• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-2024 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

USF and UNCC in a pretty good game between teams with 7 and 8 game win streaks respectively.

USF fans just threw a drink on the floor durning a free throw.

Grew up going to tons of big time Conference USA games in Halton Arena (vs. Huggins and Cincy, Pitino and Louisville, etc...), would love to see Charlotte make it back to the big dance this year for the first time in nearly two decades.

USF and UNCC in a pretty good game between teams with 7 and 8 game win streaks respectively.

USF fans just threw a drink on the floor durning a free throw.
If USF gets their 8th win in a row over AAC 8-1 UNCC to improve to 16-5 (9-1), that's only a Q3 win and may not even get them into the top 100 in NET. USF has two bad Q4 home losses (#228 and #249), but teams should be able to get credit for improving.

Charlotte is 1-3 Q1 with their home win over FAU and a win here would get them to 2-2 Q2. The problem is the rest of their schedule is Q3 and Q4 games. They could win out and get to the AAC tournament at 23-7 with no chance at an at-large bid because they have three Q3 losses.

Amir Abdur-Rahim is a stud. Thought he was an obvious hire at GT. Would love him if Forbes leaves.

Yeah, people love to panic about bids at this time of the year. Barring some bizarre end of the season results, the ACC will get 4 to 5 bids, with 6 more likely than 3, but neither is likely. The 2 bid talk was beyond stupid, but you know what it did? It got people worked up. That's the point.

FWIW, would not be shocked if Clemson essentially sewed-up a bid with a win at UNC tonight. Yes, their conference record blows, but they have had some incredibly bad luck. Their last three losses were in OT, by 1 and by 1. Through the first 12 games of the year, Clemson was one of the best 3 point shooting team in the country. In ACC play they are shooting 30%, 14th in the league. Chase Hunter shot 37% from three in OOC games; he's shooting 17% in ACC play. PJ Hall shot 36% from three in OOC games; he's shooting 22% in ACC play. Their ACC three point defense is also 14th; so, their ACC opponents have been shooting better than expected, and Clemson has been shooting worse. Regression to the mean is coming.
All hail Pilch. I get UNC was coming off a Duke win, but I still didn't think this Clemson team was going to pull off the 2nd win ever in Chapel Hill against the best defensive team UNC has had in forever.

Grew up going to tons of big time Conference USA games in Halton Arena (vs. Huggins and Cincy, Pitino and Louisville, etc...), would love to see Charlotte make it back to the big dance this year for the first time in nearly two decades.
It has been awhile. From the mid-90s to mid-00s they were regularly in the tourney. But they have been awful since last making it in 2005.

At first I was annoyed that Clemson beat UNC when we floundered in the 2nd half there... But it's honestly better for us if Clemson can get into the top 30 of NET and we beat them at the end of the season. Seems like our metrics are going to be OK... It is just the stupid Quad system that could potentially pork us. If that Clemson game can be a rare home Q1 opportunity, that's a good thing.

I don't think it has to be a situation where the committee is choosing between UVA/Clemson/Wake if they all earn their way in relative to non-ACC bubble teams.

At first I was annoyed that Clemson beat UNC when we floundered in the 2nd half there... But it's honestly better for us if Clemson can get into the top 30 of NET and we beat them at the end of the season. Seems like our metrics are going to be OK... It is just the stupid Quad system that could potentially pork us. If that Clemson game can be a rare home Q1 opportunity, that's a good thing.

I don't think it has to be a situation where the committee is choosing between UVA/Clemson/Wake if they all earn their way in relative to non-ACC bubble teams.
Agree. Even before last night, Clemson was likely to get a bid; so, the idea that WF wanted Clemson to lose so they would fall off the bubble was very unlikely scenario. Yes, the Tigers ACC record is mediocre, but they have a great OOC resume, and their schedule really eases up (Clemson will be favored in their next 8 games until they play at WF to conclude the season). Yes, best case for WF is for the Deacs to have a chance at Quad 1 win in the regular season finale.

Agree. Even before last night, Clemson was likely to get a bid; so, the idea that WF wanted Clemson to lose so they would fall off the bubble was very unlikely scenario.
The committee has also emphasized time and again that same conference bubble teams are not directly compared against each other. Clemson falling off the bubble would be no more helpful to Wake than Gonzaga falling off the bubble.

And like you said, since Clemson is a fringe Q1 game for Wake, it is absolutely better for Wake to have Clemson do well than to do poorly (until the game at the Joel of course).

Yeah let's not overthink things too much...UNC losing is ALWAYS a good thing. I don't need metrics to tell me that.
Always!.... this also cracks the window that when Wake wins out they steal the ACC regular season even though Bacot said the ACC runs through him.

It's a bit of a mixed bag of emotions because we want Clemson and Virginia to be Q1 wins, but also don't want them to win too much for double-bye considerations.

If we just win like we should the latter will work itself out, so I'm a big fan of those two except when we play them.

Back