• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 races (and 2021 for weird commonwealths like Virginia)

Intellectually decent? I'd settle for Intellectually competent at this point.

The sad thing is Warnock didn’t attack too hard I read because he has good favorables and didn’t want to mess that up. Guess he let Walker do all the talking for him. But I just hope there are enough voters in GA who don’t care that he used to run the ball real good.

He would be a starting tailback on any team in the SEC today.

The North Carolina midterms got some attention in The Atlantic.

No North Carolina governor has ever wielded the veto like Roy Cooper.

The Democrat has vetoed 75 bills in his nearly six years as governor. That’s more than twice as many as every other governor in the state’s history combined. Since its earliest state constitutions, the Old North State has been skeptical of executive power, and the governor only gained veto power in 1996. Cooper is the first governor to seize its full potential.

Cooper has rejected bills to require sheriffs to cooperate with Immigration and Customs Enforcement, to open skating rinks during the early months of the coronavirus pandemic, to loosen gun laws, and to tighten voting laws. He has also vetoed bills to restrict his own office’s powers.

The power is not absolute. As in Washington, a supermajority can override the veto—in North Carolina, three-fifths of both chambers of the legislature. Until 2018, Republicans held more than the 30 Senate and 72 House seats they needed to override the governor, and they did: In his first two years as governor, Cooper vetoed 28 bills, but 23 of them were overridden. Two years later, Democrats cut into Republicans’ margins, and since then, every veto has been sustained.

The balance of power in the North Carolina General Assembly is up for grabs in this year’s election. Politicians and experts on both sides of the aisle agree that the real battle is not over whether Republicans can maintain control of the legislature but over whether they can reclaim a supermajority. The GOP needs to win just two seats in the Senate and three in the House to do that. Whether it succeeds will have major implications for the direction of the state, which has often served as an incubator for conservative governance. But the answer could also be pivotal for an even bigger question: how available abortion will be in the region. Most states in the Southeast have abortion laws that are generally more restrictive than North Carolina’s, making the state a magnet for women seeking access—at least for now...

How difficult would it be for the Democrats to have one person with a sign outside every polling place that reads, "KILL SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE. VOTE REPUBLICAN."

I mean it'd be pretty sweet to not have social security and medicare taken out of my paycheck

And yet many polls show Lake leading her Democratic opponent and there are several recent articles which say that she is gaining momentum. What a world.
Would be fine with Lake winning if it resulted in AZ seceding. Would also be fine with Abbott and GOP governors of every southern red state winning if it meant that their states would secede. Tired to sharing a country with them.

True. But at the same time we shouldn’t let Republicans weasel out of debates.
I'd prefer separate 1 hour + sessions with each candidate and a media person asking questions. Each candidate on different nights with the same set of questions; we'd get rid of the cross talk and interrupting and actually hear responses. Let's have Jon Stewart interview each candidate for president separately for like 2 hours each some time in july/august.

Would be fine with Lake winning if it resulted in AZ seceding. Would also be fine with Abbott and GOP governors of every southern red state winning if it meant that their states would secede. Tired to sharing a country with them.

Texas has 5.2 million democrats and the %is increasing

Arizona has 1.2 million

The South is a hotbed of activism for Progressive change.

As we’ve seen, Wisconsin has its own share of regressive assholes.

Texas has 5.2 million democrats and the %is increasing

Arizona has 1.2 million

The South is a hotbed of activism for Progressive change.

As we’ve seen, Wisconsin has its own share of regressive assholes.

There is a good chance this is the last (relatively) free and fair election we have. If that happens, my opinion is that the only way to survive is to divide, or democrats will be steam rolled as the country turns authoritarian. Perfectly fine with Wisconsin going if they vote that way (they are well on their way), and I will happily move to the West Coast or Northeast if the country geographically divided that way.

https://medium.com/@kyle.i.chan/how-to-divide-the-united-states-into-two-countries-f388903876b

Back