• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-2024 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

Getting really excited for Monday's opening day of college hoops. Always so fun to see a random ranked team fall on their face in game one.

Going to try really hard to root for the ACC in the non-conference (aside from UNC), so that maybe we can get more teams in the big dance this year.

Getting really excited for Monday's opening day of college hoops. Always so fun to see a random ranked team fall on their face in game one.

Going to try really hard to root for the ACC in the non-conference (aside from UNC), so that maybe we can get more teams in the big dance this year.
Same here. Massive games Friday the 10th that apparently determine the rest of the season:

South Carolina vs Virginia Tech in Charlotte
Florida vs Virginia in Charlotte
Wake Forest @ Georgia
Clemson vs UAB in Asheville
Arizona @ Duke
UCF @ Miami (FL)

Same here. For years I would buy the basketball magazines to get up to date on rosters and predictions. They would serve me well thru the Dance. We are now at the time of year that the new Wake media guide becomes available. I've checked every day for the past week but it hasn't been updated yet. The success of Alondes and Jake reshuffled the historical and records section last year. I imagine Ty will leave his mark as well. I enjoy Wake football and the relative success of this century. It will never take the status of Wake basketball for me. Arranging your life around Wake basketball games is simply a given.

Seems like there are more games against non D-1 teams than I remember. I wonder if it's starting to make sense to programs to play a good exhibition team a week before the season, then open with a D2 team that doesn't impact your NET at all.

I'm probably overthinking that, but trying to rationalize why, when there are 360+ D1 college basketball teams, that there are hundreds of games against non-D1 teams this year, is hard to compute.

Seems like there are more games against non D-1 teams than I remember. I wonder if it's starting to make sense to programs to play a good exhibition team a week before the season, then open with a D2 team that doesn't impact your NET at all.

I'm probably overthinking that, but trying to rationalize why, when there are 360+ D1 college basketball teams, that there are hundreds of games against non-D1 teams this year, is hard to compute.

it's 100% to avoid being punished for playing a bad D1 team (or 5 bad D1 teams)

By all accounts, Payne is a really good dude and probably a fantastic assistant coach. Head Coach is a totally different beast though and I think it is pretty clear he isn't cut out for it. UofL fans here in Louisville are LIVID and I have a hard time imagining him making it through the season. Manning as interim is entirely possible and will be interesting to see how the natives react to that.
That lowlife fan base deserves to have Dummy Mannequin as their head coach for the rest of his pathetic coaching career.

I get a lot of things wrong, but I posted this two months before Payne was hired (Jan 2022):

For this reason, it feels like it has to be Payne.

If it doesn't work, he can just go back to the NBA. And by the time Louisville figures out it isn't going to work, maybe they'll have money and no sanctions to worry about in making a splashier hire.

The "reason" was the ongoing NCAA investigation, which has since concluded with no real sanctions.

Just a terrible hire, but it only took Louisville a season+ to realize Payne is in over his head and now they can cut him loose and make a big hire. Should be much more interest in the job this time around.

Kind of surprised they'd consider getting rid of him before the season even starts... Feels like something must have happened that can't be overcome. There are rumors of a fight in practice between Payne and a player.

I find that hard to believe.
I don't.

Danny Manning has made $millions as a basketball coach and player. He doesn't need the small raise L'ville might offer to be the interim HC. He did the interim coach thing at MD, and with predictably bad results. DM and Payne are tight. DM isn't some young kid eager to climb the coaching ladder. He's now happy to be an assistant and stay around the game. DM was an abject disaster at WF as a HC, but with his experience and connections, DM can get high-profile assistant jobs for as long as he wants to stay in the game. Also, L'ville is going to be terrible this year, and then, they are cleaning house as soon as the 2023-4 season ends.

Why sign up to the face of a L'ville team that is going to go 8-20? Even DM isn't stupid enough to take that bait.

Back