• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 WFU bowl speculation thread

HoosierDeac

Reaction score
Have at it- is this year we finally go to El Paso? What are the tea leaves saying?

Weird that there’s been no strong rumors so far. No “I saw Currie talking with Holiday Bowl reps before the game” or “I know a rep for the Military Bowl and he told me it’s Wake unless we win out.”

Saw one guy pre-game last night walking around with a Cheez-It blazer. Either he was drunk and had been to Goodwill or he was from the Cheez-It Bowl.

Seems like an abnormal number of teams will end in the 6-6/8-4 range so anyone really could end up anywhere other than Clemson and UNC at the top.

He stopped by our tailgate for a few. He's a rep for the bowl who lives in the area.
Are "bowl reps" still even a thing? Seems like with conference tie-ins there's not much "selection" to be done at the local bowl level any more. Back in the day, if a bowl made an offer to "select" your team, you had to commit to buying X number of tickets to the thing in order to get a bid. But let's say we end up in the Sun Bow based on conference tie-in; can the bowl "obligate" us to buy a certain number of tickets in order to participate?

Are "bowl reps" still even a thing? Seems like with conference tie-ins there's not much "selection" to be done at the local bowl level any more. Back in the day, if a bowl made an offer to "select" your team, you had to commit to buying X number of tickets to the thing in order to get a bid. But let's say we end up in the Sun Bow based on conference tie-in; can the bowl "obligate" us to buy a certain number of tickets in order to participate?
Yes they can. We are required to buy x tickets.

I saw one projection that had us in the Military Bowl against ECU, don't shoot the messenger.

We win against Duke and I feel sure that we will end up going west- to the Holiday or Sun. If we lose, who knows?

We win against Duke and I feel sure that we will end up going west- to the Holiday or Sun. If we lose, who knows?
Clawson said on his radio show that he told the team that the more wins we can get, the warmer will be the bowl game.

Seems like WF has played in the Military Bowl too many times. Nothing says reward for a good season like a trip to Maryland in late December.

2008 (DC) and 2016 (Annapolis), so we're not due for a couple years. Maybe the location will change by then, too.

The Fenway Bowl should announce pretty shortly after this week wraps up given the early time (December 17) as well as the fact that a lot of ACC teams have exams during that period (Wake does not). Cuse is probably in the driver's seat for that bowl right now.

I'd try to make the Sun, Holiday, or Cheez-It bowls. We'll beat Duke and I think it's one of those 3.

2008 (DC) and 2016 (Annapolis), so we're not due for a couple years. Maybe the location will change by then, too.
That makes it Wake's 5th most recent different bowl. Wake's been to Charlotte twice since going to the Military Bowl. I think we're due.

Clemson should get the OB.
UNC, FSU, and ND will get the #2-4 slots (likely Gator, Cheez-It, and Holiday)

I'm guessing Duke or State gets Duke's Mayo. State hasn't been since 2015. Duke since 2015

Cuse/Pitt to Fenway/Pinstripe. Wake/Duke or State/Louisville going to Sun/Military/Gasparilla seems most likely.

That makes it Wake's 5th most recent different bowl. Wake's been to Charlotte twice since going to the Military Bowl. I think we're due.

Clemson should get the OB.
UNC, FSU, and ND will get the #2-4 slots (likely Gator, Cheez-It, and Holiday)

I'm guessing Duke or State gets Duke's Mayo. State hasn't been since 2015. Duke since 2015

Cuse/Pitt to Fenway/Pinstripe. Wake/Duke or State/Louisville going to Sun/Military/Gasparilla seems most likely.
Clemson is going to the CFP if ND takes care of USC.

Clemson is going to the CFP if ND takes care of USC.
The path for Clemson to the CFP is still very tough to cross.

Consider:
  • The loser of Michigan-Ohio State will still be above Clemson unless the game is an absolute blowout
  • LSU needs to lose to Georgia in the SEC Championship
  • USC needs to lose to Notre Dame

TCU likely plays Kansas State in the Big 12 Championship; TCU won that game 38-28 earlier this year. They'd need to lose as well, and then the argument comes down to does the committee favor a two loss Alabama team over a one loss Clemson team (with that loss being to a Top 15 CFP team on the road; that being said, if ND loses this weekend to USC, then that wrecks Clemson's hopes).

Back