• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 races (and 2021 for weird commonwealths like Virginia)

The fact this isn't being condemned enough is going to end with people being hurt or killed. I mean it already has, but this can go off the rails even worse. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but damn. Like half of my friends from back home are Jewish. My fiance grew up in St. Louis and almost all of her friends from there are Jewish. I'm really worried about all of them.
Yeah, my folks still live in Winston, and I'm scared to death that one of these days something horrible is going to happen to them. We grew up with cop cars parked outside every Friday, but now it just feels so much more real. For as emboldened as a handful of awful humans were in the 90s, it's just so so so much worse now.

Yeah, my folks still live in Winston, and I'm scared to death that one of these days something horrible is going to happen to them. We grew up with cop cars parked outside every Friday, but now it just feels so much more real. For as emboldened as a handful of awful humans were in the 90s, it's just so so so much worse now.
Yeah man. I remember growing up it not being weird to see a cop car at bar and bat mitzvahs we'd get invited to, community seders, etc. but I've been talking with my Jewish friends about it and they've all been saying the same thing more or less. Growing up the thought of acts of violence never really crossed their minds. Obviously it was a possibility but they were always more worried about acts of vandalism or some yahoo showing up and making a scene. A lot of them are scared to even go to temple rn.

Shit, we were at wedding in St. Louis last spring where they hired a couple cops for security and checked invites at the door because they didn't want to take any chances.

What's basically "no true Scotsman" rhetoric from people like the Mastrianos is really scary and, while conservatives will certainly fail to see it, this type of speech isn't any different from what clowns like Kanye and Kyrie are spewing.

The fact this isn't being condemned enough is going to end with people being hurt or killed. I mean it already has, but this can go off the rails even worse. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but damn. Like half of my friends from back home are Jewish. My fiance grew up in St. Louis and almost all of her friends from there are Jewish. I'm really worried about all of them.

But this hate speech is coming from white conservative politicians, people with real power. So nothing is going to happen unless the voters handle it.

But this hate speech is coming from white conservative politicians, people with real power. So nothing is going to happen unless the voters handle it.
From a policy perspective yes, but you can still incite people to violence in the media. Stochastic terrorism isn't contingent upon who holds political power.

From a policy perspective yes, but you can still incite people to violence in the media. Stochastic terrorism isn't contingent upon who holds political power.

I said nothing is going to happen to anti-Semitic politicians unless voters vote them out of office. Any pushback from big business will be shortlived or insufficient. Conservative politicians don’t face real consequences. That’s why their poison is allowed to fester from generation to generation.

No idea what's so difficult to understand about this...

I said nothing is going to happen to anti-Semitic politicians unless voters vote them out of office. Any pushback from big business will be shortlived or insufficient. Conservative politicians don’t face real consequences. That’s why their poison is allowed to fester from generation to generation.

I didn't question the power of stochastic terrorism. I said anti-Semitic conservative politicians will face no consequences for their speech and Frosty misread my post and thought I said anti-Semitic politicians will cause no consequences. I basically made the same point you made on the other thread.

This is a really good one. It's important to learn how fascism works because what we're seeing now is almost textbook. A lot of what we're seeing right now was endemic in political and popular culture in the 1930s, from regressive racism from an aggrieved conservative party to rampant anti-Semitism among some of society's most popular icons (e.g., Ford and Lindhberg). It's hard to be blase about any of what's happening right now in Amerikkkan culture if you know your history.

Huh. It's really not so hard!

I didn't question the power of stochastic terrorism. I said anti-Semitic conservative politicians will face no consequences for their speech and Frosty misread my post and thought I said anti-Semitic politicians will cause no consequences. I basically made the same point you made on the other thread.
Does this count as bullying?

Unless I'm way off base, I don't think I misread your post. I agree with your post from a policy perspective and I don't know what I said that would insinuate that I think you said anti-semitic politicians cause no consequences. I obviously know you don't believe that and that's not what you're saying.

What I was trying to draw a line between is the language used by Mastriano's wife and that pushed by people like Kanye and Kyrie. They both work to otherize Jews by questioning Jewishness, whether by claiming Jews aren't the "real" Jews or that unbridled support for Israel is somehow the determining factor of one's Jewishness.

I agree that the effects of the anti-semitism pushed by white conservative politicians can be mitigated by preventing them from being in political positions of power where they can craft policy. What I was trying to get at, beyond this, is that this same line of anti-semitic thinking is being pushed by other people who are not politicians and who have huge cultural influence in the U.S., so preventing anti-semites from winning elections, while obviously important, addresses part, not all, of the issue.

I think we're mostly on the same page here, but I probably didn't elaborate enough.

I think we're in agreement overall, but we're talking about very different aspects of the same problem.

Just saw a Fetterman ad during the WS, even though I live in Virginia. (It was not the Dr Nick one).

I'm not sure how much those numbers mean, tbh. PA doesn't even have early voting, so that's mail in, which you would expect to skew heavily Dem.

Back