audit or investigation because we’re not gonna take the Senate now and this money has been squandered. It’s a rip-off.”

But I thought Republicans hated audits. I guess it’s ok for them to audit crooked Republicans but not for us to audit crooked Republicans to make sure they’re paying taxes.

“As of that month, the committee disclosed spending just $23 million on ads, with more than $21 million going into text messages and more than $12 million to American Express credit card payments, whose ultimate purpose isn’t clear from the filings. The committee also spent at least $13 million on consultants, $9 million on debt payments and more than $7.9 million renting mailing lists, campaign finance data show.”

How do you rent a mailing list? If it cost $7.9M to rent, how much does it cost to buy or get a lifetime subscription?

The American Express credit card payments brings to mind when they had to pay back donors they were billing monthly instead of as one-time transactions if I remember correctly.

I need to start Off the Plantation Blexit Freedom LLC and get some of that sweet GOP consulting cash.

“Some Republicans also suspect former president Donald Trump’s relentless fundraising pitches and cash hoarding has exhausted the party’s online donor base.”

Well yeah. They knew he was a snake…

Also when everything coming out of the party is panicking about gas prices and inflation, maybe people will start clutching their wallets.

“Vance benefited in the primary from about $10 million by an allied super PAC funded by technology billionaire Peter Thiel. But people involved in the race said it’s unclear whether Thiel, whose style in the past has been to invest early and then bow out, will put money behind Vance in the general election. Thiel also funded the Arizona Senate bid of Republican nominee Blake Masters, his former employee.”

LOL.

Love the part about Trump sucking up all the money. The guy who is not currently running for office and if he did it’d be 2 years from now.

It seems like Republicans are over-panicking just a touch.

That being said, yeah, putting the fraudster with presidential ambitions in charge of your committee may have a downside or two.

That’s arguably the best part.

The same people who thought it was harmless to let Trump spend two months making false claims about the election are now big mad that he’s cockblocking their fundraising with those same claims.

Oh man, I was referring to Rick Scott. That's my bad for not clarifying which Republican fraudster.

But yeah, with you otherwise!

“Vance benefited in the primary from about $10 million by an allied super PAC funded by technology billionaire Peter Thiel. But people involved in the race said it’s unclear whether Thiel, whose style in the past has been to invest early and then bow out, will put money behind Vance in the general election. Thiel also funded the Arizona Senate bid of Republican nominee Blake Masters, his former employee.”

LOL.

lol

I was referring to Barca’s post about Trump. You just snuck in between. They’re all fraudsters.

I think it’s telling that the NRSC isn’t making endorsements like they did in 2010 and 2012. They’re letting the (future) inmates run the asylum.

Yes, it’s a problematic saying but it applies here.

Last edited:
Ah, yeah, that makes more sense.

I also love Mitch McConnell whining about candidate quality. Poor, powerless, Mitch McConnell.

Decent people don’t have a chance anymore in the degenerate GOP…that’s on them for taking what seemed the initially easier and later intractable path of leveraging ever increasing dishonesty for power over the last 20 years.

The core of the GOP is maintaining a racially homogenous party. At several points, Republicans have had the choice to make changes needed to have broader appeal.

We know about the report after the 2012 election. Here’s a good interview that discusses the report the GOP commissioned by Black Harvard professor Ralph Bunche to write in 1939 and another report written by a Black Republican consulting group in the 70s.

https://www.vox.com/2020/9/8/214271...publican-trump-black-vote-the-ezra-klein-show

Ezra Klein

And what does Bunche recommend?

Leah Wright Rigueur

Ralph Bunche gives them this comprehensive report [on] where the New Deal has failed. He essentially says the New Deal hasn’t gone far enough — that the New Deal has had discriminatory practices and policies ingrained even in some of its most effective programs. But he also says the Republican Party has not done enough — that the Republican Party should be going further in its policies, and they can no longer rely on the “spirit of Abraham Lincoln” freeing the slaves to move Black voters.

So he argues in favor of all kinds of policy changes. He says you need to be more effective on health care and calls for universal health care. He says you need to be more effective on Social Security relief, finance, agriculture, labor — all of these different areas. He says there is room for the Republican Party to make inroads among Black voters by speaking to the very issues and needs that Black voters want. He’s also very explicit about the need for these programs and policies to be economic.

When the Republican Party gets this report initially, they widely praise it. They said this exactly what we need. But Bunche put in a caveat saying either you publish the report in full or you don’t publish it at all. So when the Republican Party comes back and says they only want to publish the parts where he attacks the New Deal, Bunche says no: You have to publish the entire thing or not at all.

So they end up not publishing it at all, but bits and pieces end up being leaked to the press, particularly the Black press and the Black media. It comes to be known, particularly as Bunche is making the rounds, talking about the fact that the Republican Party has a blueprint for how to move African Americans back into the party but they’re unwilling to do it.

Ezra Klein

I love this story because it seems to me that it’s been the same question for a long time now: The Republican Party wants to win back Black voters, but what they would like is for there to be an easier way to do it than to have to change their policy agenda to meet the actual economic and social needs of Black voters. They keep looking for a message or an orientation or a messenger. But every time somebody comes to them and says, look, African Americans have a very high uninsurance rate, you need a better idea for what to do about that than the Democrats have, they say no, we want some other way of addressing this.

Leah Wright Rigueur

Absolutely. I think there are a couple takeaways from that Ralph Bunche report. The first is that he says you cannot run with both hare and hound, meaning that the Republican Party has to decide whether it wants to court, say, the dissident white vote of the Democratic Party and rely on racial antagonisms on the backs of Black people — or do you really want Black voters? You cannot seduce both. And in the case of Black voters, economic policy in particular is really, really important.

In the 1970s, we see McNeill and Associates, which is a Black Republican consulting group consulting with the RNC, say virtually the same thing that Ralph Bunche has said in 1939 and 1940. They say we have to find a way to make these ideas palatable or attractive to Black people because right now, Black voters are making a pragmatic vote even in cases where they don’t like Democrats — even in cases where they might be more aligned religiously, spiritually, what have you, with the Republican Party.

They will not choose the Republican Party because, one, they believe Republicans are racist and racially antagonistic, and two, there are no [Republican] policies that they see affecting their day-to-day lives for the better.

It’s the two things that go hand in hand. And all too often we see that Republicans recognize this, but they’re unwilling to make either one of those kind of significant structural changes in order to actually get a significant proportion of the Black vote.
——————

Republicans choose racial antagonism in an increasingly diverse world. So that means I’m order to maintain power, they have to appeal to the fringes of American society like white nationalists and more recently anti-vaxxers.

Ah, yeah, that makes more sense.

I also love Mitch McConnell whining about candidate quality. Poor, powerless, Mitch McConnell.

Yep and really get a good laugh when trump rags on him and calls his wife crazy. Hilarious watching these dipshits go after each other

Politics is a team sport.

Back