• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-2024 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

Just listened to the announcer say this is the best he’s seen a team guard Kentucky’s guards on the ball… looks at both teams on pace to score 100

ND gave Clemson the Wake treatment last evening. This week going to be very interesting in more ways than one.

This is great. But why not just eliminate the conference tourney if you are a 1-bid league?

This is great. But why not just eliminate the conference tourney if you are a 1-bid league?

They are not a 1-bid league and have not been for quite some time. They are, however, looking to protect their top 2-3 teams from being overworked during championship week and reward them for a good regular season. I'm more interested in the fact that they kept the "BYU Sunday off day" in the schedule even though BYU is no longer in their league.

UVA an interesting case for the tournament

Matrix currently has them in 90/104 brackets and the last bye

Torvik says they are only 26% for an at-large bid even though, with a home win over GT (83% likely), they get the 3 seed and double bye

UVA potential ACCT QF opponents include Pitt, Clemson and (let's hope not) WF. Torvik has UVA as an underdog against all 3 of those teams.

If UVA goes 13-7 but loses that 3-6 (or 3-11) game it could be interesting...

Gotta think Keatts is gone barring some crazy ACCT run, no?
Considering the best coaching job he did all year was to get himself ejected in our game, yeah he should probably get axed. Hope he doesn't though, he's so good at squandering talent it'd be a shame for Wake if he's replaced.

As for this week, afraid we've painted ourselves into too much of a corner and there will be too much pressure to beat a GaTech team that's playing well right now and a Clemson team only playing to improve their tournament seed. Really hope to be 100% wrong about that.

UVA an interesting case for the tournament

Matrix currently has them in 90/104 brackets and the last bye

Torvik says they are only 26% for an at-large bid even though, with a home win over GT (83% likely), they get the 3 seed and double bye

UVA potential ACCT QF opponents include Pitt, Clemson and (let's hope not) WF. Torvik has UVA as an underdog against all 3 of those teams.

If UVA goes 13-7 but loses that 3-6 (or 3-11) game it could be interesting...
When you look at the number of times they've been blown out, I think a 13-7 UVA team is a tough sell, just like I see a 12-8 Wake team as a tough sell. In a down ACC, I think both would have to win a couple of ACC Tourney games to merit consideration.

I know they say they don't look at conference bids, but if you have both of us out, then it's a 3 bid ACC.

When you look at the number of times they've been blown out, I think a 13-7 UVA team is a tough sell, just like I see a 12-8 Wake team as a tough sell. In a down ACC, I think both would have to win a couple of ACC Tourney games to merit consideration.
"Both would have to win a couple of ACC Tourney games to merit consideration"...

No....

So, what you are saying is this:

• UVA is 21-9 (12-7).
  • They will beat GT at home to go 22-9 (13-7). That would make UVA the #3 seed for the ACCT.
  • So, to just 'merit consideration', UVA would have to beat Pitt or Clemson or even WF in the ACC quarters, and then beat Duke in the ACC semis, just to "merit consideration?/
We get it. You go to the UVA games... they don't play Gertrude enough, Buchanan and Groves are soft.... UVA has dropped off since 2019 (no shit).... This weird self-loathing of creating impossible barriers for UVA (or WF) is just dumb. Both WF and UVA are currently in the field.

That said, like WF, UVA has work to do to get in, and both may be sweating on selecton Sunday, but the way things currently stand, neither team needs to win out to the ACCT final to 'merit consideration'. Don't be stupid.

I admit to a fair amount of self loathing and a tremendous amount of disappointment in both Wake and UVA. That said, if you stuck both in the B12, they'd each have a .300-.400 conference record.

Back